General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2011-11-08 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3893384

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread

ijen0311 - 2011-11-07 7:27 PM I'm using Fitzgerald's Week-by-week training guide.

@iJen: First, good to see you got in as well. Seems like we are on the same race schedule (I am pretty sure you did Augusta as well).

Second, how do you like the book? I came across that book, and it looked interesting....This is the one with the varying plans (1-10 scale for difficulty), correct?

2011-11-08 3:41 PM
in reply to: #3589984

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
IM #1 for me and a bit excited and nervous all at the same time.  Serious training starts in December for a 70.3 in April.  A bit of a break and then back into it through the hot summer months for what should be a cool November race in Florida.  I will imagine crossing that line many times before I actually do.
2011-11-08 5:06 PM

User image

Champion
MA

For those of you doing IMFL for the first time. There are plenty of rentals close to transition you can book close to race. I booked a Boardwalk Beach Condo (host condo) in September and found other units also available.

Something I did not consider but renting through VRBO.com you work directly with owner and if you have an issue with unit the condo management company will not help you.

Turns out our unit was being foreclosed and hadn't paid their association dues so they were unable to get parking passes or wrist bands through normal channel. With help of BTers we worked it out. But at Boardwalk Beach Condos over 50 units are similar to ours (bought high and now prices are 1/3 of what they were 5 or 6 years ago).  Without parking pass you get towed or won't be let into the parking lot. The security was very tight this year as parking close to venue is limited due to ongoing road construction. There was a pay lot that was available as was shuttle to/from Walmart race day.

Our unit had a big notice posted on the front door that they were unable to vote and participate in association.

I suspect other units in other condo complexes are going through similar issues. Did the owner tell us not until week before we left and she shined over the issues.

I thought I might share our experience to help you guys perhaps not get in this situation.

2011-11-08 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3894240

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
Savage8778 - 2011-11-08 11:59 AM

ijen0311 - 2011-11-07 7:27 PM I'm using Fitzgerald's Week-by-week training guide.

@iJen: First, good to see you got in as well. Seems like we are on the same race schedule (I am pretty sure you did Augusta as well).

Second, how do you like the book? I came across that book, and it looked interesting....This is the one with the varying plans (1-10 scale for difficulty), correct?

Yep, but I blew up in Augusta due to some lapses in training (still finished under 8, woo!).

Fitzgerald was preparing me well before I slacked due to some injury stuff. I really like the plan and I think it's very reasonable for a person with a job and life. Let me know if you have questions. Also, I might try to get in on the Bike Fitters training rides/runs they have for IMFL

Edited by ijen0311 2011-11-08 6:04 PM
2011-11-08 7:30 PM
in reply to: #3835646

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
jashac - 2011-11-06 2:25 PM

I just signed up for 2012.  And I just entered this as a race.  This link popped up.  Shall we use it as the official link? 

I'm not sure how to change it to another link anyway.

Let the training begin!

Hi Jasha, glad you got in, one of the lucky few
2011-11-08 10:27 PM

User image

Regular
Madison, MS
I'm in! I sat around the house all morning anxiously awaiting registration and somehow got it within the 16 minutes. This will be my first ironman, along with my first full marathon I'm running in march it ought to be an interesting year!

2011-11-09 4:34 AM

New user

First IM for me, very excited and looking forward to the training.
2011-11-09 5:59 AM
in reply to: #3893758

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Blueraiderzone - 2011-11-08 8:29 AM

Congrats to all of you who signed up for 2012. IMFL 2011 was my first. I did not sign up for next year due a promise I made to my wife, but I did enjoy the experience of chasing the dream to become an Ironman. I would certainly entertain the thought of competing in a 140.6 again.

For all you first timers, it seems like yesterday that I was experiencing the same kinds of emotions you are experiencing now. I was very excited and very nervous. There was a lot of self-doubt about making the distance, but I was very much looking forward to the challenge.

This next year will be one of the longest years you will experience due to the heavy volume of training and the constant anticipation for November. However, in a twist of irony, it will seem like it all flew by so fast once the race is over.

Come the first Saturday in November you will spend up to 17 hours trying to achieve your goal. That day will be a long day but when compared to the numbers of hours in a year those 17 hours or less will just be a blip on the radar.

My advice to you is not to wish this year away. Enjoy every minute of training. Embrace the new friendships that are created. Celebrate the many new milestones reached. Becoming an Ironman may be measured by how well you do in one race on one day, but it is truly the journey that should be celebrated.

Good luck to each of you. I look forward to following your journey.

Wanted to post something like this, but you said it all better than I could.  To the 2012 gang, best of luck!  I'm taking this next year off but may go for #2 in 2013.

2011-11-09 7:14 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte

I am in for my first IM.  

Signed up the morning after my Savannah marathon (luckily that went well).   Wanted to do a 140.6 last year but found every excuse I could not to sign up.  Not this year. 

Full on IM training for me won't really start until May because we are doing Big Sur marathon in late April.  Will try to get as many swim/bikes in as I can through the winder but won't be doing 3 a weeks either.  Once I get rolling, I plan in using Don Finks Intermediate 30 week IronFit plan (which fits in nicely with my Big Sur plans).

I picked florida due to time, location, and wanted the IM experience for my first one.  I hate riding the trainer so i wanted a fall race.  Panama City is still a long drive (9+ hours) but doable and we have a brother-in-law about an hour away so we might be able to get some family to come down with us. 

2011-11-09 8:40 AM

User image

Regular
Marlton, NJ
Got in as well! Very surprised on how fast it sold out, about ~16 minutes or so. This will be my first full Ironman and I'm definitely looking forward to it. I know it's going to be painful, but fun (hopefully, lol). Did my first half Ironman (Eagleman) this past June and coming down the chute, the idea of doing a full was still up in the air, but I'm signed up now and there's no turning back Looking forward to hearing about everyone's training, tips, etc...
2011-11-09 9:00 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

If anyone is intrested here's my race report from this year:

Ironman Florida Race Report

2011-11-09 9:40 AM

2nd IM for me. I may try and post training data on BT this time, but I am horrible w/ technology. Like others, my hands were shaking trying to answer all of the questions--biggest accomplishment. = raising my three kids etc. But here we go. Can't wait for Nov. 3!
2011-11-09 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3895540

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
kaburns1214 - 2011-11-09 10:00 AM

Great race/report Kelly!
2011-11-09 12:54 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

If you registered on-site don't forget to complete the registration sometime between today and the 18th. 

I had an issue with my code so I had to call WTC.  they were very helpful.  while waiting to get it straightened out i asked how many registered on-site.  ~900.  standing in line on sunday i thought it was more than that. 

2011-11-09 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3895540

User image

Regular
Marlton, NJ
kaburns1214 - 2011-11-09 10:00 AM

nice write up, thanks for sharing!

2011-11-09 5:48 PM
in reply to: #3894846

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
ijen0311 - 2011-11-08 7:04 PM

Yep, but I blew up in Augusta due to some lapses in training (still finished under 8, woo!).

Fitzgerald was preparing me well before I slacked due to some injury stuff. I really like the plan and I think it's very reasonable for a person with a job and life. Let me know if you have questions. Also, I might try to get in on the Bike Fitters training rides/runs they have for IMFL

When do those rides start up? I typically ride that general area anyway, and I like how they slowly build with both the run and the bike. And since I primarily train solo, it will be nice to have some training partners to fight boredom and monotony on the longer runs.

2011-11-10 8:44 AM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
I may be the one obsessing over this, but I feel that even though IMFL is a year away, it is never too early to start discussing training strategy. There is an interesting discussion at the Georgia thread about training for an IM, namely what worked for the individual that crushed his or her times this past year. A lot are mentioning a mix of intensity and log-steady effort (base building). I guess it begs the question: how are you planning the next year. Obviously if you start with IM intensity now, you will be burnt out by springtime. So what are you planning to do over the winter? Intensity to build your threshold and wait for IM build to do long stuff? The opposite effect? Or pure cross-training? What about focusing solely on one sport (ie. only biking for the next few months). I am curious to know what method everyone will be using to tackle the madness.
2011-11-10 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3896995

User image

Veteran
Mandeville

I am currently training for Las Vegas Marathon in December.  I had two rotatr cuff surgeries since last December so I am basically starting over on the bike and swim.

I am going to do a 70.3 distance event in May, so after this marathon I'll take a few weeks off for the holidays with some light running, maybe a long run eery other week and some moderate intervals once a week.

Once the year turns, I'll mix in some biking and swimminig and start a training plan to get me to that 70.3.  After the 70.3 I'll take a few days off then begin my plan for IMFLA. 

My training plan only had 2 swims, 2-3 bikes and 4 runs. 

One swim is 2,500 - 3,000 of drills and the other is a long open water or straight pool swim.

My bikes consists of one long HR Zone 2 ride, one interval ride (with 2-4 mile repeats after the ride) and MAYBE another hour long easy ride during the week.

My runs are a easy recovery run in the start of the week, the previously mentioned mile repeats after my interval ride, a late week tempo run and a long HR zone 2 run.

My IM HR racing zone is low-mid 2 (bike 145 max and run 153 max).  When training in those zones on my long run and ride, I try to keep it in the low 140's for the bike and high 140's for the run.

2011-11-10 9:26 AM

User image

Regular
Marlton, NJ
Still a year or so out, but just wanted to know if anyone had some good insight on places to stay for that weekend. I was planning on arriving Wednesday, October 31st and leaving on November the 5th. I was going to check out the vacation rental sites, but figured it might be good to ask on this thread.
2011-11-10 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3897076

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

ryanone - 2011-11-10 9:26 AM Still a year or so out, but just wanted to know if anyone had some good insight on places to stay for that weekend. I was planning on arriving Wednesday, October 31st and leaving on November the 5th. I was going to check out the vacation rental sites, but figured it might be good to ask on this thread.

Stay close, especially if you have several family members going with you. We stayed at the Boardwalk Beach Condos, which is right next to the race hotel. Th prices were jacked up some due to the race, but it was well worth it.

Parking is very limited in that area. On Thursday I had to be on-site to sign-in. Then Thursday night had to be over there for the athlete dinner. Friday I had to go over there for bike check-in. Saturday morning I had to be over there for special needs bags and to prepare my bike for the day....I just couldn't imagine driving there every time and dealing with parking.

Plus, while I was racing my family could go back to the condo and relax. When I was close on the bike or the run they just had to go downstairs to check on me....they didn't have to stay in the area all day with no place to hang out.

It made the whole experience much better.

2011-11-10 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3897144

User image

Veteran
Mandeville

I've done both (staying close sna dtaying far away), and both have HUGE advtantages.

Staying close: If I don't stay at the Boardwalk Beach Condo's (high rise next to transition), I am not staying on S. Thomas.  The biggest advantage for me being close is race morning.  Other than that, it's too hectic and Ironman overload for the family and the athlete.  Staying at the condos are huge on race morning because you can walk over with your bike, go back to your room, bodymark yourself and put on your wetsuit and the balcony is a GREAT place to watch the swim.

You don't have to drive to drop your bike off, athletes meeting, drop off special needs bags etc.

Whats bad about staying there.  If your family wants to see you on the run course, the closest place is in front of La Vela, and thats kind of a hike from transition/finish line if you have young ones.  And like I mentioned before, there is little escape from the IM hysteria.

Stayin further away: if you can find a condo on the run course, it is WONDERFUL for your support crew. Look at Whispering Seas on Surf Dr. (there are also tons of other smaller places). They can walk (or ride bikes - about a mile) to see you start the swim, then when you leave for the bike, they can retreat to the condo for a few hours. Then all they have to do is stand on the street and watch you pass 4 times on the run.   There is also a high rise right there where Thomas turns to Surf Dr., but can't remember the name of it.   Whispering Seas was adequate and clean, but not as nice as the high rise.

This is a little more difficult for the athlete on race day and leading up to the race since it is about a mile from the finish and you'll end up going back to race site pretty frequently.  Shores of Panama and Laketown Harbor raise little interest for me. 

BUT, alot depends on your personal preferences and wether you want it easier on you, or your family, but in my opinion, there is no questions it is easier for your family to stay on the run course, not at transition or the bike course.

2011-11-10 11:08 AM

User image

Expert

Loved Shores of Panama.  We already booked he same condo for 2012.  It was about 1/4 mile from IM Village.  Far enough away but close enough to easily walk to the start, village, etc.  Beautiful condo overlooking the gulf.  Very nice.

I am going to check the Boardwalk Condo's but not sure based on Kathy's post.  It can happen anywhere but that would stink.  Also, we can take our dog at the condo we rent so that is a plus for us.  I could not imagine having to drive in and drop off my bike, register, etc.

This is not a spectator sport so I really don't plan on spectators being on the course.  But, I don't have little kids so that is not a factor.  When I left the condo for the start I told my wife "I'll see you at the finish".   I did manage to see her when I went our for the run, but that was it and it worked for us. 

enjoy,

Duane 

Edited by Duanerice 2011-11-10 11:10 AM
2011-11-10 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3897319

User image

Champion
MA

I'd stay at Boardwalk Beach Condos again in heartbeat but check out status of owners a bit but who is going to tell you their unit is being repossessed? I'm sure many other condos in the area in other buildings are having similar issues. Going through VBRO can save you money but there is a bit more of risk.

Shores of Panama means you can park there and get in out during race but it is short walk every time you have to go to Iron Village.

I've stayed 3x at Shores of Panama and 1x a Boardwalk Beach, plus 1x at Majestic. We liked nearness of Boardwalk Beach condos. Staying farther away is challenging to park every time you go to the village.

If you have older folks or young kids you need to talk with those coming to know what is best for them. Logistically it can be a long day for those who standing and walking a lot is a challenge.

Host hotel/condo tends to be most expensive.

All depends what is important to your and your loved ones.

2011-11-10 11:14 AM
in reply to: #3897173

Hey all - a few questions for you about the Fitzgerald plan and the free plan on the BT site.

How is the Fitzgerald plan?  Does it work well for busy folks?  There were some mixed reviews on Amazon for book, so hence my questions.  Same basic question on the BT plan - does it work well?

And my last question is the one that I've been wrestling with the most.  Can I use a self-directed Fitzgerald/BT type plan and be ok, or should I hire a local coach?  I'm leaning towards the self-directed plans, but wanted to know what other people think.

Thanks.

2011-11-10 11:17 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I agree with pros/cons of staying close/far that LSUFan posted.

Again consider the needs and comfort of you and your loved ones when choosing.

I'm not booking until next Fall. I'm having major surgery (HTO-realigning my leg in effort to have weight on part of my knee I have good cartilage) next month and I need to see how I recover if doing IMFL next year will be possible for me.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 64