General Discussion Triathlon Talk » return to running after injury - run/walk questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-14 7:51 AM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: return to running after injury - run/walk questions

The tendonitis in my foot has finally calmed down. Yippee!! I have had 3 whole days in a row waking up with no pain in my foot . Doc says I can go back to running this week. Now I don't know where to start. In the past when I have been laid off from injury I just start back with a 3 mile run and build from there. I don't think is the best course of action for me this time (probably never was).

Here is the quick timeline/history: been running for 20 years. Only lay offs are for injuries. This time my specific training was for a HIM on June 19. While waiting for my tendon to heal I was aqua jogging 2 or 3 times a week. So I've been off the pavement/trail for almost 2 months. I continued to cycle and swim during this time.

I have a read about a conservative approach of running 1 mile a day. Can I combine that with a walk? My favorite trail is a 2.5 miles long. I was thinking about walking a warm up, running the mile, then walking a cool down. Does that sound conservative enough?

I guess my issue is running 1 mile does not seem like much of a workout. I guess I could aqua jog for a while then get out and run the mile.

What methods did you use coming back from injury?

2011-08-14 8:21 AM
in reply to: #3642717

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: return to running after injury - run/walk questions

Unlike you, I don't have a really long history of running, but have been off running for the last six weeks. I found a conservative walk/run plan to get me back (hopefully) to where I want to be (I too was training for a HIM and have run stand alone half marathons in the past). The plan I followed was a 7 week plan - the first day was 5 min run, 5 min walk, 5 min run, 5 min walk, two days of rest, 7 min run, 2 min walk, 7 min run, 2 min walk, two days rest, gradually increasing until week four was 25 - 40 minutes run 5 out of 7 days. After week 4, I can start to add speed work back in. So far - it's worked for me.

Best of luck - one thing I would strongly recommend is that if it starts hurting, stop running immediately, walk back to the start and ice - otherwise you might go back to the beginning :-(.

2011-08-14 8:31 AM

User image

Bronze member
I like that plan! My brain says to take it easy but I know that it will shut off when I'm on the road again. I HAVE to have a plan.
2011-08-14 9:13 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I missed the second half of last year with an Achilles injury.  When I was able to start training again early this year I started out walking a couple miles at a time.  I then progressed to doing a conservative Galloway run/walk, running for one minute and then walking for a minute for 30-45 minutes total.  I had some aches and pains from the long layoff, but was being careful to make sure that my Achilles was feeling OK.  Once I was confident my Achilles was going to hold up, I started to increase my run/walk ratio and increase my distance.  I usually end every run with a 1/2 mile walk to cool down and stretch.

Good luck,
Mark

2011-08-14 11:15 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Coming back from aqua-running I simply moved one 'run' a week from the pool to the road, beginning with the shortest ones.  After a month or so I was completely back on the road.
2011-08-14 2:20 PM

User image

Bronze member
Good tips, thanks everyone!

2011-08-14 3:21 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

This year coming back from injuries plural.  I started with walking 2 miles... then walking 4 miles, walking 5 days a week (week 1).

Week 2 was walk 1 mile jog 1 minute, walk 4 minutes jog 1 minute jog 4 mintes... 4 miles. (Week 3) walk 1 mile, jog 2 minutes walk 3 minutes.  Week 4, walk 1/2 mile jog 4 minutes walk 2 minutes and end of week 4 minutes jog 1 minute walk.  Week 5 easy continues jog 4 miles 5x per week and then built from there. 

Some of this is based on feel, but starting with all walk. moving to warmup with more walk than jog and then more jog then walk and then eventually easier jog and then later building back the speed, hills last.     

2011-08-14 4:16 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Yes, return with run walk.  I had close to 10 months off for a torn gastrocs....started with track  work 1/4 mile walk then jog: walk by 1/4 lap.  Seemed to take forever to rebuild the run butworth it.  Finally up to 4 miles slowly.

If your lay off was shorter you may be able to do by minutes  like the Galloway plans.  Key is listening to your feet and not pushing yourself when you want to do more.

2011-08-14 8:22 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

Depends on how long of a layoff...

That being said, I usually start with 1 min. run/4 minutes walk, for a total of 25-30 minutes. Each week or two, I add a minute of run and lose a minute of walk.

2011-08-14 8:31 PM

Veteran
I have been recovering from the same thing, I have tendonitis down my left leg and into my foot. My PT said I could start running when going up and down stairs no longer hurt.  She had me start with a .25 mile walk/1mile run/.25 mile walk.  As long as I had no issues I could add .5 mile to  the run each week.  I felt the same way a 1 mile run is not much of a workout.  I am finally up to 5k again, a far cry from the 13.1 I was running.  The milage build up is going slow, but I would rather take it slow than injure my leg again.
2011-08-14 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3643371

User image

Bronze member

nicklasmom - 2011-08-14 8:31 PM I have been recovering from the same thing, I have tendonitis down my left leg and into my foot. My PT said I could start running when going up and down stairs no longer hurt.  She had me start with a .25 mile walk/1mile run/.25 mile walk.  As long as I had no issues I could add .5 mile to  the run each week.  I felt the same way a 1 mile run is not much of a workout.  I am finally up to 5k again, a far cry from the 13.1 I was running.  The milage build up is going slow, but I would rather take it slow than injure my leg again.

I don't even care about building mileage for now. In the 20 years I've been running my body has NEVER accepted training for longer distances. I always wind up with an injury. Is your tendonitis on the inside of your foot or outside? Mine was directly above my arch in that tendon that catches all the collapse and flex of your foot. Just curious .

2011-08-14 8:49 PM

User image

Bronze member

Ok - so I ran this evening. I tried really hard, don't think I did too much. I felt really good and nothing hurt so fingers crossed.

I did a 6 min walk to warm up. Then 6 min running, 3 or 4 walk, 6 min run, etc for a total of 31 min. Then went to my MIL's pool and did some aqua jogging while my daughter swam to keep the tendon from tightening up.

So far so good. I iced and have it in a compression wrap just because I'm paranoid. I won't know until I start walking around in the morning.

I was so very happy to be running again. I felt like I was floating. One thing about being injured, you realize how much you love this stuff.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply everyone!

2011-08-14 9:06 PM
in reply to: #3643375

Veteran
 It started on the outside of my left foot, and because I thought I could just run through the pain it now runs up the outside of my leg to my knee.  This all started in March, but I waited weeks  to do anything about it.  I finally went to the Dr when I could hardly walk up and down the stairs in my house.  I am trying to build milage because I was supposed to do a HM in October, but I am afraid if I push it too hard I won't even be able to toe the line on race day. 
2011-08-14 9:18 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
trigal38 - 2011-08-14 7:51 AM

The tendonitis in my foot has finally calmed down. Yippee!! I have had 3 whole days in a row waking up with no pain in my foot . Doc says I can go back to running this week. Now I don't know where to start. In the past when I have been laid off from injury I just start back with a 3 mile run and build from there. I don't think is the best course of action for me this time (probably never was).

Here is the quick timeline/history: been running for 20 years. Only lay offs are for injuries. This time my specific training was for a HIM on June 19. While waiting for my tendon to heal I was aqua jogging 2 or 3 times a week. So I've been off the pavement/trail for almost 2 months. I continued to cycle and swim during this time.

I have a read about a conservative approach of running 1 mile a day. Can I combine that with a walk? My favorite trail is a 2.5 miles long. I was thinking about walking a warm up, running the mile, then walking a cool down. Does that sound conservative enough?

I guess my issue is running 1 mile does not seem like much of a workout. I guess I could aqua jog for a while then get out and run the mile.

What methods did you use coming back from injury?

If you were my client, I would probably have you start with 2-3 miles... maybe 3 times a week... with a walk/run interval. Start with more walking than running (3:00 min walk, 2 min run- in zone 2). Then I would work up on the miles and work down on the walk/run interval- until you were running the entire time.

Take it easy and hopefully you will stay injury free!

2011-08-16 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I missed most of the spring w/ a foot injury. When I was finally able to 'run' again (mid may) I went back and did the first 4 weeks of the C25K plan, and it worked great for me. I'm back to running for real again, and planning a HM for October. Good luck!!
2011-08-16 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
I was out for 2 months with an injury. Didn't have access to a pool deep enough to aqua jog, but I swam, rowed, and biked (for the second month) regularly. The plan my PT gave me was run one minute, walk 5 for 30 minutes. Two days later, run 2/walk 4 for 30 minutes, two days later run 3/walk 3, etc., until I could jog for 30 minutes. Then I slowly built from there, two 30 minute runs with my weekly "long" run being 5-10 minutes longer.

2011-08-16 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3642734

User image

Elite
far northern CA
itsallrelative_Maine - 2011-08-14 6:21 AM

Unlike you, I don't have a really long history of running, but have been off running for the last six weeks. I found a conservative walk/run plan to get me back (hopefully) to where I want to be (I too was training for a HIM and have run stand alone half marathons in the past). The plan I followed was a 7 week plan - the first day was 5 min run, 5 min walk, 5 min run, 5 min walk, two days of rest, 7 min run, 2 min walk, 7 min run, 2 min walk, two days rest, gradually increasing until week four was 25 - 40 minutes run 5 out of 7 days. After week 4, I can start to add speed work back in. So far - it's worked for me.

Best of luck - one thing I would strongly recommend is that if it starts hurting, stop running immediately, walk back to the start and ice - otherwise you might go back to the beginning :-(.

Just like the OP, I have a very long running history.  I did something very similar to Maine's plan after I had my baby.  It worked! Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » return to running after injury - run/walk questions Rss Feed