General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2011-07-20 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3604829

User image

carlsbad
Subject: RE: Ironman St. George : Official Thread
hey pbman, you live in the area.  Even when they change the run its still has to be pretty challenging right? I didn't notice a whole lot of flat land in the area. Can you keep us up to date with any info you hear?

2011-07-22 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3556416

User image

carlsbad
Looks like the website has the new run course posted.  3 loops.  Guess i'm talking to myself here.  Its ok, im used to it
2011-07-22 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3610085

Veteran

Hmm, looks like a bent pitchfork! 

And you're not alone here, I've been lurking

2011-07-22 12:00 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco

ridingsdc - 2011-07-22 9:43 AM Looks like the website has the new run course posted.  3 loops.  Guess i'm talking to myself here.  Its ok, im used to it

Ugh.  That looks awful.  Trading off red rocks and a view for suburban streets.  3 loops instead of 2 to add to the monotony.  But will be more spectator friendly and a far easier run course.  Glad I did it before they neutered the run course.

2011-07-22 2:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

3 loops sucks.  Even worse when you consider half of each loop is an up and down 3 streets right next to each other.  

I'm curious what the elevation gain is on the new run course.  I like the downhill start for a mile or so.  Miles 4.5-7.5 still look nasty.  I don't know if I have ever run uphill for 3 miles.  Even the Newton hills have some flat spots. 

2011-07-22 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3605189

User image

Veteran
Dallas

ridingsdc - 2011-07-19 10:05 PM yeah, my buddy said it was straight carnage out there.  Plus it was crazy hot. Deadly combo. Heat and hills. Good times

I don't mind the hills, but if it's a hot day I'm in trouble.  My break point is about 85 degrees.

2011-07-22 3:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member

ridingsdc - 2011-07-22 11:43 AM Looks like the website has the new run course posted.  3 loops.  Guess i'm talking to myself here.  Its ok, im used to it

Dang -it, I was dreading the run after reading a few race reports but still wanted to do the original - mostly it was everyone talks about the tough bike course before the race and then everyone talks about the run course was the monster after the race. 

Still this will be the toughest IM course I have ever attempted so there is still some butterflies going in the pit of my stomach.  

2011-07-22 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3610626

User image

Master
San Francisco
aintaround - 2011-07-22 1:52 PM

Still this will be the toughest IM course I have ever attempted so there is still some butterflies going in the pit of my stomach. 

As much as I'm bummed to see the course change, it's still a great race with a great venue.  I'm sure it'll be plenty challenging.  If not, there's always Silverman or Lanzarote or Nice or Norseman if you want something even more butterfly inducing

2011-07-22 5:40 PM

User image

carlsbad

unless something major happens Silverman is over.  This course will still be hard though.  The weather is totally unpredictable, the million down and backs on the new run will be a blast(not really), should be tons of crowd support though, and the bike looked scenic in person.  I guess the first year was freezing.  Last year was 90 and there is always wind whipping around.  The next day it rained and was VERY WINDY.   

2011-07-22 5:53 PM

User image

carlsbad

I had a group of about 6 people cheering on a friend and we were baffled how early everything closed up that day. Its like they had no idea an ironman was in town. This sandwich shop right on the strip closed at 4. WHAT? Dude, you could've made tons of money in 1 DAY.  HA! we were laughing.  I've heard about how great the town was, and it was very friendly, but I think they have some major catching up to do.  The people/ residents were very very nice.  CDA was like a circus- " get your ironman tatoo here" ironman drink specials, shops had ironman jewelry, every menu i opened had some ironman weekend advertisement or special, billboards had ironman stuff all over, now that was a town that new what was going on!  It was great.

2011-07-22 6:47 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
I'm curious how someone(me) who does run training solely on heavy hills, how much faster this will go down. I'm shooting for a KQ(assuming I dont end up with a wrenched back in the swim again!) so this change could be beneficial. Run train on heavy hills, race on a much flatter course, thoughts?

IMHO of someone who has raced IMSG x2, I think alot of people are going to breath easy seeing the new run course, but the bike course is a big climb-athon and no matter how flat the mary is, this will still take a heavy toll. Last year I was lapping a glut of folks struggling up the Veyo climb who were about 15 minutes(and 15+ miles) away from the 2nd cutoff.

2011-07-22 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3610766

User image

Veteran
Dallas

LittleCat - 2011-07-22 6:47 PM I'm curious how someone(me) who does run training solely on heavy hills, how much faster this will go down. I'm shooting for a KQ(assuming I dont end up with a wrenched back in the swim again!) so this change could be beneficial. Run train on heavy hills, race on a much flatter course, thoughts? IMHO of someone who has raced IMSG x2, I think alot of people are going to breath easy seeing the new run course, but the bike course is a big climb-athon and no matter how flat the mary is, this will still take a heavy toll. Last year I was lapping a glut of folks struggling up the Veyo climb who were about 15 minutes(and 15+ miles) away from the 2nd cutoff.

I don't know the right answer.  The run course is still freaking hilly relative to 90% of the Ironman races.  My guess is the bike course will still attract the same female type.  What was the KQ time for your age group last year?  

Edit:  Training for strength and speed are two different animals.   If you go straight hills you will have tons of endurance, but not the same level of speed.  I think the new course will require both.  First half of each loop is a normal run and the second half is a hill run.    

Edited by 3Aims 2011-07-22 8:01 PM
2011-07-22 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3610730

User image

Veteran
Dallas
ridingsdc - 2011-07-22 5:53 PM

I had a group of about 6 people cheering on a friend and we were baffled how early everything closed up that day. Its like they had no idea an ironman was in town. This sandwich shop right on the strip closed at 4. WHAT? Dude, you could've made tons of money in 1 DAY.  HA! we were laughing.  I've heard about how great the town was, and it was very friendly, but I think they have some major catching up to do.  The people/ residents were very very nice.  CDA was like a circus- " get your ironman tatoo here" ironman drink specials, shops had ironman jewelry, every menu i opened had some ironman weekend advertisement or special, billboards had ironman stuff all over, now that was a town that new what was going on!  It was great.

I agree with CdA.  I loved the race this year and HIGHLY recommend it.  I really enjoyed the experience and have a hard time thinking SG will be even close. 

2011-07-22 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3610823

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
3Aims - 2011-07-22 7:58 PM

LittleCat - 2011-07-22 6:47 PM I'm curious how someone(me) who does run training solely on heavy hills, how much faster this will go down. I'm shooting for a KQ(assuming I dont end up with a wrenched back in the swim again!) so this change could be beneficial. Run train on heavy hills, race on a much flatter course, thoughts? IMHO of someone who has raced IMSG x2, I think alot of people are going to breath easy seeing the new run course, but the bike course is a big climb-athon and no matter how flat the mary is, this will still take a heavy toll. Last year I was lapping a glut of folks struggling up the Veyo climb who were about 15 minutes(and 15+ miles) away from the 2nd cutoff.

I don't know the right answer.  The run course is still freaking hilly relative to 90% of the Ironman races.  My guess is the bike course will still attract the same female type.  What was the KQ time for your age group last year?  

Edit:  Training for strength and speed are two different animals.   If you go straight hills you will have tons of endurance, but not the same level of speed.  I think the new course will require both.  First half of each loop is a normal run and the second half is a hill run.    

KQ last year was around 11:45. I didn't have the best race, I got smashed in the face 10 minutes into the swim, which not only cracked a lens but I ended up twisting my back in some wierd way that caused me to feel like I had an ice pick jabbing in to a muscle above my pelvis for the rest of the race. I had pretty fresh legs up till the end since every time I pushed speed the ice pick went crazy-it was a fragile, frustrating balancing act. My swim coach and I were able to reproduce what happened and it was just one of those 'perfect storm' things. I was shooting for, and my training paces and long(100 bike/16 run on heavy hills) brick sessions all were in line with around 12-12:30 finish. I finished 13:24, 15/58.
2011-07-22 9:34 PM
in reply to: #3610861

User image

Veteran
Dallas
LittleCat - 2011-07-22 8:42 PM
3Aims - 2011-07-22 7:58 PM

KQ last year was around 11:45. I didn't have the best race, I got smashed in the face 10 minutes into the swim, which not only cracked a lens but I ended up twisting my back in some wierd way that caused me to feel like I had an ice pick jabbing in to a muscle above my pelvis for the rest of the race. I had pretty fresh legs up till the end since every time I pushed speed the ice pick went crazy-it was a fragile, frustrating balancing act. My swim coach and I were able to reproduce what happened and it was just one of those 'perfect storm' things. I was shooting for, and my training paces and long(100 bike/16 run on heavy hills) brick sessions all were in line with around 12-12:30 finish. I finished 13:24, 15/58.

Wow. Crazy race it sounds like.  A cracked lens that early would suck.  I ran to the end with the final KQer for the 30-34 female group at CdA and she barely held on for it with a 10:4X.  I know IMSG is a different animal, but I'd rethink how you train given the new run course.  Speed will win.  I'd also rethink those long bricks.  I'm no coach, but a 100/16 with heavy hills seems like too much.  Lots of endurance, but no speed.  My coach swears anything longer than 60 minutes after a long ride has a huge diminishing return and advocates longer pace driven runs over super long bricks.   To each their own.  Looking forward to fun in May.  Hoping you bump this quote after you KQ.            

2011-07-23 3:59 PM

New user
St. George

I like the looks of this new run course. The previous run had us going uphill for 3-4 miles immediately out of T2 and some of it very steep. This new course isn't flat but I would call it false flats. If you were to drive it it would seem flat as a pancake. Most of it is probably 1-2% grade with Diagonal (which was part of the old course) 2-3%. Wind won't be an issue and these streets are lined with lots of big shade trees. The great part of 3 loops is that we will see lots of the other racers and it will be much, much better for spectators and family. The old run course had large sections that spectators couldn't even get to. It was terrible for spectators.

Does anybody know of any other courses with that many turnarounds?

I also agree with LittleCat. It is all about the bike on this course. There is no easy marathon after pedalling 112 on this thing. T2 this year was packed full of DNF's that could no further. This bike course can chew you up. 

Look forward to seeing all of you in May. 

Dan.

2011-07-23 4:05 PM
in reply to: #3610730

New user
St. George

ridingsdc said "I had a group of about 6 people cheering on a friend and we were baffled how early everything closed up that day. Its like they had no idea an ironman was in town. This sandwich shop right on the strip closed at 4. WHAT? Dude, you could've made tons of money in 1 DAY.  HA! we were laughing.  I've heard about how great the town was, and it was very friendly, but I think they have some major catching up to do.  The people/ residents were very very nice.  CDA was like a circus- " get your ironman tatoo here" ironman drink specials, shops had ironman jewelry, every menu i opened had some ironman weekend advertisement or special, billboards had ironman stuff all over, now that was a town that new what was going on!  It was great."

Hello.....this is Utah!  We are trying so hard too catch up in so many ways.

CDA also has 1000 racers more and is a much smaller town. 

Edited by PbMan 2011-07-23 4:09 PM
2011-07-24 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3611561

User image

Veteran
I asked about the run change and I was told it was because of road construction on the normal run course. I don't know if it will be changed back but that is the main reason for the change.
2011-07-24 4:50 PM

User image

Veteran
WA
I hope they don't change the St. George bike course. My plan as of right now is to start training for St. George and if we wind up with a mild winter here in the Northwest going ahead and sign up for it next spring and then do CDA (already in) 7/8 weeks later. If we have a good snow winter though, no St. George for me because of skiing. I just want to try that bike course since CDA's new one isn't going to be nearly as hard as the old one.
2011-07-25 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia

Just saw the run change.

I honestly don't know what to think about... Foot in mouth

2011-07-25 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3606179

User image

Champion
Northridge, California

ridingsdc - 2011-07-20 9:43 AM hey pbman, you live in the area.  Even when they change the run its still has to be pretty challenging right? I didn't notice a whole lot of flat land in the area. Can you keep us up to date with any info you hear?

Actually, no.  I've met a few runners who've done the SG Marathon and they are floored when I tell them how hard the IMSG marathon course is (or was, it appears).  SG Marathon has a lot of flat stretches and is net downhill (starts at the north end of Diagonal and ends on the south end of town) and has a reputation of being very fast...if you look at the way the city proper is laid out, it mostly is in a valley with quite a few flat areas.

Looking at both maps, there is a fair bit of overlap between the new IMSG run course and the SG Marathon course.

2011-07-25 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3613661

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
I said I was skipping an IM in 12 but really thinking about St George. When did it sell out last year? Hello 3aims.
2011-07-25 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3613661

New user
St. George
tcovert - 2011-07-25 11:47 AM

ridingsdc - 2011-07-20 9:43 AM hey pbman, you live in the area.  Even when they change the run its still has to be pretty challenging right? I didn't notice a whole lot of flat land in the area. Can you keep us up to date with any info you hear?

Actually, no.  I've met a few runners who've done the SG Marathon and they are floored when I tell them how hard the IMSG marathon course is (or was, it appears).  SG Marathon has a lot of flat stretches and is net downhill (starts at the north end of Diagonal and ends on the south end of town) and has a reputation of being very fast...if you look at the way the city proper is laid out, it mostly is in a valley with quite a few flat areas.

Looking at both maps, there is a fair bit of overlap between the new IMSG run course and the SG Marathon course.

The SG Marathon actually starts 23 miles north of the city, has very little to maybe no flat stretches, and only shares Diagonal(1 mile) with the IMSG marathon course. The IMSG bike course and the SG Marathon course share about 18 miles. The high speed downhill section of the bike course is the meat of the SG Marathon course. 

Edited by PbMan 2011-07-25 7:54 PM
2011-07-25 7:57 PM
in reply to: #3614367

New user
St. George

kstater39 - 2011-07-25 5:49 PM I said I was skipping an IM in 12 but really thinking about St George. When did it sell out last year? Hello 3aims.

Never did sell out. Had 600 fewer entrants than first year which is the reason for the new and improved(easier) run course.

2011-07-25 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3614367

User image

Veteran
Dallas

kstater39 - 2011-07-25 6:49 PM I said I was skipping an IM in 12 but really thinking about St George. When did it sell out last year? Hello 3aims.

Dude, gotta do this one!!!  It won't sell out so you have plenty of time to waffle, ha!.  I'm in!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 32