United States
Lima Family YMCA
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m
Overall Rank = 75/84
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/13
Pre-race routine:

No routine, watched kids and waited for relief! Had powerbar energy bar.
Event warmup:

Only had maybe 10m to warm up, ran roughly 1/2 mile and then got into water and completed a couple 50's
Swim
  • 10m
  • 500 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt swim went pretty well, had some difficulties getting around the 1st bouy because of the sharp turn, lost all momentum and took a little bit to get going again. Did have short span doing back stroke to catch breath
What would you do differently?:

Not much, felt like a good swim
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

No issues
Bike
  • 50m 53s
  • 15 miles
  • 17.69 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good through 1st half of course, right on target at half way point. Lost some momentum the 2nd half but still feel it was a decent performance

I have to preview the course before race time, I think part of the 2nd half fall was not knowing the course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Not much to do here other than find my spot and make it to the other side of the TA
Run
  • 37m 23s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Not sure what happened here, coming out of TA I felt good and ready to run. With-in 1 mile I was out of air and could not keep an even steady pace. I started at a 9m pace which should have been relatively easy, but could not hold. By the half way point I was having to stop and walk to even keep moving. I don't think the overall bad rating for the run is enough to describe how terrible the performance was.

No idea!!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for short term, short ride on bike to loosen leg muscle.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Failure to maintain the run,

Event comments:

Race was well organized and had no issues. Too bad my overall performance didn't match.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:00 | 500 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 8/13
Overall: 0/84
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:50:53 | 15 miles | 17.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/13
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Decent course mostly straight, not many turns, many rolling hills. Just enough to make it suck the energy out of my legs
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:37:23 | 03.11 miles | 12m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/13
Performance: Bad
Course: On park bike path, decent course mostly flat but had some steep bridges to get over. Nothing that should of been a big challenge
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-31 8:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: Lima YMCA/Kewpee Triathlon

2011-08-01 4:39 AM
in reply to: #3622895

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Lima YMCA/Kewpee Triathlon

Your race was was a little stressful, not knowing if your wife would make it and lack of mental preparation may very well be part of your lack of satisfaction with your performance.  All in all, looking at the results posted, you seemed to place just fine in your AG for the individual disciplines.

Keep pounding the pavement and you'll make all kinds of gains heading into next season.  Also, that Garmin 305 will really help you learn where to put your efforts in the bike and run.  Finding those places can be difficult, as we discussed yesterday, but once you know your "burnout" range you can race faster by proper pacing.

2011-08-01 10:22 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Matt, you should be super proud of yourself.  This is part of making a better life for you and an awesome example for those kids.  You have come a long way in a short period of time, have an awesome, supportive wife and have a lot of time to get fast.  Congrats on a great race and keep plugging along.
2011-08-01 11:11 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Glad you got to race Matt.

Can't say why (or even if) your run was bad.  But I do believe generally that the difference between a person's stand-alone running, and their running in a triathlon is determined primarily by their biking fitness.

So if a 9m pace is generally pretty easy for you, but you can't hold that in a tri, then at the top of the list of suspects would be your cycling conditioning.

The best thing is that you got to race this weekend.  Big kudos go out to your wife!

2011-08-01 12:21 PM

User image

NH

Given the hectic nature of the lead up to this race, that's a solid performance.  I don't think you can underestimate how much havoc not knowing you were racing until so late can play on your body.

Actually having raced makes it a great day.  Like Dirk says, knowing where to expend your energy is the key as even a sprint is definitely an endurance event.  Only in triathlon is an hour and a half event called a sprint.  Good job.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lima YMCA/Kewpee Triathlon Rss Feed