General Discussion Triathlon Talk » roof vs trunk bike rack Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-24 10:05 AM

Subject: roof vs trunk bike rack
big difference in price- roof- can't swing now.  Trunk- can swing now- will need to go 300 miles (Denver, Omaha, Topeka, Kansas City).  What are the plusses and minuses?  I trust you brilliant and dedicated people!

2011-06-24 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3565539

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: roof vs trunk bike rack
Trunk mounts can cause rubbing damage to your car's finish, bikes are more likely to sway and thus cause some potential damage to bike and car, a rear end collision (even a "fender bender") could cause significant damage to your bike, straps used to clamp your bike could cause some rubbing damage to the bike.
2011-06-24 10:19 AM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member

Roof, you will likely run into something with your bike on the roof, be it a drive through sign or your garage door.

I got a hitch rack - best option but not the cheapest unless you already have a hitch.

2011-06-24 10:27 AM

User image

Denver
I like being able to see that by bike is still there on the trunk rack personally. Getting rear ended worries me, but insurance would cover the bike too.  I figure a high probability of me going through a drive through, low hanging trees on our side streets, and generally forgetting about the bike on the roof. None of which, I believe, auto insurance would cover. 
2011-06-24 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3565603

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

vagus - 2011-06-24 11:27 AM I like being able to see that by bike is still there on the trunk rack personally. Getting rear ended worries me, but insurance would cover the bike too.  I figure a high probability of me going through a drive through, low hanging trees on our side streets, and generally forgetting about the bike on the roof. None of which, I believe, auto insurance would cover. 

As if looking back and seeing it bouncing down the highway makes you feel better somehow?

True funny, but not so funny, story.  My buddy and I ware headed to a trail ride many many moons ago and after getting all geared up and under way one of the straps on his trunk mount broke and the front of the bike fell off.  Luckily the other strap held strong and we didn't lose the bike, but his front wheel was destroyed and his fork got a nasty crack in it.

2011-06-24 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
I've got a Road Gear trunk rack which is proly 15yrs old, it has big pads where it rests on the car, I haven't had a problem with rubbing or damaging the car paint but be advised, its really important to secure your bikes on certain model racks or they can catch wind and fly up to the end of the bars... I learned this the hard way with a new cervello, it worked its way up to the end of the bars on the rack, when I braked it slammed down damaging the paint and gave it a very small ding the first week I had it

2011-06-24 10:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
... then i switched to a roof rack. Last summer I lent my car to my Mother (with the bike on top) to run an errand. She proceeded to drive it into a garage, smashed my bike. Just say'n.
2011-06-24 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I personally would never use a trunk mount. A buddy of mine used one once and now his rear bumper sags like crazy. If your bumper doesn't start to sag chances are you will have places where the rack rubs the paint. Also I don't like the idea of hanging the bike from the frame as much as I like the idea of clamping the fork. Hanging it by the frame invites paint damage on the bike as well. And when my Cervelo cries, I cry.

Get on craigslist and see if you can find a used roof rack. I got mine for $100, got four bike attachments for $75.

Another possible option is to take the front wheel off and put the bike in the back seat, provided your seat isn't already occupied.

2011-06-24 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami

For a drive that long i would go with a roof rack.  Your bike will be a lot more secure than a trunk mount which i have never personally liked.  If hitch mount would be an option then i would go with that one.  I have both hitch and roof mount and i like both equally.

If you are not used to driving around with your bike in the roof and you think you might forget that is there just come up with some type of system to remind you the bike is there (sticky not on windshiled, something hanged from rearview mirror, etc)

2011-06-24 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

I have a Thule trunk rack (Christmas gift from boyfriend) and I love it.  Roof racks aren't an option for me unless I want to carry around a stepstool, being 4'10".

Only downside I've seen so far is that it adds so much weight (even without a bike on it) that the trunk can slam itself shut instead of staying open.  Almost got a concussion that way removing groceries shortly after I got it.

2011-06-24 10:58 AM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
If you decide to go with the roof rack...Remember to remove your bike before get inside your garage...I have 2 good friends that have smaked their bikes...damaging them very bad...one was total loss......Yikes...!!!!

2011-06-24 11:13 AM

User image

Ann Arbor

I guess to some extent it depends on the vehicle it will go on. I see some trunk racks on sedans that look like accidents waiting to happen. I think there needs to be a spot to support the rack from the bottom. 

I have a Saturn Vue with a flat bumper. The feet of my Saris rack sit squarely on this bumper and I feel like the bikes are safe and secure on it.

I'd have to imagine that there's quite a bit of increased drag with bikes on top, but I wouldn't decide solely based on that.

If you go with a trunk rack remember to re-check all the straps after the bikes are on the rack.

2011-06-24 11:13 AM

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
I have a trunk rack and have driven from Salina to Denver (450 miles each way) several times with it and haven't had any problems.  Just make sure you check that everything is tightened down when you make pit stops.  Also, pick up a few bungee cords so you can secure the front of your bike and keep it from blowing around.
2011-06-24 11:23 AM

User image

Regular
The Ottawa Valley, ON
I have both but I love my Thule Roof rack on my SUV best.  I bought a nice trunk mount a few years ago for my Honda civic but it's not condusive for my tri bike and it's a pain in the to get into my trunk if the bikes are on there.  Roof rack is the best option, Thule has some great options that aren't too pricey.  Good luck and Happy Training!
2011-06-24 11:58 AM

Veteran
Eugene

I have a 96 crap box honda civic, and I drove 22 hours last year on a road trip to cali with the wife and I's felt bikes on the rather expensive ($250 new I believe) Yakima trunk mounted rack. The bikes bounced a lot.  Careless mounting caused my handlebar to wear a hole in her handlebar grip, I have a couple marks on my frame from where the bikes were hitting and I just didnt notice. It left marks on my trunk, and left some yellowish marks on her frame where the rubber straps secured her bike (bike is white). 

Admittedly a lot of these things can be avoided by knowing exactly what to look for when mounting. However, this makes the roof mounted ones simpler to operate without damaging, quicker to load, bikes do not move at all, does not damage your car, and lockable.

Needless to say, I now have a yakima Q tower roof rack with steelhead bike trays (fork mounts). I absolutely love them, I think they look cool, they're easy to load (civic's roof isnt very tall), and they're easy on the bikes, and pretty secure.  The downsides to this system is that they're expensive (pieced mine together with sales from orsracksdirect.com, and used stuff from craigslist), and on a long trip you get bugs on your bike unless you have a bike cover (I dont). Another downside is that you need to remember there's a bike on your roof, I've never personally forgotten about this, but there is a low tree that I have to drive through when I leave my appartment, and my bike seat always brushes through the leaves.

I recommend a fairing, otherwise the racks make some wind noise between 40-50 mph.

Oh yeah, I'm in Coeur D'Alene right now after a 9 hour drive, and it held up perfectly, other than some bugs!

Good luck!

2011-06-24 12:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast Michigan
I got a trunk rack last year.  It hooks into the top and bottom of the trunk and doesn't hook into the bumper at all.  I've been happy with it so far.  I took it to a race that was close to 300 miles away last year and it carried both my bike and my buddy's no problem.  No issues with rubbing on the paint finish of the car either.  We do take additional measures to secure the bikes so they don't sway though.  I use some old rags and tie the bike down to the rack and we also strategically place a couple of bungee chords about to further secure them.

2011-06-24 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3565847

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Any possible way the bike can go in the car? That's what I do.  I have a small SUV, but we've managed to get two bikes into a compact rental on vacation (okay, that wasn't easy).  Front wheel off, most bikes will fit in the backseat.  I would at least try it.   It's safe, secure, free and you don't have to worry about the bike when you stop along the way and leave the car. 
2011-06-24 1:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

I had a trunk mounted rack a long time ago and it was a pain to get on the car.  Once it's on the car, you can't get in or out of your trunk without removing the entire rack.  This was the biggest problem for me. 

As others have said, the trunk mount systems can also be hard on the bike.  Rubbing, bouncing, etc. can all leave you with chips in the paint, bent derailleurs, and so on.

The worst was when one of the straps broke and we didn't realize it for about an hour.  We stopped for gas and realized we had been dragging the rear end of the bikes along the highway!  Not pretty.

I'm a big fan of my Yakima roof rack.  I can get in and out of the trunk at will, the rack and bikes all lock (with the SKS locks), it's easy to get bikes on and off, and it looks pretty cool too!

The biggest thing is to remember that your bikes are up there and not drive under anything too low.

2011-06-24 1:57 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
You might check your local craigslist.  Here in Austin, there are always bike racks for half of the retail price.  I bought a $450 hitch rack for $200 (then my suburban was rear-ended and their insurance bought me a brand new $450 hitch rack).
2011-06-24 2:09 PM
in reply to: #3565673

User image

Cuetoy - 2011-06-24 8:49 AM

For a drive that long i would go with a roof rack.  Your bike will be a lot more secure than a trunk mount which i have never personally liked.  If hitch mount would be an option then i would go with that one.  I have both hitch and roof mount and i like both equally.

If you are not used to driving around with your bike in the roof and you think you might forget that is there just come up with some type of system to remind you the bike is there (sticky not on windshiled, something hanged from rearview mirror, etc)

That's a good idea especially for drive thru's ,,,,,,, something to consider (this is where I've heard most do the damage) is at home going into the garage,,,,,,,,,,,, after you back out, get out of the car and put something in your garage so you when you return you have to get out to move it, leave the garage door opener at home or something similar....

I like the roof rack but I'm always scared to have bikes up there. We have a van and generally put them inside with a bungee to hold them in place. 
2011-06-24 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3565861

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio

BikerGrrrl - 2011-06-24 1:16 PM Any possible way the bike can go in the car? That's what I do.   

X3...i have a mid size car and the back of the bike competes with car seat sometimes. i'm not a fan of the process anymore.

don't know the brand of it, but drove 2 1/2 hours to a race a few weeks back with someone who has a trunk rack and the two bikes sat perfectly the whole time. we used bungy cords to keep them taught though, which definetely helped

2011-06-24 2:45 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

I ruled out getting a roof rack, because I don't trust myself to remember that there are bikes up there before going into a drive thru etc.

I have tried a couple of different rear mounted racks, and have had good experiences with them for shorter journeys. I use a Yakima King Joe and a Saris Bones. Both work well, though I think I prefer the Saris rack. I use extra bungees to stabilize the bikes, and some small pieces of the rubber matting that you use to stop rugs from slipping - that helps with rubbing against the car bodywork. Those racks have limited capacity, though. And it does make it a pain to access the trunk.

I'm about to head off on a 2000 mile cross-country drive with a Thule hitch-mounted rack with 4 bikes on it. I splurged on the Revolver type that allows the bikes to swing out to provide access to the trunk hatch. I'll know in a week how well that works out.

For carrying 1-2 bikes, I think we in the US tend to underestimate how much can fit inside a car. Last year when I did the Dragon Ride, one of the biggest bike events in the UK, I was impressed by all the little euro cars that I saw with bikes deftly crammed into small trunk spaces. They pack 'em in really well.

2011-06-24 9:34 PM

Thanks everyone for your help- I have a borrowed trunk rack to get to my across town triathlon tomorrow and lead on a Saris roof mount that should work for much less than the 600 that I saw on the internet search.  I am so excited- this training 7-9 hours a week for 10 months without a tri is another issue.  I will have to post on that- this seems to be a warm weather only sport- I don't think that is necessary- will have to work on that.  A great idea for a post in October!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » roof vs trunk bike rack Rss Feed