General Discussion Triathlon Talk » LB Tri Club vs. TRIBE Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-24 10:33 PM

Subject: LB Tri Club vs. TRIBE

Hi! I live in Cerritos and have been wanting to join a tri club.  LA Tri is like the biggest name in the area, but most of their events are like a tad too far for my liking.  The closest clubs I've found after that are the Long Beach ones: Long Beach Tri Club and TRIBE/Tri Club of Long Beach.

Anyone familiar with either of them to shed light on which organization is more organized, is good for someone who has only done a few races (aka relative newbie), and any other useful information?

2011-05-24 10:45 PM
in reply to: #3517190

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Subject: RE: LB Tri Club vs. TRIBE
mtamazing - 2011-05-24 8:33 PM

Hi! I live in Cerritos and have been wanting to join a tri club.  LA Tri is like the biggest name in the area, but most of their events are like a tad too far for my liking.  The closest clubs I've found after that are the Long Beach ones: Long Beach Tri Club and TRIBE/Tri Club of Long Beach.

Anyone familiar with either of them to shed light on which organization is more organized, is good for someone who has only done a few races (aka relative newbie), and any other useful information?

Huh...I'm a member of TRIbe, and we're in the SF bay area.....are there 2?

2011-05-24 11:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange County, CA
mtamazing - 2011-05-24 8:33 PM

I've never heard of TRIBE before now, but I joined Long Beach Tri Club late last year. It's $75 for a year & you get 1 free wetsuit rental & 1 free race wheel rental plus 20% off purchases at Tri Zone in Los Alamitos. There's a monthly "mixer" at a member's house with food & sometimes guest speakers & raffles. They seem to be keen on giving away Clif Shot Bloks & other energy gels/chews so it's good for keeping my stash well-stocked. They have a lot of group practices all week, and Brick workouts. Bricks are open to everyone & their next one is this Sunday if you want to check things out. They start at 8am and meet at Tri Zone. Address is 10615 Bloomfield Street, Los Alamitos, CA 90720. I won't be there this weekend but it's a nice chance to meet some of the folks & see if it's something you're interested in at no cost.Distance: Advanced: 40 mile bike / 3 or 6 mile runBeginner: 20 mile bike / 3 mile runYou can check out their website & also their Facebook page for more info.
2011-05-25 5:08 PM
in reply to: #3517200

Tribe in Long Beach... 

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TRIBE-The-Tri-Club-of-Long-Beach/181721331871059?sk=info

http://www.TriClubLB.com

2011-05-26 3:50 PM

User image

Veteran

I myself have never heard of TRIBE either until now. They must be relatively new then. That is not a negative either. I have had a great experience and met some awesome people through LB Tri and the bricks are a good time. Monday swims are fun (once I can start going again after I get over this bronchitis I will be there) and after Belmont Shore is right there to pick up some awesome grub. Really relaxed group for the most part. 

Due to this, I would go LB Tri, but keep an eye on TRIBE since they seem to have some cool sponsors as well (Rudy Project)

2011-07-12 12:17 AM

LB Tri Club is the club for you.  www.lbtri.com  I've been a member for about a year.  great people from novice to advanced.  Respect for all.  This TRIBE group is sort of jumping on the band wagon in my opinion.  LB Tri Club has been around for about 3 years and then they start the Tri Club Long Beach.  No real original, I'm sure they are good people, but that just feels like a lame trick to try and confuse people.  My 2 cents, the Guys who run LB Tri Club don't seem to be worried about it, but as a member of the club it bugs me.

2011-07-12 12:18 AM
in reply to: #3518913

Check out the first and original triathlon club in long beach at www.lbtri.com

great group,

2012-08-10 11:12 PM

I am new to the LB area and wanted to join a Tri Club, heard about TRIBE and went to one of their event postings. It wasn't very organized and quite frankly the group wasn't very friendly. They seemed to be a few elititist that deiced to start a Tri Club. The head guy was really intense and just not cool. when I told him about a couple of friends interested  in joining he said he had to meet them first because they dont just let anyone into their club. That was a huge turn off, maybe I should check out LB Tri before checking out South Bay. Thanks for the tip.Smile

2012-08-11 12:36 AM

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with TRIBE. I'm not sure who you talked to but that doesn't sound like anyone from TRIBE. I can't say enough about board of directors at Tribe and everyone on the team. They have been absolutely amazing in everything triathlon. No pun to LB Tri, Chris and Charles run a great club. But Tribe is another awesome choice in Long Beach. If you don't believe me, come join one of the teams events. They'll welcome you with open arms.
2012-08-11 2:08 PM

Hey seekingking! My name is Raff Ripoll and I am a founding member of Tribe TriClub of Long Beach.  Let me extend a hand to you and get this cleared up. Tribe is a non-profit group of folks who promote this multi-sport lifestyle, provide mentorship, give members access to great discounts and simply get together for healthy, safe workouts at all levels. As a person specifically responsible for meeting our prospective and new members, as well as organizing our events, I hate to hear you had a bad experience. We would love to have you come back for another workout/event and check us out! Our membership grew by 25 in the past 3 months and is growing every day...so I think others are having a great experience. I have also provided a link to our next club social event. http://www.facebook.com/events/196610930467976/ When you arrive, please ask for me directly. If at any time you'd like additional info or have a question/issue to address please do not hesitate to call me at 310-920-8196.

Long Beach is a great city for this sport, with many great resources and clubs.  If you do decide that Tribe is not the place for you, maybe LB Tri or Tri Junkies would be a good option...We know both founders and we fully support their mission too. In any case, we wish you luck in the sport wherever it may take you!

Raff Ripoll

2012-08-18 12:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Beach, CA

I'm a member of LB Tri Club and really enjoy the group.  The club is well organized in my experience.  Chris and Charles are great guys and the people are friendly and always willing to share advice or meet up to train.

I am also friends with some of the guys in the TRIBE Long Beach and have had done some swim and bike training with them.  Also good people but I cant really comment on their organization.  

My suggestion is come to one of the LB Tri events and meet some of the group.  You can check the website for the next Monthly mixer and for the training schedule, you will be welcomed by everyone.

PM or email me if you have specific questions I will be happy to answer them.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » LB Tri Club vs. TRIBE Rss Feed