General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Visiting New Orleans! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-13 11:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Subject: Visiting New Orleans!

Hi! I'm headed to NO this Wednesday and need to get some running in and I hate the treadmill with a passion. I will be staying at the Marriott on Canal Street and was wondering if it was safe to run in the area? From Google maps, there looks to be a path & park that runs along the canal. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2011-08-14 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3642625

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Visiting New Orleans!

I'm not sure what "canal" you're talking about, there is no longer a canal on Canal Street. There is a park and path along the river at Woldenberg Park, nice for strolling but a little short for running.

My favorite place to run in New Orleans is from the French Quarter to Audubon Park along street car tracks on St. Charles Avenue, about six miles each way if you include the jogging path at Audubon. If you wanted a shorter route just ride the streetcar out on St. Charles until you lop of the distance you don't want to run.

New Orleans is a typical modern urban area. As such there are places you can go where you are safe, places where you are at risk, and places I wouldn't go with an armed band on a dare. I would imagine for a single young lady those places are fewer than they would be for a grizzled old bear. Be careful, stay in crowds, check with your hotel concierge and stay safe.

If you have any more questions or need specific tips, post them here or PM me

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Visiting New Orleans! Rss Feed