3disciplines
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 1s
Overall Rank = 225/350
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/29
Pre-race routine:

Screwed up the setting of the alarm last night, so woke up an hour late (thanks to D, or I may never have made it). I had too many things but managed to be out on the road by 5:30am. Ate an applecherryberry bar & a bottle of water for breakfast on the way.

Got lost on the way to the park, partly because of lovely MI signage, but also because I was there SO early that there were no cars with the tell-tale bikes attached for me to follow. I ended up driving 5 or 6 miles out of my way before I turned around. Ended up at the park around 7AM, and was one of the first ones there.

Picked up my packet, and got my stuff racked. There were over 700 racers among the three events, so they had the racks assigned by number. My rack was one back from the bike in/out, and I was the third one in. NICE RACK PLACEMENT!

Met up with rkreuser, and met a bunch of his friends from the area. Saw nliedel and some of her family, and finally mitrigirl and trixie.

Hit the "real" bathrooms twice before the race. Should have had more available to eat / drink.
Event warmup:

Didn't do a run or bike warm-up. Had a clif bar--part during the wait, and part about 30 minutes before my wave start. About 10 minutes before I went into the water and did some quick warmups, maybe 50m worth. The water was lovely. Then I just stood around waiting for them to start. The Oly waves started first, then the 2 sprint men's waves, then me.
Swim
  • 11m 25s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

**OFFICIAL TIME IS IN**
I decided to skip the wetsuit for such a short race. I figured that the time I might save by wearing it I'd lose in taking it off.

While it wasn't significantly faster than my other races, this swim felt smooth. I breathed ever second stroke for the first little bit. I free-styled the entire swim.

I had a hard time drafting, as everyone was either way too fast for me to stick to, or too slow to draft off of, and I'm pretty sure I kicked one poor guy in the head. Sighting and breathing were well done in this swim, I think, and I'm happy with how I felt. I think I was still over-rotating a bit, but not nearly as much as I did before.
What would you do differently?:

I need to work on building short sprint endurance. I'd like to be able to go all out on the swim at a race of this length. At masters swim, I tend to swim one speed, so it's something I need to focus on in the future.

I'm happy with the decision to go without the wetsuit as well.

By comparison:
FIRST TRI: 13:08
TODAY: 11:25
GOAL: 12:30 (stretch goal)
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

**OFFICIAL TIME IS IN**
I think I hit the lap button on my watch when I hit the timing mats, but I'm not sure.

This seemed like a really quick transition. There was a good length run up from the beach, but it was on thick, soft grass until you got to the transition area. I had to run all the way through the TA to get to my rack. My goggles and cap were already off, so I put on my sunglasses and my helmet, strapped on my shoes, unracked the bike, and off I went.

Everything felt smooth, and I'm not sure what I could have done (other than run faster from the swim) to make this quicker.
Bike
  • 42m 45s
  • 12.64 miles
  • 17.74 mile/hr
Comments:

**OFFICIAL TIME IS IN**
I think I like loop courses. It eliminates that unknown feeling. I really wanted to make my goal time on the bike. I watched my average speed alot more than cadence this time. It got pretty low on the two larger hills (11 mph), but I pushed harder the second time. It was a busy course. Sprint did two loops, Oly did four, so there were a lot of faster people always passing. This is a beginner/casual tri-er race, so there were a lot of hybrid/MTBs.

I did back & forth with a couple guys over the second loop. I was much faster on the downhills, and on the occasional uphill immediately preceded by a downhill. Any climbing, they passed me right back. It was kinda fun.

Thanks to the super-fast guy with the aero helmet for using the spare breath to tell me I was doing great. I appreciated it immensely.

Only got up to 30 mph on the downhills, I should have been able to do better than that. I also need to continue to build climbing endurance. Most importantly, I have got to a) find a sports drink I can stomach and b) get a hydration system that will allow me to realistically drink as much as I need to. I think I suffered on the run, in part because I did not get enough (any) calories in on the bike.

By comparison:
FIRST TRI: 47:42
TODAY: 42:45
GOAL: 43:00 (reasonable goal)
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

**OFFICIAL TIME IS IN**
I didn't hit the lap button until I was at my rack, so this is off a little too.

Again, this seemed really smooth and quick. I racked my bike and dumped the helmet. Popped off the bike shoes, one sock on, one shoe on, next sock on, next shoe on, grab race belt, take swig of sports drink, walk through TA (long), and start running and run in/out. I walked because I was hoping to run the entire run portion, to make one of my goals, but I knew I needed to bring my heart rate down before I started running.

Other than running through transition (and remembering to bring a run hat), I'm not sure that I could make this faster without skipping the socks (which is just not going to happen).
Run
  • 32m 5s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

**OFFICIAL TIME IS IN**
They actually had cold water on the run. This is the first event I've ever been at (other than the 10k in February ;) ) that has had cold water. Unfortunately they didn't provide any Gatorade-like substance. I think this had an impact on me.

Right out of the TA, I started chatting with another girl in my age group, and it helped me to ignore the tight calves. We ran together for about 3/4 of the first mile, at which point she took off. I ran to the first water station (approx. mile 1) and walked the station to drink all of the cold water.

I then ran for 9 minutes, and walked 1 minute (I suck!). I ran 9 more minutes, and walked 1 minute. During the run segment I hit the turnaround, and shortly after saw nliedel, and she was looking good! A little bit later I hit the mile 1 water station (which I marked as the end of mile 2 on my watch) and I walked it to drink the cool nectar. I ran the rest of the way in. I didn't have as much of a finishing kick as I've had in other races, which is GOOD, because it means I did a better job of pacing this time.

Other than run the whole thing (ARGH!) I just need to continue to build my running endurance. I do think that upping my running distance to 9 miles before this race helped with the fatigue. I think in order to be successful, I need to build to a continual run of 90 minutes. I'll work on this in the off-season. I REALLY want to be able to maintain sub-10s for the run.

By comparison:
FIRST TRI: 39:19
TODAY: 32:05
GOAL: 33:00 (amazing goal)
Post race
Warm down:

Ran through the chute, and the volunteer took my chip, and I was handed a finishers medal, and a cold towel (aaahhhh those always feel so good).

While they had cold water, they had no cups. I drank some from my hand, and then went in search of rkreuser and mitrigirl. I couldn't find them, so I went back to the food tent. By then they had found the cups. I got a glass of water, a couple slices of pizza, and some other junk. I really wish they'd had Gatorade, or pop or something. Saw Caroline in line.

Sat down and ate. Went and collected my stuff, and got it packed in the truck. (While I was doing so, two complete strangers approached me asking how my race went. I think they may have been hitting on me. OR, thought I was special because I'm sponsored!!) Went back in search of people. Saw nliedel, et al. Saw kimta (SORRY KIM, FORGOT ABOUT YOU. MY BRAIN IS FRIED) and finally found rkreuser, mitrigirl and trixie. Sat around shooting the breeze until I finally had to get on my way home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I should have eaten more calories in the morning. I should give up on the Accelerade, and go with Gatorade that I'll actually drink. I need to suck it up and get some kind of hydration system. I need to learn to use GUs.

Other than that, nothing ;) Seriously, though. For my first season of triathlons, I am DAMN proud of the improvements I've made. One year ago, I was a couch potato that couldn't ride my bike for 10 minutes without being tired, and couldn't run 10 minutes. I'm amazing!

By comparison:
FIRST TRI: 1:45:40
TODAY: 1:30:01 (while splits are un-official, this is official time)
GOAL: 1:32:15 (stretch goal)

Event comments:

The course was well-laid out, and I thought the organization was well done. I think they need to have a sports drink available, and a little better selection of post-race food (not always pizza). If I had the opportunity, I think I would likely do this race again.

Last updated: 2005-08-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:25 | 500 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/29
Overall: 148/350
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Just a straight out and back course. Somewhat weedy in a couple areas, but the multiple waves (probably 600+ people) before me had chopped most of it up.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:19
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:42:45 | 12.64 miles | 17.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/29
Overall: 229/350
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Two-lap course with rolling hills--two larger hills with corresponding downhills. Pretty windy in some sections (my helmet whistles when it's windy (or I'm going REALLY fast ;) )
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:05 | 03.1 miles | 10m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/29
Overall: 275/350
Performance: Average
Only mile 1 was marked, but since it was an out-and-back I guesstimated where mile 2 was. Something is wonky though, because even though I walked, the times shouldn't be as far off: Mile 1: 9:29 Mile 2: 13:23 Mile 3: 9:33
Course: out and back, first and last 100 meters on grass, all else pavement, very nice.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-09-11 8:38 PM

User image

Expert
St. Thomas, ON
Subject: Stonycreek Triathlon
I am SO happy with my race today. It was alot of fun meeting up with rkreuser, kimta, nliedel + family, mitrigirl, trixie, and all of Rick's friends!

Edited by Rennick 2005-09-11 8:40 PM

2005-09-12 7:56 AM
in reply to: #244342

Veteran
Michigan
Subject: RE: Stonycreek Triathlon
Great race Jean! And it was great to hang out with you and the other BTers!
2005-09-12 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tokyo, Japan
Hey Jean, what an AMAZING race.  You did SO well.  It's been great watching you progress this season and to finish with a race that proves it is great.  I hope you're feeling fired up for next season already!!
2005-09-12 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

I'm amazing! 

Yes...you certainly are. 

You blasted your goals.    What a great race.  As for finding Rick.....too bad you didn't have a beer to hold up in the air.  I hear that he can smell them a mile away. 

Seriouly though...what a great performance.  You met or exceeded ALL your race goals.  13/29....Damn girl.  That's awesome!  Congrats Jean on your awesome race!  We're so proud of you!!!

Edited by jkbostic 2005-09-12 12:44 PM
2005-09-12 1:02 PM

Great race! Congratulations for beating your goal!! I did Oly race (3rd AG finish!). The bike was more hillier than I expected. But overall the race was well organized. Yep I agree that they could improve on the food selections. Glad to hear you had a great race!!
2005-09-12 1:19 PM
in reply to: #244959

User image

Expert
St. Thomas, ON
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I had alot of fun this season, and while I'm looking forward to focusing on running (and swimming), I've got alot more confidence going into St. A's in April.

2005-09-12 10:27 PM

User image

Veteran
metro Detroit, MI

Check out the PowerBar Endurance drink. That is what I use, it does not cost that much, tastes good, and does not do weird things in my stomach. They also make a recovery drink as well.
2005-09-12 10:31 PM
in reply to: #245528

User image

Expert
St. Thomas, ON

Thanks for the tip, Lex. I'll definitely check that brand out. Any flavour recommendations?

2005-09-13 5:56 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
incredible job!! damn close to one amazing goal, sub a reasonable goal, and SHATTERED an amazing goal, for a 5k record. damn, damn, nice job!!
congrats!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonycreek Triathlon Rss Feed