General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Helping a newbie swimmer, where do I start?! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-15 9:13 PM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: Helping a newbie swimmer, where do I start?!

A friend of mine wants to swim for fitness and asked me if I would come and help her today. I am not a swim coach and she knows that. We have limited people in the area that are qualified as swimming instructors and they are all coaching swim teams right now. I'm just trying to give her general pointers to get her started and I'm hoping she will join the swim for fitness class at the Y when our pool remodeling is complete.

Lot's of issues going on with her stroke: Sinking legs, lifting head way too high to breath, no catch, no pull, swinging her arms way behind her then out to the side for a stroke. Just really lots of stuff. Looks like her kick is coming from her hips - I was happy to see that! I don't want to overwhelm her with too many things all at once but I'm afraid if she doesn't find some comfort in the water she will quit. She also quits in the middle of a lap if she gets water in her nose.

Where should we start? Today we worked the fingertip drill, superman drill (I think that is what it's called), and tried to simplify her breathing to just breath, bubbles, breath, bubbles.

Am I way off track? Too hard to say if you can't see for yourself? Other suggestions?

2011-07-15 9:36 PM
in reply to: #3599133

User image

Expert
Anaheim Hills, CA
Subject: RE: Helping a newbie swimmer, where do I start?!

The first thing my coach did was have me do bobs at the side of the pool until I could comfortably exhale underwater and take quick breaths in then go back under again. 

**note I've only had one session so far.

2011-07-15 10:30 PM
in reply to: #3599133

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Helping a newbie swimmer, where do I start?!
I used to have to do those when I first started too. I forgot all about that!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Helping a newbie swimmer, where do I start?! Rss Feed