Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Welland Half Iron 2011 Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-19 6:56 PM

Subject: Welland Half Iron 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie here and am thinking of doing the Half Iron Duathlon in Welland next week. Just wondering if someone is doing the race/has done it before for any things to look out for...

also, I'm from Toronto, and dont have a car or any finalized plan on HOW I'll actually get to Welland, so if anyone is planning on doing this race and doesnt mind giving me a ride next Saturday, (at least from Niagara to Welland...) that'll be awesome! :D

I know this is a tri forum, but I'm still learning to swim and have a fair bit of background in running and cycling, so I'm giving this a try...

Thanks!

-Sunny

2011-06-20 6:02 AM
in reply to: #3556852

Veteran
London, Ontario
Subject: RE: Welland Half Iron 2011

Good morning, 

Welland is a flat and fast course. 2010 post-race feedback from our customers was excellent and everyone seemed to really love it. The run is entirely on a paved fitness trail and the bike course is very flat and fast. Between 55 and 65k you are travelling along the north edge of Lake Erie which means most days you will have a side or headwind. Specific details on the Half Iron Du are at - http://www.msctriathlon.com/ms/events/showracedetail.cfm?raceID=413

I hope we see you in Welland and please say hello on race day if you do join us.

Edited by John Salt 2011-06-20 6:03 AM
2011-06-21 7:25 AM
in reply to: #3557249

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not much familiar with how events are organized so I had a reaaaally basic question:

I'm bringing a spare set of training clincher wheels along with my racing wheels as backup. However, if I have a flat out on the course with my race tubulars, what kind of assistance is there?

Is there any point in actually bringing a training wheelset at all since I wont be able to actually swap it out if I need to during the race?

Thanks in advance!

2011-06-21 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3559392

Veteran
London, Ontario

Good questions although I think you have already answered one of them. If you are racing on tubulars there really is no point in bringing your training clinchers, unless you plan on carrying them on your back :-).

As to on course assistance. Yes, Gears Bike Shop will be on course for mechanical assistance. The issue with this is there is no guarantee they will be anywhere near you if you were to flat. They also might not get to your location for some time as they will be traveling back and forth on the course. They might be assisting someone else who has a mechanical problem that will take a lot of time. This will cause you unnecessary stress and anxiety. Of course, if you have a major mechanical then you probably won't mind waiting for assistance if it means the difference between finishing or not finishing the race. However, hoping that you will receive quick assistance to change a flat tire is never a good race plan. I would NEVER rely on bike course assistance for a flat.

In all seriousness, my suggestion and the solution I always have when I race => Learn to change a tire and carry a spare when you race.

This is especially easy with todays flexible tires and even easier with tubulars. If you are on clinchers get a high quality tire that is easy to remove and get back on. (Most can be put back on without tire levers.) This way you just need to carry a spare tube and tire levers. A spare tubular can be mounted on your rear bottle cage or even carried in the back of your race jersey. Buy a CO2 cartridge and gun and practice. If you get good at it you should be able to change a flat in under 5 minutes. You are now in control of your own fate and have removed stress from your race day.

Just my two cents.

Edited by John Salt 2011-06-21 10:12 AM
2011-06-21 8:04 PM

Hi john, thanks for the patient reply!

I know how to change clinchers easily but have never changed tubulars before...so I dont know if I'll take the risk.

I'll youtube changing tubulars and see if thats something I could pull off in the middle of the race.

BTW...I'm registered for the Half Duathlon! :D Excited.

2011-06-22 7:09 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Hi John,
Great to see you posting here.  Welland will be my first half iron tri.  A few questions - 
1. swim - what is water temp?  I'm trying to decide between the long sleeve vs short sleeve wetsuit.
2. bike - the computrainer course I downloaded is 93.11km.  I hope that's incorrect, please confirm that the course is not longer than 90km. 
3. portalets - are there any on bike or run course, besides at the transition.  If so, where are they?  I know many just go on the bike, I don't think I'm ready for that.Wink
4. timing - will there be a timing mat at the middle of the Niece and Downey loop to make sure racers don't cut the course.  It would be a nice place for a timing mat, since it's ~55km. 
5. timing - is live timing available on the android / iphone app for this race?  Would be cool for friends, esp if there's timing mat half way on the bike course.
6. swim to bike transition - I remember there's a fairly long run for the TT in the past from the swim to T1, is that the same for the half iron so it's good to bring shoes to the swim finish area?

John, I'm a BIG FAN of your series, thanks for starting it 10yrs ago and congrats on Multisport Series' 10yr anniversary.  With new sponsors and Sportstats, this is the best season yet.  (But just to clarify, when you told everyone at Woodstock that you remember me putting on the wetsuit backwards when I first started racing, you must have me confused with somebody else.  I had many issues on the swim, but I don't remember ever putting the wetsuit on backwards. Embarassed

Patricia Man

Edited by patricia7 2011-06-22 7:12 AM

2011-06-22 8:45 AM
in reply to: #3561118

Veteran
London, Ontario
If you would like some expert advice on changing a tubular I suggest that you visit the Gears Bike Shop tent and talk with Derek Macneil. Great guy with tons of knowledge.
2011-06-22 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3561471

Veteran
London, Ontario

Patricia,

Here are the answers:

1. Probably 22C but we will be checking again in the next few days and posting it. Bring both wetsuits.

2. It will be 90k exactly. The CT course was a guess on the out and back so it was somewhat inaccurate. But, look at it this way. YOu rode longer than needed while training....always a good thingSmile

3. Yes, there will be one on the run course at approximately 6k but you will pass it four times. Unfortunately, we will not be able to get one out on the bike course.

4. No, because we will have a volunteer and police officer there to make sure they are directed to the out and back.

5. I believe so. I have asked Sportstats.

6. I will be bringing shoes and would suggest you do the same.

My apologies if I embarrassed you. I know how much support you give us and I think you know how much I appreciate your personal improvement over the years. 

2011-06-22 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3561471

Veteran
London, Ontario

Patricia,

Here are the answers:

1. Probably 22C but we will be checking again in the next few days and posting it. Bring both wetsuits.

2. It will be 90k exactly. The CT course was a guess on the out and back so it was somewhat inaccurate. But, look at it this way. YOu rode longer than needed while training....always a good thingSmile

3. Yes, there will be one on the run course at approximately 6k but you will pass it four times. Unfortunately, we will not be able to get one out on the bike course.

4. No, because we will have a volunteer and police officer there to make sure they are directed to the out and back.

5. I believe so. I have asked Sportstats.

6. I will be bringing shoes and would suggest you do the same.

My apologies if I embarrassed you. I know how much support you give us and I think you know how much I appreciate your personal improvement over the years. 

2011-06-22 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3562001

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
John Salt - 2011-06-22 12:15 PM

No need to apoloize, it's all in good fun, but THANK YOU for putting together great races year after year.  No doubt your races help me improve and "graduate" from the 2003 Give it a Try series champ (1st year of the Give it a Try series, I believe) to the 2010 Tri Series champ.

Edited by patricia7 2011-06-22 12:35 PM
2011-06-28 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3562188

User image

Master
Rural Ontario

How did everyone do at Welland?

I had a very enjoyable day on Sunday at the 1/2Iron.  The course was blazing fast and I strongly suggest it as a great way to try long distance triathlon. I finshed 1hr and 18min faster than I did my previous half-iron (Muskoka 70.3) - something I'm pleased with.

I posted my race report here:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=258484 

2011-06-28 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3571059

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Congrats Mark, great race, too bad we didn't get to meet up.  It sure is a very fast course, and pretty too.  My very first half iron, 6hr, despite a terrible run,  hmmm... actually, mostly walk.  Anybody who wants to set a PB for this distance should do Welland.

My RR here - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=258471

Edited by patricia7 2011-06-28 1:19 PM
2011-06-30 9:31 PM

Congrats Mark and Patricia!

You guys are both a great inspiration and re-affirm my commitment to stick with this sport as I age to have fun, stay motivated and continue being challenged!

I had an OK race. Just uploaded my race report as well.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=258913

btw...Mark: I love your wheel cover!! Where did you get the custom stickers for it? Its funny because I only bought my P2C a month ago and as I was contemplating buying it, I searched for pics of how it would look with race wheels and found your pic on BT and thought...wow, that looks cool! Imagine my amusement when you passed me on the bike! It was like deja-vu! :D

Edited by parichitb 2011-06-30 9:34 PM
2011-07-01 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3576077

User image

Master
Rural Ontario

Thanks Parichitb! Great race report and congrats on a blazing fast time and podium finish!

My bike computer said the course was 89.5km, but I think these 1% errors are to be expected - as we change tire circumfrance by wearing down the tire or over/under inflate them slightly we get little errors.

I bought the wheelcover stickers off ebay from a business in niagara falls - but that was almost 2 years ago.  

Cheers,

Mark

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Welland Half Iron 2011 Rss Feed