General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Outside ankle pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-08 7:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Montreal
Subject: Outside ankle pain
I know there was a similar thread not too long ago but the symptoms were not the same as mine.

During my last few runs, the outside of my right ankle starts to hurt around the second half of my run. Everytime I put my foot down, the outer part of the "rotating" part of my ankle starts to hurt. The pain is not intense but after a while I find myself trying to put less weight on my foot and therefore feel like I am plimping.

Is this simply a question of my legs not being used to running? Do I need to stretch more? Or can it be my running shoes?

I think I might need new shoes (Running New Balance shoes that I have had for about a year) but what else can I do until I have the extra $$ to buy some new fitted shoes?

2005-09-09 1:13 AM
in reply to: #243003

Expert
Brisbane
Subject: RE: Outside ankle pain
Rest and Ice. As for your shoes I would suggest they are shot. Time to trash your NB and get a fresh set. The shoe degrades quickly with high mileage runners. I once chewed through a pair of Reebok DMX runners in 8 weeks running nearly everyday. You also need to consider the additional miles you do just throing them on for walking etc It all adds up.

I have suggested in other threads that if the budget can afford it buy two pairs at the same time and alternate them with your run schedule to give them time to dry out and breath.

The heel cup in shoes also starts to flex more with age thus not giving as much support. Have you also considered having your feet, gait, and alignment assessed in realation to the shoes you are buying? this will often point out the type of shoe you should buy sacving precious dough in the long run. Pardon the pun.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Outside ankle pain Rss Feed