General Discussion Triathlon Talk » dr doing a great job of scaring the s##t out of me Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-30 11:37 AM

User image

corpus christi area
Subject: dr doing a great job of scaring the s##t out of me
so just had my surgery (minor) on torn meniscus and had 3 micro fractures done on knee.  so dr. tells me crutches for three weeks.  he doesnt want me running till ive lost a good amount of weight plus making it sound like if i dont take this serious, knee replacement in future.  of course i have talked to plenty of people who seem to have had worse and they are running.  any words of encourgement or just some thoughts.  because i wanna tri.  aaahhhhhhh

2011-07-30 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3621768

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Subject: RE: dr doing a great job of scaring the s##t out of me

Obviously cannot know all the details, but why discount doc's advice about YOUR case? Body weight adds significant stress to the joints while running, so the advice is logical.  HOWEVER that does not mean giving up.  Ask about water running, which is much less stressful on the leg joints.  Or concentrate on swimming or cycling (easier gears to minimize knee strain).  There are many athletes of all levels who had to give up one sport for a time due to injury, or sometimes just to get much better at their weaker sports.

Good luck & speedy recovery!!!

2011-07-30 12:07 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

It sucks when our desires don't line up with the Dr.'s advice.  

If you genuinely think he's wrong or misguided you can always get a second opinion.  Also, if he's just saying cut some weight to run I think that would be a huge motivator for me.  There's a lot of training you can do that will get your conditioning and endurance up besides running.  Aqua jogging and elliptical would be thing's I'd look into.

Either way, good luck and don't be discouraged.

2011-07-30 12:10 PM

User image

Fort Walton Beach
Geez...I wish my sister's Dr would be so honest. She tore her acl, it did not heal well. Now she has had a knee replacement. She eats constantly, goes out to dinner almost every night and gets dessert to boot. Now she is so unfit that it's going to be super hard for her to crawl out of that hole. It hurts to see that happen to someone you love. Loosing weight would certainly help her, but her Dr, never tells her that. I guess they don't want their patients to seek other counsel when they are honest.  I'd stick with yours and heed his/her advice sounds like he/she actually has a spine.
2011-07-30 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3621793

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

lmihalcik - 2011-07-30 12:10 PM Geez...I wish my sister's Dr would be so honest. She tore her acl, it did not heal well. Now she has had a knee replacement. She eats constantly, goes out to dinner almost every night and gets dessert to boot. Now she is so unfit that it's going to be super hard for her to crawl out of that hole. It hurts to see that happen to someone you love. Loosing weight would certainly help her, but her Dr, never tells her that. I guess they don't want their patients to seek other counsel when they are honest.  I'd stick with yours and heed his/her advice sounds like he/she actually has a spine.

Not to thread hijack too much, but I see this a lot too.  I had a step mom who weighed over 400 lbs. and she'd come back from the dr. bragging about how he said she had the heart of a 20 year old.  omg

2011-07-30 1:49 PM

User image

Regular
Tampa, FL

I encourage you to lose the weight.  Anything that makes running easier is good advice.

-Ken

2011-07-30 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3621834

Houston

Not to thread hijack too much, but I see this a lot too.  I had a step mom who weighed over 400 lbs. and she'd come back from the dr. bragging about how he said she had the heart of a 20 year old.  omg

You think the doctor was lying to her?Undecided

2011-07-30 3:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

Losing weight is a very good idea for your knee. But losing weight will also make a huge difference for reducing your chances of getting a whole series of acute and chronic (and deadly) diseases. Also, it is very, very smart to let your knee FULLY heal before loading it again with any training.

Another way to look at it, if you really love tri training and tri lifestyle: do you want to train for the next 20 weeks, or the next 20 years?

My answer is to always take the long view ... Wink

2011-07-30 4:16 PM

User image

corpus christi area
i weigh 235 am 5'6 so yeah looks like dualathlons are in my future along with salads.  i guess just upset, cause i see people in worse shape then me and doing the training.  but yes i do wanna be doing this for the next 20 years BUT  i also wanna bust my "TRI" cherry.  sorry again just venting.
2011-07-30 4:26 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I had surgery for torn meniscus last year, healed okay but not fully back to my normal self..did an IM 5 months later. Now 7 months after last IM, I walk with a limp often, had rapid onset arthritis, have 3 bone on bone spots, will need knee replacement just trying to put it off, may have surgery to realign my leg so my weight is on part of my knee I have cartilage on, opted to stop running to keep my knee as long as possible and avoid pain.

Losing weight is easier when we can be active for me especially running.

I had to pull out of IMLP and debating if I will do IMFL that I'm signed up to do...walk the run or DNF after the bike.

My life improved greatly as I started tri'ing in '04 and to lose my ability to participate te way I want to was pretty devastating.

Today I did a relay with my 15 year old and we came in first female relay.

I have found aquabike races and signed up for them. Reorienting my goals has been a journey.

2011-07-30 10:00 PM
in reply to: #3621923

User image

Master
Central Indiana

brosemail - 2011-07-30 5:16 PM i weigh 235 am 5'6 so yeah looks like dualathlons are in my future along with salads.  i guess just upset, cause i see people in worse shape then me and doing the training.  but yes i do wanna be doing this for the next 20 years BUT  i also wanna bust my "TRI" cherry.  sorry again just venting.

Sometimes hard to keep in mind that every one is different. 

You obviously have desire to do tri, which is fantastic.  And remember proper diet is critical for all, inc elites.  Pro cyclist Chris Horner's breakthrough win of TdC (California) was attributed to improvement of his admittedly bad diet.

Best of luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

2011-07-31 5:29 AM

User image

Regular
Tampa, FL

training for Tri and eating right are not 2 separate things.  When I am eating fruit at work, eating a healthy lunch, it is 100% a continuation of the run/bike/swim that I have done in the morning.  Tri training is not just the sports, you can make it a lifestyle.  <sermon over>

-Ken

2011-07-31 5:57 AM
in reply to: #3622198

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
kwc98 - 2011-07-31 6:29 AM

training for Tri and eating right are not 2 separate things.  When I am eating fruit at work, eating a healthy lunch, it is 100% a continuation of the run/bike/swim that I have done in the morning.  Tri training is not just the sports, you can make it a lifestyle.  

-Ken

Totally agree. A healthy body and mind craves healthy food. After putting in the time and effort, you quickly realize what nutrition your body really needs to recover and sustain itself. Apparently, mine still requires some amount of beer with regularity.
2011-07-31 6:18 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred Doucette 2011-07-31 6:43 AM
2011-07-31 7:26 AM
in reply to: #3621855

Extreme Veteran
fattrigirl - 2011-07-30 2:14 PM

You think the doctor was lying to her?Undecided

No, but people hear and repear what they want to hear.  My MIL is the same way--she's in terrible shape, overweight, diabetic, and has had one knee replacement.  She goes to the Dr, comes home and  tells us about the one positive such as "My blood pressure is good!"  The leaves out that the doc followed that statement with something like "...for someone 100 lbs overweight and diabetic."

2011-07-31 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3622235

Houston

No, but people hear and repear what they want to hear.  My MIL is the same way--she's in terrible shape, overweight, diabetic, and has had one knee replacement.  She goes to the Dr, comes home and  tells us about the one positive such as "My blood pressure is good!"  The leaves out that the doc followed that statement with something like "...for someone 100 lbs overweight and diabetic."

Well that sounds like a small victory for your MIL.  I think people should get to have their little victories.  Also, your family might only tell you the positive because you've come off so critically toward them in the past.  Just my assumption from what you've said.  Nobody wants to be constantly beat up for their weight. 

===

To OP:  I know where you're coming from. Last December, I had surgery on my foot (non-weight related) and was AWOL from jogging for about three months.  So when March came around and I found out I could run again, I got really excited and over did it.  I signed up for two marathons (November 2011 and Feb. 2012.)  Got back into my, pretty advanced, running group and started upping my mileage -- too quickly.

Result?  Knee injury - overuse...yada, yada, yada.  So I went from 66 mpm to 25 mpm.  I've been in A.R.T. therapy and physical therapy for three weeks, but I am starting to see results.  I can run two miles without any pain.

As much as it annoying me, because really I like to run, I'm taking it really painfully slow this time Frown.  I'll be happy if I can do a half-marathon in November.

So my advice, is to take it easy.  Lose the weight.  This does help as it takes pressure off the knees. Just make it a long term goal, be patient, celebrate small victories, give yourself some slack, and remember that you have other parts of this silly sport to focus on - like swimming and cycling (if you can do that during your recovery.)

Oh and, if you really like to run, look into pool running (aqua jogging).  Get a waterproof mp3 player and run around the pool.  This has helped me (at least psychologically).

2011-07-31 12:30 PM

Sounds like a good enough reason to lose weight.  Not to mention you'll be faster. 
2011-07-31 3:56 PM
in reply to: #3622451

Extreme Veteran
fattrigirl - 2011-07-31 12:28 PM

Well that sounds like a small victory for your MIL.  I think people should get to have their little victories.  Also, your family might only tell you the positive because you've come off so critically toward them in the past.  Just my assumption from what you've said.  Nobody wants to be constantly beat up for their weight. 

===

I believe your assumption would be false.  My MIL and I have never had a conversation about weight--we have plenty of other things to disagree about!  And my wife and I both struggle with our weight but give each other positive reinforcement about being healthy--something my MIL is not interested in.

2011-08-01 12:03 AM
in reply to: #3622451

Veteran
Indiana
fattrigirl - 2011-07-31 1:28 PM

Little victories can be good if they are accompanied by realism, and if they create encouragement to address problems and make difficult changes.

That's not what most people do, though. More common is to magnify the little victory, forget about the problem list and the to-do list, and stop by Diary Queen on the way home from the doctor.

Everyone needs Grace and Truth. All Truth and no Grace, and we're just getting beat up. All Grace and no Truth, we're living in fantasy land and sooner or later reality will intrude.

2011-08-01 6:14 AM
in reply to: #3623048

Edited by Fred Doucette 2011-08-01 6:16 AM
2011-08-01 6:38 AM

Master

How about walking?  When I was coming back from plantar fasciitis, I started out with walking and it made a world of difference.  Sure, you don't burn off calories as quickly on a walk but you can still get your sweat on, burn some calories and produce some endorphins.  Then, once you have recovered and as your knee tolerates it (and really slowly), you can add some run intervals into the walks.  Walking with a book on my i-pod helped me because I could focus on the story instead of how much I wanted to run.

Even now, if I have a problem that prevents me from running (injury, strain, whatever), I just do a walk of equivalent duration.  I read in Bob Glover's "Guide to Competitive Running" that it is important to have time on your feet and that is what he does when injured.

Oh, and, when you walk the whole marathon in your IM, you know what they call you?  Ironman.

2011-08-01 9:54 AM

Pro
Twin Cities

Was yoru mfx patellar? 3 weeks is not too bad of a go on crutches--it could be a lot longer for some wb-areas in the knee (non-patellar).

Long story short...sure, you may be able to run again. And sure, less weight is always good on the knee.

Every case is different. I was able to run again after mine, but I did have to cut back significantly. Mine was also in a WB area, and I had other stuff going on, however.

2011-08-01 10:24 AM

corpus christi area
well he never really said it but i feel this dr. is one of those "real" doctors.  you know the one thats your supposed to ask before doing anything.  so right off the back when i mentioned running he told me we need to lose some weight first.  now before my MRI was done he did prescribe bike, eliptical.  but as soon as operation was done he made it clear NO RUNNING till weight was way down.  so i know after my crutch time the bike will be ok dont know about eliptical or treadmill(walking).  like i say i like this dr.  and will do what he wants but he just makes it sound like running will be something only done in emergencys.  and the whole time i felt like man this knee problem is nothing.  oh well we will see.
2011-08-01 12:05 PM
in reply to: #3623584

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » dr doing a great job of scaring the s##t out of me Rss Feed