General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Roof mount bike rack question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-28 5:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Roof mount bike rack question
Hello,

Just got my Yakima 'forklift' bike mount installed on my factory cross bars. Installation was easy. Bars and rack seem very secure. So, I mounted the bike on the rack in my driveway just to see how it looked.

The front wheel of the bike comes off and the front fork mounts into the special bike rack skewer. And the only thing holding the back wheel is a small 'cup' section and a strap that goes over the bottom of the rim/tire.

Here is my question. How much sway (left to right) should there be in the bike with it fully locked into the bike rack. I had the bike fully locked in and ready to drive off according to the instructions. I wouldn't say that the bike was 'super loose' as far as swaying side to side. I mean the bike is standing there on the rack pretty solid looking, not wobbly or anything.

But if I grab the upper portion of the bike frame and give it a small amount of pressure to the side, it will sway out a bit. I'm just don't want to get out there and start driving the thing around if I don't have it set up right? I'm just imagining going down the interstate and taking one of those turns (you know, the yellow sign recommends 45 mph, but you can make it fine at 50-55) and the bike just lays over to the side and messes the frame all up, KWIM?

Thanks!!!

2011-06-28 8:58 PM
in reply to: #3571830

User image

Master
Beijing
Subject: RE: Roof mount bike rack question

I have the same setup.  

1. tighten skewer as tight as you can, and makes sure the lever "locks" in position.

2. Crank that strap down as far as you can on the rear wheel.

3. Drive.  I've had no problem even at interstate speeds of 70-80 mph.   Crosswinds, no problem.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Roof mount bike rack question Rss Feed