General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MD tri clubs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-18 9:08 AM

User image

Gaithersburg
Subject: MD tri clubs
I live in Gaithersburg and am interesed in joining a tri club for some group rides and ows. Any reccomendations?

2011-07-18 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3601385

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: RE: MD tri clubs
I am not too familiar with that part of town but if its in the southern end of MD towards DC then I believe Montgomery County has a tri club and I know Columbia has some (mid maryland tri club, I belive) and Baltimore Area Tri Club (BATC). I live in northern MD so if you are ever in the Harford County area, I am with the Harford Multisport Club (www.harfordmultisport.org) I would also check out the MD races section within the website, I believe when you search for races within the state, there is a link on the right hand side for local clubs. You might want to check that out and happy hunting.
2011-07-18 1:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Not sure about Gaithersburg but DC Triathlon Club is fairly large and you can probably see what their schedule is like. Large club and suspect a good amount of folks from Mont Co. As dmbfan4life said, Mid-Maryland is an option too and has a good number of folks as well. There's the club I belong to, the Frederick Triathlon Club, but still kinda small and don't yet have a lot of organized groups like the bigger clubs (we'll get there). Now, it may be a bit far but there's OWS in NW Frederick Co organized by Racine Multisports (www.racinemultisports.com). Next one is July 30. Hope you find some folks to train with!
2011-07-19 3:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi there!  Another way to go might be to check your local YMCA and check if they have regular group runs, rides etc...I'm really surprised that Montgomery county does not have a tri club...better yet...start one! If you build it....well you know the rest...Smile
2011-07-20 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3604500

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville

NAVYVET2005 - 2011-07-19 4:33 PM Hi there!  Another way to go might be to check your local YMCA and check if they have regular group runs, rides etc...I'm really surprised that Montgomery county does not have a tri club...better yet...start one! If you build it....well you know the rest...Smile

There is one... MoCo Multisport (http://www.mocomultisport.org/).  I don't know anything about them but they popped up while I was searching for something else a while back and I bookmarked the site.  According to they're website I believe they're based in Gaithersburg but I totally forgot about it until you mentioned MoCo.

2011-07-21 10:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC

I'm in Rockville, joined MOCO early last year, but ended up doing so many training rides in Columbia, joined Mid-Maryland (MMTC), and it's a great, great group - very much worth the drive, and I'm meeting more of us from around here up there, too. Over 400 members, so big enough to do some things, but not too big, and really friendly, supportive bunch with athletes truly at all ends of the spectrum, from pro/elite, to a 70 year old finishing his first tri in June. Great mentoring program, seem to always be folks looking on the listserve for others with whom to swim or ride, and I've more than recouped my measly membership dues ($35?) with club discounts at merchants, I think. MOCO has some group rides out of Fleet Feet on Saturdays, presumably no-drop, but not true, and can't quite seem to get it together to do/be more than that. Heard they got cool club tri gear though.

HTH!

2011-07-22 8:20 AM
in reply to: #3609315

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
MarlaS - 2011-07-21 11:07 PM

I'm in Rockville, joined MOCO early last year, but ended up doing so many training rides in Columbia, joined Mid-Maryland (MMTC), and it's a great, great group - very much worth the drive, and I'm meeting more of us from around here up there, too. Over 400 members, so big enough to do some things, but not too big, and really friendly, supportive bunch with athletes truly at all ends of the spectrum, from pro/elite, to a 70 year old finishing his first tri in June. Great mentoring program, seem to always be folks looking on the listserve for others with whom to swim or ride, and I've more than recouped my measly membership dues ($35?) with club discounts at merchants, I think. MOCO has some group rides out of Fleet Feet on Saturdays, presumably no-drop, but not true, and can't quite seem to get it together to do/be more than that. Heard they got cool club tri gear though.

HTH!

MMTC = The Yellow, Black, and Red Menace.   

There were so many of them at a freakin' RUNNING race I did last November I couldn't believe it.  It was probably 10% of the field at least!

In all seriousness, I've heard great things about that club.  I'm a member of the Annapolis Triathlon Club (which is a hike for me to get to group rides, even more so for you).  But we have really cool tri unis.

2011-07-25 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3609655

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
jmhpsu93 - 2011-07-22 9:20 AM
MarlaS - 2011-07-21 11:07 PM

HTH!

MMTC = The Yellow, Black, and Red Menace.   

There were so many of them at a freakin' RUNNING race I did last November I couldn't believe it.  It was probably 10% of the field at least!

In all seriousness, I've heard great things about that club.  I'm a member of the Annapolis Triathlon Club (which is a hike for me to get to group rides, even more so for you).  But we have really cool tri unis.

LOL...it's all about the gear...AND the fact the we have incredible food in our tent at races. definitely need to focus on the important stuff like this.

i like that yellow black & red menace thing. at 24 hours of booty our team's the krased marauders. that fits, too.

2011-08-04 9:47 PM

Hi fellow Marylanders!  My name is Elaine and I am the region lead for areas in/around Montgomery County for the DC Triathlon Club.  Just because it says "DC" doesn't mean we don't like those that live across the border  

I live in Gaithersburg and am very active in the club without ever really having to go down to DC or VA. We have a large MoCo contingency in the club.  We have the whole gamut of scheduled training; swims, rides, runs, and bricks and members in Maryland from newbies to seasoned IM triathletes.  We had our weekly Thursday Poolesville ride earlier tonight + mini brick if you were up for it.  We have a great forum where you can find local training partners as well.  

The group in MD are all pretty casual and leave the egos at the door (maybe something to do with living in the 'burbs)  

DC Tri club ($35 membership) also holds club wide training sprint tris that will only cost you $10, "brick-nics" (brick + huge cookout picnic) twice a year, happy hours, training programs, coaches, and a ton more stuff.  If I keep writing, I'll start sound like a marketing person for the club. I've only been in the club for a year and absolutely love it.  I hope you "choose" us!

http://dctriclub.org/index.cfm

http://dctriclub.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=members.welcome

MD specific email: [email protected]

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MD tri clubs Rss Feed