General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shorter stem when mounting aerobars? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-08 4:36 PM

Subject: Shorter stem when mounting aerobars?
I recently purchased clip-on aerobars for my road bike. When I was at my LBS the other day killing time, one of the guys who worked there mentioned that I may want to try a shorter stem if I am going to add aerobars (the ones I purchased do not adjust forwards/backwards). I have no idea what length my stem is now, and I really don't want to get a professional fitting, so just wanted to see what the consensus was:

for those that have mounted clip-on aerobars, did you put a shorter stem on your bike?

Any insight will be much appreciated! Thanks!

2005-09-08 6:11 PM
in reply to: #242951

User image

New user

Long Island NY
Subject: RE: Shorter stem when mounting aerobars?
I put some clipons on my bike, but they were adjustable.Tilt your head 45 degrees and just drop a line from your nose to your stem and it should be 1 inch behind your handlebars. but do this while on the hoods not on the aeros, that will give u a good idea how the fit of the stem is in general. but mostly go by the feel, too long or short of a stem isnt good.
2005-09-09 7:26 PM

New user
Get fit by a pro. It's the best way you can ever spend your money. It adds to your overall comfort and they can make the right adjustmens to maximize your aerodynamics.
2005-09-10 10:45 PM
in reply to: #243635

Just out of curiosity, what is the average price for having a bike shop measure you and adjust your bike accordingly?
2005-09-13 12:12 PM

Pro
Andover
I paid $195 for my Tri bike fit. He spent 3 hours with me and man did it make a difference--worth every cent!

And, a couple weeks after that fit I went back with my road bike and had that one fit. Since he already had my measurements, it took much less time and was much less expensive.

Unfortunately my rear wheel blew up in the truing stand that night--spokes pulled right through the rim --so I haven't been able to ride it since. But my new wheel-set should be in this weekend ad I'm looking forward to my first long ride with the new fit!

My advice... Get the fit done by a pro!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shorter stem when mounting aerobars? Rss Feed