General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to combat big race anxiety the week/day before race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-28 9:42 PM

Subject: How to combat big race anxiety the week/day before race?

My A race this year is next week.  In the past I'm a solid performer, with a few AG podium finishes.  In about 40% of my A races, I suck.  I never seem to suck in B or C races.  Yes, some are better than others, but I think my nerves/anxiety get the best of me when I have a lot (training, pride, interest) on the line.  Please share with me your coping strategies and advice for the day/week before your big race.  Thanks.

2011-05-28 9:47 PM
in reply to: #3523368

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: RE: How to combat big race anxiety the week/day before race?
Trust your training, have fun, I take Rescue Sleep the night before and Rescue Remedy the morning of. Good luck!
2011-05-28 10:00 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Don't know if it helps with the actual feelings of anxiety but.....visualize yourself doing well. It helps to have seen the course, or at least have very good idea of it. Visualize yourself having a good swim, coming out of the water strong, being relaxed on the bike, feeling strong at specific points on the run, winning your AG, heck, winning the whole thing!  I always visualize winning it, even if I don't have a snowball's chance in H..... 

As for controlling pre-race butterflies, I'm probably not the one to ask. I'm the one who's trying not to puke at the pre-race briefing. Just accept it for what it is, a normal part of your body's revving up. Accept that you probably won't sleep well, and that one night's poor sleep probably doesn't affect performance anyway, and that most of the competition isn't getting much sleep either! For me, the only thing that really calms pre-race butterflies is putting my face in the water. So I start the swim "warm-up early! Often it's just floating around but it calms me down and (here in the tropics) keeps me from overheating.

2011-05-28 11:02 PM

User image

New user

I agree with Hotrunner.  Visualization is a great thing, take time to survey the course, visualize your steps but do not over complicate it by making notes etc, just take a few mental pictures.  Then sit and take time to work through the entire race and visualize yourself doing and feeling great.  Recall the mental pictures from the reconnaissance.

Have a basic race strategy and plan, nutriton, and contingency plans (what am I going to do if...)

Expectations are a killer for an A race.  You build yourself up so much, tell everyone you are training for it, call it an A race, put yourself through an incredible training plan and more, why shouldn't you be anxious? Try underplaying this to everyone except for yourself; after all, we only race for ourselves (charities aside). Underplay it until the very moment you need to kick it into gear; the start line gun.

Expect and accept to get little to no sleep (as all of your previous races), expect the tight transition spot, the crappy swim start position, the horrible parking and logistics of taking a bus to the start line, the fact that you forget your 'foggle' or some other 'non-necessity' that is suddenly now a matter of life and death and... smile.  Take it all in, be happy with the fact that you can start believing that you have a chance to win this race, 75% of people start knowing they are not going to win...

Relax, be mentally prepared, enjoy the day, focus on the now, not the next... You will do GREAT!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to combat big race anxiety the week/day before race? Rss Feed