General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie – first mini-sprint in 2 weeks! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-08 5:09 PM

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL
Subject: Newbie – first mini-sprint in 2 weeks!

Hi everyone.  I’m a newbie from the Chicago area.  I finally got off the couch and into better shape in the last two years and got introduced to running races this year.  I’ve got the tri bug after reading “The Long Run” and hearing about tri’s at my chiropractor and reading about them online.  I’m trying my first event in two weeks – it’s a mini or super sprint distance and I can’t wait!  I love training for events and being the engineer that I am, I love researching and planning my training, too.  My blog says my ultimate goal is to run a marathon, but I’m getting inspired to amend that goal to run the marathon and then eventually an ironman event. 

I’m already looking ahead to next year (wishing I had gotten into tri earlier this year!) and trying to plan my race and training schedule.  I think I can get to the half-iron level physically by the end of next summer, can I gain enough experience by doing a few sprints and olys earlier in the summer?  Or am I better off focusing on the shorter distances for one season then training for the half the next year?  I'd love to do the half-iron distance, but I'm a little nervous that I'd be trying to pack too much into my first season.  Last question (for now) – are any of the training books from Friel, Fitzgerald, etc. worth buying or is online reading and planning good enough these days?

Thanks in advance for your help!  I'm excited to join the community!

2011-08-08 6:36 PM
in reply to: #3634774

Regular
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: Newbie – first mini-sprint in 2 weeks!

First of all, welcome to the sport! 

Second, don't necessarily get super caught up in trying to go as long as possible immediately off the bat. Learn to optimize your training and preparation over a period of time... you'll learn to both control your effort based on on what you know you can do, gain experience that is especially valuable as distance increases, and you'll have much more enjoyable time as you complete each milestone smiling and cheering across the line, instead of just suffering. 

Even if you can physically accomplish a half-iron distance in a year, cement your love of the sport by learning it and becoming part of it, instead of just checking it off a list!

Good luck, and welcome to the madness!  

2011-08-09 4:36 PM

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL
Thanks for the reply and the perspective.  I like to challenge myself, but maybe the shorter distances will be a challenge enough to start with.  Didn't intend to sound like I am just trying to check things off the list, either.  I think the half is a comfortable distance that I could stick with as an annual season-ending event; the full IM might be a "check off the bucket list" type thing, though.  But who knows until you actually do one.  Thanks again.
2011-08-09 5:54 PM

New user

best of luck to ya!! let me know how you do, i have my first this weekend

Edited by madnikki 2011-08-09 5:59 PM
2011-08-19 12:14 PM

I to am doing the chicago super sprint on the 27th! This will be my first one also and I am starting to get in the panic stage! But I am still very excited!

Kerry

Crown Point, In

2011-08-19 12:31 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago
I'll be out there volunteering at the SuperSprint ahead of racing the sprint distance the next day. This is a great race to try for your first (that's what I did last year). Enjoy it and I'll see you out there!

2011-08-20 9:11 PM

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL

madnikki - hope your first tri was great!

mmrt & lionfan - good luck in Chicago next weekend!

I am officially #95 for tomorrow's Woodridge Mini Triathlon!  I'm excited!  It's 250 yd swim, 6.2 mile bike, 2.1 mile run.  I'm planning on going "all in" for everything at those distances but also looking forward to just the experience and to try something new and have fun.  Bike is racked on the car, bag is packed - I'll let you know how it goes!

2011-08-24 1:23 PM

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL
Finally a chance to write about the Woodridge Mini Triathlon.  I had a great time!  First off I will say that I thought the event was very well organized and I thought the race ran smoothly.  I picked up the packets for my brother and I on Saturday (race on Sunday) so we could get things organized and save time on Sunday.  Brother was #54 and I was #95.  You start in bib number order, so I started swimming about 30 minutes into the race.  Of course we ended up leaving the house a little late because my wife and 2.5 year old daughter decided to ride with us instead of separately.  I was a little worried about being late, but we ended up having plenty of time.  We got our transition area set up and took a few pictures and went to our pool to await the swim start.  My brother is a more experienced swimmer than me, so he gave a slightly faster time and went off about 15 minutes earlier than me.  I was pretty revved up to start and crushed my 250 yard swim in 3:45.  I probably went a little too hard as I was pretty gassed coming out of the pool.  I tried to get smart and pin my bib to my shirt prior to the race, but of course the shirt got rolled up on my wet body so my bike time got off to a slow start.  I caught my breath on the bike and went as hard as I could for 6.2 miles.  I even took the time to have that "I'm actually doing this" moment while pedaling down the street!  That was neat.  I don't have the special shoes and pedals (yet), so T2 was no problem - rack the bike, take off the helmet and go!  I felt strong coming off the bike and smoked the 2.1 mile run, passing my bro along the way (running is not his strong suit at all).  Unless the preliminary results change, I finished 4th in my age group (!) with a total time of 42:52.  Not bad for a first triathlon, I don't think.  It was great having my wife and daughter there to cheer me on and fun running and training with my brother.  I think I'm in for this whole triathlon thing - I can't stop thinking about what I could have done faster in transition (many things) and how I can train better (many more things) - I've already got my eye on some of the local races for next year.  I wish I could do another tri this summer/fall, but my schedule isn't going to allow for it.  Oh, well, more time to train and prepare for next year!    If you're looking for a good intro to tri, I would highly recommend the Woodridge Mini - definitely a fun time!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie – first mini-sprint in 2 weeks! Rss Feed