Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Try-a-Tri Timing Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-13 11:13 AM

User image

Subject: Try-a-Tri Timing

A co-worker and I are going to be doing our first event this weekend in the Guelph Lake try-a-tri and we are trying to figure out something about the timing.

It doesn't look like the transition is timed, based upon what we see from the timing on the past events.  We've tried checking to see on the World Endurance Canada website, but we can't find anything either.

Anybody know for certain about this?

As this is my first race, I don't want to totally ruin my time by taking the transition too easy.  I'll be slow enough as it is.

2011-06-13 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3546210

Veteran
Waterloo, Ontario
Subject: RE: Try-a-Tri Timing

I assume that although they don't break out T1 and T2 times, they are included in your total time.  Otherwise, you'd have people taking 5-10 minute breaks in transition to rest up for the next leg.

Actually, that'd be a pretty cool format: say you have to finish the race (let's say a sprint) in 3 hours, but you can take all the time you want in transition.  You could take as much rest as you wanted, but you'd be taking the risk of not actually finishing before the cutoff.

2011-06-13 12:10 PM

User image

Veteran

I did the TaT in Milton this yr....If Guelph is any thing like Milton, there is only one timing mat at the inbound of the transition area. Looking at last years results from the Guelph Lake TaT it would appear that wat since there are no T times posted

So your swim time is when you cross the timing mat into the transition and your bike time is when you exit for the run and run time is from when you cross the finish line.

Since there is only one timing mat in the TaT transition, traditionally there are two..one inbound in and one outbound, you will have to rely on a watch that has lap capability to get your T1/2 times. I use a Garmin 310xt and that provided me my T1/2 times for Milton. When I came into the transition,I hit the lap button and again when left the transition.

2011-06-13 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3546384

User image

jsmoon - 2011-06-13 1:10 PM

I did the TaT in Milton this yr....If Guelph is any thing like Milton, there is only one timing mat at the inbound of the transition area. Looking at last years results from the Guelph Lake TaT it would appear that wat since there are no T times posted

So your swim time is when you cross the timing mat into the transition and your bike time is when you exit for the run and run time is from when you cross the finish line.

Since there is only one timing mat in the TaT transition, traditionally there are two..one inbound in and one outbound, you will have to rely on a watch that has lap capability to get your T1/2 times. I use a Garmin 310xt and that provided me my T1/2 times for Milton. When I came into the transition,I hit the lap button and again when left the transition.

I'd expect Guelph to be like Milton as it is run by the same people.

So if I'm reading your comment right, your bike time included both T1 and T2?

I was planning on tracking my run and bike times, but I've got the Garmin 405CX so I'm not sure what it would do with multisport.

2011-06-13 12:38 PM
in reply to: #3546437

User image

Veteran

Yes, Bike time contains both T1/2.

Not sure what your transition plan is for your watch...have it mounted on your bike and move to wrist for run or just put it on your wrist for both bike and run post swim? Either way you could start the watch when you get into the transition zone,...you will loose a few secinds between the entrance and your bike, but shouldnt be a biggy...and when you exit for the bike. hit the lap button...when you get off your bike to enter transition, hit the lap button again, and then again when you exit for the run...this should give you reasonably accurate T1/2 times.

2011-06-13 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3546464

User image

Plan was to have the Garmin on the bike waiting for me in the transition.

Would be easy enough to have it ready to start a workout so all I have to do i hit the start button on it when I get to my bike from the swim.

Being a beginner, I'm more worried about my swim/bike/run performance than the actual transition time performance.

2011-06-18 2:13 PM

User image

Turned out to be a moot question - transition times were recorded separately.
2011-06-18 3:25 PM
in reply to: #3555651

User image

Veteran

winter_mute - 2011-06-18 3:13 PM Turned out to be a moot question - transition times were recorded separately.

Excellent...dont forget the race report...hope you had a good one.

2011-06-19 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3555706

User image

jsmoon - 2011-06-18 4:25 PM

Excellent...dont forget the race report...hope you had a good one.

Have filed my report now.  Was a great day.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Try-a-Tri Timing Rss Feed