General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help!!! 2 Weeks until First Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-28 9:51 PM

New user
Indio, CA
Subject: Help!!! 2 Weeks until First Tri

I am two weeks out from my first triathlon, which will be a sprint.  I am watching beginner videos, etc ,etc.

What are you last minutes tips to a first timer with 2 weeks left in regards to preparation?

2011-08-28 10:05 PM
in reply to: #3663253

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Help!!! 2 Weeks until First Tri

Relax and have fun!!!! Don't change anything the day of the race, use the same clothes and food that you have trained with.

2011-08-28 10:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Puyallup, WA

Relax and have fun. Brag to all your friends and family when your done

Good luck and hope you get as hooked as I am

2011-08-28 11:37 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
Keep up your normal training this week and then take it a bit easy next week.  Don't sweat all the workouts you've missed and try to cram them all in now.

If you can, check out the race venue.  Check out the area where transition will be.  Drive or ride the bike and run courses.

Think your way through transitions--mentally walk through all of the steps to get from swim to bike and from bike to run.  Don't worry about getting too fancy in your first race with shoes on pedals, socks or no socks, etc.--keep it basic and learn for the next one.

Night before the race lay out all your stuff the way you would for transition and then pack it into your bag.  That way you probably won't forget anything.

Race day, try to get there plenty early so you can set up your spot and have time to use the bathroom and scope out the transition area.  Find landmarks in the transition area, see where the swim-in, bike-out, bike-in and run-out will be.  Walk the approach to your spot from swim-in and bike-in.

Most importantly, have fun and enjoy the experience!
2011-08-29 12:35 AM

User image

Pro

go out a little easy for the 1st half of each of the legs.  It's a lot more fun to have energy left towards the end of a swim/bike/run, than it is to go out too hard and fade.  

Hopefully you have some kind of suitable clothing for the event.  Tri-shorts or jammers (the swimming kind) are very helpful.  Trying to change clothing when wet and sweaty is far more difficult than it seems.  So be prepared to swim, bike and run in the same clothing.

Get a race belt.  It's one of those straps that you pin your running number on.  You just grab it at T2 and put in on as you're running.  

Ride with a spare tube and CO2 or Frame pump.  It's far better to finish DFL (Dead last) than to DNF (did not finish).  

Keep on moving forward.  As fast as is feasible.  

Don't need to worry much about nutrition (gu's, energy drinks) on a sprint tri, but definitely don't forget to hydrate.  Bring a full water bottle (perhaps with some sports drink mixed in) on the bike and finish it.

It's one big fitness party.  They're a hoot.

2011-08-29 4:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Central France

Just finished my first tri yesterday and these would be my 'words of wisdom':

1. X2 "go out a little easy for the 1st half of each of the legs.  It's a lot more fun to have energy left towards the end of a swim/bike/run, than it is to go out too hard and fade."

2. Practice transitioning (dry run and mentally) especially T1. While I had no trouble finding my bike, my brain was pretty foggy after the swim so T1 took me about 60-90 seconds longer than planned.

3. If it's an OWS try to come up with some relaxation strategies if you feel panicky. The swim is where I thought I would be the most comfortable however the mass start almost did me in. I decided to veer slightly off course, brought my pace down and did some breathing exercises while still swimming to calm myself down. 

4. Expect the unexpected. My unexpected was the swim. One of the other newbies' unexpected was riding on a road with traffic (he thought the road would be closed to traffic).

5. Run YOUR race. Remember your goals, why you are there, where you've been ...

6. Have fun. Be proud of yourself.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help!!! 2 Weeks until First Tri Rss Feed