General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Introduction - 13 weeks until my first tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-11 6:26 AM

New user

Subject: Introduction - 13 weeks until my first tri

Hey y'all!

Wanted to introduce myself quickly and intend to use this thread as a way of blogging on my progress toward my first sprint tri in about 13 weeks.  I'm just getting getting into tris and have an ultimate goal of competing (and I use that term loosely) in a 70.3 in late 2013.  I am scheduled for 2 sprints in the fall about 1 month apart and am hoping to make the jump to olys after 2 more sprints in the spring.  It may be a bit audacious but I tend to be an "all in" kind of guy.

I'll be updating on my training and progress here daily and welcome any advice/guidance those more experienced.  Blogging here is a way to help keep me on track and accountable.

Current Stats:

Height - 6'1"

Weight - 245.5lbs

My "fighting weight" is somewhere in the 200-210 range.  I expect that it'll take me longer than 13 weeks to get there though.  My goal by 9/11 - date of first event - is 221 (the number has significance for me).  

Tomorrow is my first "official" training day.  Wish me luck!

Cheers!

2011-06-11 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3543589

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Introduction - 13 weeks until my first tri

Welcome to BT and triathlon, and happy journeys

Are you using one of the training programs on this site?

Also, you might want to use the training log function on this site to log your workouts and progress--it's got super functionality for that and the info is all much more organized there.

2011-06-12 3:09 PM

User image

corpus christi area
GOOD LUCK, BROTHER.    stay strong, 10 weeks till my first so i feel your pain. 
2011-06-13 7:35 PM

New user

Thanks for the support and encouragement!

Okay...so day 2 and it already harder than it needs to be.  Not so much the workouts but I caught a bad cold that really took a toll on me today.  

Yesterday I hit the pool and the road.  Swam 400 meters (much harder than I thought) and did a 1.1 mile run.  The plan call for 10 minutes but I have an awesome 1.1 mile loop that I covered in 11:27.  The swim was really tough.  I was hoping to make it straight through but found I needed to stop every 50 meters or so.  I used to be a swimmer too.  Was trying to breath to both sides and found it was tough to establish a good cadence.  I wasn't swimming for time but wish I had timed myself anyway.  I suspect I was about a 30 sec length.  I was pretty much all arms too which didn't help.  My legs were jelly.  It was a humbling first day.  

I was on the bike today (road, not tri).  20 minutes flat to gently rolling.  Felt good to be on the bike despite feeling as lousy as I did.  I removed a couple of spacers and dropped the stem a bit since the fitting and the more agressive riding position felt better.  I did need to change my hand position more frequently and could feel a bit more weight in my wrists (really need to strengthen my core).

I've got a Bikram class in the morning to get loosened up and work on core and flexibility then back to the road tomorrow evening.

Edited by adadagain 2011-06-13 7:35 PM
2011-06-13 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3547312

User image

Regular
, New York

Just happened across your post.  Best of luck!!!  Your among a great mix of experienced athletes and newbies alike!!!  Believe me when I tell you I know where you're at.  I decided to throw my hat into the lottery for this year's NYC Nautica Olympic distance triathlon.  I got picked and I'm not sure yet if that was a blessing or a curse.  Wink

I've basically gone from the "couch" to train for this event.  It's been tough, as I also struggle with depression, but overall it's been pretty good so far.  8 weeks to go!!!  Hang in there, just take things one day/one workout at a time.  Things happen, and every day is a new day to pickup wherever you left off.  Good luck!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Introduction - 13 weeks until my first tri Rss Feed