General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Maui open water swim training groups? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-04 5:30 PM

User image

Regular
Collegeville, PA
Subject: Maui open water swim training groups?

I'm vacationing in Maui next week, staying at the Ritz Carlton, and was hoping to get in some ocean swimming.  Any training groups/clubs have anything planned for next week who wouldn't mind an out-of-towner tagging along?  You can PM me or use my e-mail.

Thanks!

Tim

2011-06-05 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3532609

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Maui open water swim training groups?

Why not bring (or rent) a bike and race in the South Maui Triathlon next Sunday?  

Outside of that, there aren't any formal tri clubs here.  Still can't figure that out myself.  Outside of the race, there is an open water swim group that meets Sunday mornings at Polo Beach in Wailea.  Email Janet Renner at [email protected] or Malcom Cooper at [email protected].  Haven't been to one yet, but I hear its a great swim.  Malcolm is my masters swim coach.

2011-06-05 7:48 PM

User image

Regular
Collegeville, PA
Hmmm, know of a good place to rent a bike?  I'm currently on Kaui on my honeymoon - heading to Maui tomorrow for part 2.  The only good reason I can think not to do the tri is that it may lead to an early divorce :-)
2011-06-06 12:17 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii

Congrats on your marriage and honeymoon!

If you can get clearance Laughing, you can rent bikes at a couple of places.  South Maui Bicycles is the sponsoring shop - they rent very nice Treks - they are my LBS.  Island Biker in Kahului rents Specialized.  There is also Maui Cyclery in Paia - they rent Scott.

The South Maui Tri is a fun race, early start (6:00 a.m.) so you can be done before lunch.  It's a beautiful course and your wife (if she's not racing) could go to the spa at the host hotel (Wailea Marriott) or hang out at the beach, which is gorgeous.  Something for everyone.

FYI - as awesome as the race is, it's a pretty tough course, especially for the run - very hilly.  Temps can be hot and humid, so hydrate well.  Lots of aid stations, great volunteers.

If you don't end up racing, hope you have a great trip and get in some of the best OWS in the world!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Maui open water swim training groups? Rss Feed