United States
Ironhead Race Productions
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 12m 33s
Overall Rank = 72/349
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 14/39
Pre-race routine:

This race was only about 5 minutes from my house. Woke up at 5:30am. Ate breakfast. Took my time loaded up and drove over. Arrived about 6:15am
Event warmup:

Stood around
Swim
  • 05m
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Give me an open water swim any day of the week. What a cluster. You had people who drastically over estimated their swims and people who drastically under estimated. With people going up and back in the same lane there is very little room for passing. There were people going off in the top 50 that had no business being there. However, I am guilty of under estimating. I estimated a 5:20 swim based on what I had done at the pool in training. When I got out of the pool and looked at my watch and saw 4:55 I was really surprised. I passed one person(thank you #129 for allowing me to pass) and passed 1 more right before the end of the swim. My arms were like jelly and I could hardly get out of the pool
What would you do differently?:

Not do a pool swim!
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Transition ended up being a little better than it felt. It seemed like it took a long time. My goal was 1:30, so I hit it. No complaints.

Probably either wear my top in the pool or go with out a top on the bike.
Bike
  • 43m 13s
  • 14 miles
  • 19.44 mile/hr
Comments:

I have got to get better on the bike! That is my #1 priority this off season. Get stronger in my legs and ride, ride, ride.

Go faster??
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

This probably would have been a little bit faster if not for one near catastrophe. I get to my bike rack. Hoist the bike up and rack it, start to let go and notice the entire bike rack(with 4 or 5 bikes on it) is collapsing in my hands. I managed to hold it up and call for a volunteer to assist. Luckily my rack was right at the run out point and there were a couple of volunteers there. One of the guys took the rack and let me continue with my business at hand.

Not knock over $2000 bikes.
Run
  • 21m 38s
  • 2.9 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty decent. My goal was 7:30 per mile so I was happy. Probably could have pushed a little harder.

Go faster???
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The fact that I am sloooowwww.

Event comments:

I did this race because it is basically in my own back yard. It was my first sprint distance and it was different to say the least. Overall, I am not a big fan of the sprint. There is so much that goes into preparing for a triathlon that I want it to last a little longer. But this was fun because a couple of my buddies also did the race. One is an Ironman finisher and the other was doing his first tri of any kind. I beat one and not the other. You figure it out. I also saw alot of people I knew because I live here. All in all it was enjoyable and a good work out. I met everyone of my goals(5:20 swim, 19.5mph bike, 7:30/mile run, 1:30 T's) and I did not get injured with my Half coming up in 2 weeks. I think I could have pushed harder and improved my time but I did hold back at times to ensure no injuries with Prairie Man in 2 weeks.

I am confused about my final time according to run-far. They show 1:14:33. There is an * next to my final time so I am assuming I was assessed a 2 minute penalty for something. I have no idea what it could have been. I never drafted during the bike, even if I did, I didn't see a single official on the course. I did not leave anything on the course either. So I do not know what that is for, so I am going with my time. When I was loading up my gear, I did see 2 officials by my bike rack pointing in my direction but I heard them same #132. I was #130. It doesn't matter. Just annoying if they are assessing you a penalty and you don't know why.

Well I found out why I was assessed a 2 minute penalty. Placement of Equipment. I racked my bike on the end of the rack(last bike) because there was a curb right next to the rack and I figured it would be a good place to sit down during transition. I set up my T area immediately next to my bike and left to go get my chip. I returned to find a bike racked(the wrong direction I might add) directly over all of my equipement. I could not even get to any of my stuff. So I waited for this person to return but after about 10 minutes I took it upon myself to move their bike. I left it in the same spot but just put in the right direction for her race number. This way I could still reach my equipment for transition. About that time another competitor shows up and needs to rack her bike. The rack was completely full and she had no where to rack. I moved a couple of bikes down and allowed her to rack next to me but she had no where to set up her transition. We were the last rack on that side of the transition and it was in a corner of the parking lot. So she said she would just set her stuff up over next to the curb. Upon reveiwing this, I thought to myself I would do that as well because there was no way I was getting to my set up the way it was. So I moved mine as well. My gear was up next to a curb directly in front of my bike. There were no other racks on that side and I was on the end of the row. I don't really care because I know what my time was and I know my equipment was not inhibiting anyone else from doing anything they needed to do. As a matter of fact it probably helped. But what are you gonna do?

Last updated: 2005-07-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:00 | 300 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/39
Overall: 55/349
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: This was a pool swim and I have to say I am not a fan. The pool had 6 25 yard lanes. You had to give them a estimated swim time and that determined the order in which you would start. Then they start swimmers every 10 seconds. You did up and back, switched lanes and repeat 5 times.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:30
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:13 | 14 miles | 19.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/39
Overall: 72/349
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: This was a short course with rolling hills. A couple of them were fairly long but none that were very steep.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:21:38 | 02.9 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/39
Overall: 73/349
Course: The run course was a sprained ankle waiting to happen. It took you off through this field. We are not talking about finely manicured turf here. Just an old field. That was probably about half a mile going out and then back in the same way. The rest was along a running trail next to a little lake. But the bike course came through the same area so during the run, we were instructed we had to stay on the sidewalk/run trail. This made it a little crowded.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-08-28 2:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
Subject: Tri The Rock

2005-08-28 3:00 PM
in reply to: #235777

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Subject: RE: Tri The Rock
Nice race, and glad they helped save that rack for you!  Good luck in two weeks!
2005-08-28 3:01 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-08-28 3:59 PM
in reply to: #235780

Veteran
Dallas, TX
Maybe they were giving me a penalty for destroying the transition area by knocking down bike racks????
2005-08-28 4:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
Texas
I find the pool swim is a lot more comfy if you are in the top 50 going in. I had the same problem at my first pool swim and I learned my lesson. The only thing is you have less people to work off of passing in the bike and the run. Great job today!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri The Rock Rss Feed