MultiSport Canada
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 8s
Overall Rank = 222/362
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 29/37
Pre-race routine:

I got to the race early and set up my area. I was the third bike on the section that I chose, and racked right beside a pole so that I would only have bikes on one side. This gave me a bit of extra room for my equipment. I put the bike in the correct starting gear and racked my bike by the brakes, with bike shoes on one side of it and run gear on the other. It worked well, and I instinctively knew where things were.

I did not do a good inspection of where I would be coming in from on the bike, which I should do next time.
Event warmup:

No warm-up. I thought about going for a quick ride, but didn't want to lose the spot I had for my bike. I opted to put the suit on a bit early and head to the water to test out the wetsuit and the goggles.
Swim
  • 22m 56s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

My swim sucked. I had swam once prior to this race - 1500m done about 200-300 meters at a time, so this continual distance was a little unknown.

I started off on the outside of the pack, and was quickly with the last few people in my wave. I started The swim with FS but then switched to a combination of FS, back and breast. I could have gone longer in my FS, but switched to back probably our of comfort. 1st open water swim, and first time swimming in a wetsuit. I squeezed into Nic's QR sleeveless.

Although I was among the last few from my wave, I didn't get caught by too many people from the wave behind me.

What would you do differently?:

Swim more, and trust my ability to swim FS. I need to just get in the pool and put in some mileage, then bring this mileage outside in the spring.
Transition 1
  • 03m 59s
Comments:

I was one of the only bikes left in transition at the end of the swim, and let's just say that T1 wasn't the best debut. I could not get the freaking wetsuit off to save my live!!! It took a couple minutes of sitting on the ground and swearing at it before it finally came off the ankles.

Once the suit was done, I jogged out to the mount line and did a flying leap onto the bike. That part was good.

Hopefully I'll have a new wetsuit before the next event, and will have lots of proactice getting out of it. The legs on Nic's suit gave me huge problems...too tight to get over the ankles.
Bike
  • 37m 5s
  • 20 kms
  • 32.36 km/hr
Comments:

The bike is definitely my strong point, and I wish this course was a lot longer. I passed people the entire race, and was able to come out of corners with more speed than most others. I've figured out that mountain bikers have far better bike handling skills than roadies or triathletes.

Nutrition was good, and I was able to drink and fill the aero bottle with minimal interruption. I stayed in the aero bars for the majority of the race, coming out only for the hills. I took the hills easy, not wanting to expend too much energy. Overall, I rode well, but not as fast as I could have - thinking of Brandon Parker and his reputation for pushing too hard on the bike then blowing up one the run. I didn't want to embarass myself for the run by having nothing left.

I gave the bike and run too much respect. I thought that at some point in the race I would run out of energy if I pushed the bike too hard, so rode strong but not nearly as hard as I could have.
I also took it easy for the last half km into the transition, spinning easily in preparation for the run. I should have gone all out on the bike!
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

Great entry into transition. I flew off my bike and hit the ground running, and got some "wow's" out of the spectators. Again, the mountain biker bike handling skills came in handy.

Unfortunately, they had moved the dismount line back and I unknowingly had entered into the wrong section of the transition zone. I slowed down to look around a bit, then realized that my bike stand was one section over, and casually jogged for it. It looked like I had made up good ground, as the rack was only partly full.

I made a pretty quick change, and exited the transition for the run. The transition time includes a 100m run over the sand to get to the timing mats, so it's a little bit of a false time.

I would do a walk through of the transition zone prior to my event, so that I know exactly where I'll be coming in from and where my rack is from that location. I have to mention that there were NO signage in the transition...poorly run race.
Run
  • 27m 17s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 28s  min/km
Comments:

It was my first time runnign off a bike, so I didn't really know what to expect. I thought that, like the bike, it would take a while for me to get my legs and I was right.

I started off with short paces, and a high cadence. It didn't feel fast, but I think I got faster throughout the 5km's. I walked for about 15sec through the first three aid stations, but decided to skip the 4th and head straight to the finish.

I watched my pace throughout the run, and decided I was conserving too much once my legs had warmed up. It became apparent that I could finish in under a 5:30 km, so that gave me a bit of a goal for the last few km's.

The final stretch was back along the boardwalk. I had been pacing right behind the same guy most of the run, and when I decided to crank up the pace I went by him no problem. I should have run a faster pace as soon as my legs felt ok. I finished a lot faster than I started, and recovered right away in the finish. I actually had lots left.

Today I watched my HR throughout the race, and noticed that when it was under 180bpm I got into a zone that I could have maintained for a lot longer than jut 5km.

As with the bike, I gave this event too much respect. I thought that if I pushed myself too hard on the bike or on the run, that I would have nothing left at the end. By the time I crossed the finish line, I still had a lot left. I definitely should have gone for it a bit more on the bike, and picked up the pace earlier on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

None. I crossed the finish, and felt good right away. I met Nic and some of the others from the Tri Club, and talked then cheered for the rest. When we were down to the last few people on course, I ran out to meet Julian and ran with him for the last 1/2km to the finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Obviously the swim played a major part of the race, because it sucked. T1 could have been a couple of minutes faster too, if I had been able to get that wetsuit off quickly.

The thing that I learned the most was that triathlon is all about tactics...I didn't go hard enough on the bike or the run, thinking that it would eventually catch up with me. It didn't, and when I crossed the finish line I still had a fair amount of energy left.

Next time, push the bike harder, and go for it on the run!

Event comments:

A poorly organized event overall. It started almost a half hour late, had little to no signage (especially in the transition area), and very few volunteers in transition, and on the run portion. There were a few times that I had to wonder a bit which way to go. The transition area had no fencing, so it was difficult to make out the run exits. Recovery food was also fairly lame.

Overall, this event was not nearly as well run as the Subaru Series events are. They have the whole event look and feel, where this is a bit of a scaled down, budget version. Considerring that it is one of two major series' in Ontario, it was pretty disappointing.

Last updated: 2005-09-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:56 | 750 meters | 03m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 35/37
Overall: 297/362
Performance: Bad
Suit: Quintana Roo Ultrajohn (Nic's)
Course: The course was an out, across, and back format. The start buoys, however, were maybe 200m off shore in knee deep water. The timer started from the first buoy, bub didn't stop until the transition area. SO, the time really isn't that accurate...it represents a 750m swim PLUS perhaps two minutes of wading to shore and running up to the transition area. Regardless, the swim portion is just not my forte. Looks like I'll actually have to hit the pool this winter...crap.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:59
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:05 | 20 kms | 32.36 km/hr
Age Group: 16/37
Overall: 76/362
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Pretty flat T-shaped course, with a slight breeze. I got up to speed quickly and was able to start passing people right away. It took about 10km before my legs felt normal, though they were ok in the initial stages. I settled into a decent pace, and kept passing people throughout the entire ride. I wish it was longer.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:17 | 05 kms | 05m 28s  min/km
Age Group: 30/37
Overall: 208/362
Performance: Average
Course: The run was a flat out and back along the boardwalk, with a couple of short deep sand sections to go through...these were draining. No shade, and water/e-load stations every KM.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No