General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why Ironman vs other distances? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-08-30 4:46 PM
in reply to: #3653120

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: Why Ironman vs other distances?
Well for me there were always two challenges. To go longer than I ever had before and then to go faster. I don't find either one to be exclusive of the other they are just different ends of the spectrum. I was never very fast, but I could keep going and going so I set my goals initially on going longer. So I went from a sprint, to an Olympic, to a HIM, and finally to an Ironman over the course of 3+ seasons. But as I continued to build my base and fitness to prepare for an Ironman, my speed at the shorter distances certainly increased as well.
Heck I race 5Ks now and win my age group frequently.

But the longer races, to me are a lot more work and feel like a bigger accomplishment to me when I hit the finish line. Of course I don't know what a 2:00 Olympic would feel like, I could imagine that would be an amazing feeling and accomplishment as well, but I don't think thats in the cards for me.

2011-08-30 9:56 PM

User image

Master

Like the other guy said...because it is there.

In today's world of overnight packages and instant gratification, I like the long term focus IM training requires.

If nothing else, I make fewer impulse buys that I used to, for food, gadgets and toys. That, and staying healthy, are what keep me motivated!

2011-08-31 4:12 PM

User image

Regular
Here

Why climb Mt. Everest when you can climb lower elevation mountains faster?

Mt. Everest not because it is the tallest, but because of its aura, prestige and common point of reference.  The Ironman challenge calls for you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why Ironman vs other distances? Rss Feed  

of 2