General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Surprised by a swim speed increase with 'head-forward' position Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-01 6:47 PM

Master
Subject: Surprised by a swim speed increase with 'head-forward' position

Not a good swimmer here admittedly, but when I do get time to go to the pool, I try to work pretty hard, usually for an hour. Have also been out of the pool for nearly a year now due to work and a move, but am getting back into it as of the past 2 months.

As of late, I've been hovering around the 1:55/100 SCY pace for most of my hour workout. I can drop it down to 1:41 in a hard sprint in the very early phase of my workouts, but after 20 minutes, 1:55 is pretty much where I settle in for the long haul, with small variation for distance.

I've read a lot about keeping the 'head down' so the legs can 'stay up' approach, and have been swimming face-down in the pool for the past year. In fact, I probably bury my head more than natural just to make sure I'm as flat as I can get, and I think I've gotten pretty good at keeping my legs up - a pull buoy does nothing for me (my legs are just as high without one).

Today I revisited changing my head position in the water - from burying my entire head face down to face-forward, and keeping the top of my head out of the water.  I've done this before a year ago with no significant speed change, and wasn't expecting one today, but for sure, there was a difference today.

Head-down, most of head underwater: 1:53-1:57/100 SCY

Head-forward, top of head out of water: 1:50-1:54/100 SCY

A gain of about 3sec/100 SCY! I was determined to show that this was an artifact from luck, so I did 12 x 100 with 20 sec rest, alternating head-down vs head-forward, and alternating breathing left and breathing right as well. Every single set I was faster in the head forward position.

I then did a 100 SCY final sprint at the very end of the hour workout:

Head-down: 1:45/100 SCY

Head-forward: 1:43/100 SCY. And this was done after the head-down sprint, and actually felt signficantly easier to maintain this speed.

So to my surprise, I'm getting a 2 sec/100 SCY advantage by not burying my head and keeping the eyes forward, and even thinking about keeping my head 'up' such that my upper forehead stays out of the water in the forward position.  

Again, I'm not a good swimmer, and have limited experience, so am not attempting to generalize my results as a 'you should do it too' situation, but I was surprised as it seems counter to the traditional beginning coaching concept of keeping the head down and deep in the water (which I still TOTALLY agree with for beginners, as the dropped legs is the biggest mistake I see in the pool day in and day out.) I suspect that I've gotten to the point where my balance is good enough where my legs don't drop with the face-forward position, and thus I create less drag with my head.  

Any comments/feedback appreciated.

Edited by agarose2000 2011-09-01 6:49 PM

2011-09-02 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3669952

Master
, California
Subject: RE: Surprised by a swim speed increase with 'head-forward' position

I suspect that I've gotten to the point where my balance is good enough where my legs don't drop with the face-forward position, and thus I create less drag with my head. 

I suspect that when you keep your face down, you're doing something wrong -- like lifting your head too high when you breathe.

But that's just a gut feeling since I haven't watched a video.

2011-09-02 5:17 PM

Extreme Veteran

I experienced the same thing and discovered, as the previous poster mentioned, that there was something wrong with my body position in the "face down" position.

I suspect that I was hunching my back to get my head down, effectively lifting my torso.  Like the seesaw, I'm guessing my legs went down.

When I switch to the eyes forward position I feel like I'm pushing more with my chest so my whole torso pushes down, causing my legs to float up.  It's a minute difference but it seems to work for me.

2011-09-02 5:24 PM

Extreme Veteran
had a swim analysis done earlier this year, and that was one of the things he had me change.. First was "reaching" further forward, i was entering my hand in close to my head resulting in my shoulder/bicep pushing a bunch of water forward creating resistance.. The next was the "Jay Leno Chin" as he called it, basically pushing your chin forward resulting in your head being higher in the water. Last was not lifting my head to breathe but turning to breathe, it made my overall swim motion much smoother.. i'll see if I can dig up the videos and show the difference.. I'm not great, but it's helped me quite a bit.
2011-09-02 5:35 PM

Master

I don't have video, so all I can do is conjecture at why it's faster, and of course that goes with a big grain of salt.  

My theory, at least from what it feels like - with the 'head forward' position, I'm creating less drag with my skull. With head-down, my entire head is underwater - I may be overdoing it as posted above, and thus head-forward corrects this. Some of it could also be due to the less movement of the head from deep position to breath, so that would make sense as well.

For all you 'speedy' swimmers, is this part of why all the elite swimmers use this head position? I haven't seen a single video of an elite (or even non-elite fast) swimmer using the head-down position for freestyle - they all look forward-down but not face-down.

2011-09-02 6:03 PM

Master
, California

It's not bad to be looking somewhat forward/down - but the chin should stay tucked in when you're breathing and only turn your head enough to breathe in the trough your momentum is creating.

2011-09-02 6:40 PM

Veteran
Indiana

"Bury your head deep in the water" is only Gospel according to some.

The SwimSmooth gurus believe head position is individual, and everyone should play around with it to "fine tune" their stroke.

Go here and scroll down to #3: http://www.swimsmooth.com/contentious.html

Sounds like this is what you have done. Congratulations!

2011-09-02 6:43 PM
in reply to: #3671414

Master
spudone - 2011-09-02 6:03 PM

It's not bad to be looking somewhat forward/down - but the chin should stay tucked in when you're breathing and only turn your head enough to breathe in the trough your momentum is creating.

This is what I used to do, but in looking at the elite swimmers, they don't seem to do this. I haven't seen any of them actually tuck their chin to near their chest. They all actually seem to be looking fairly forward, and there is no real tuck under their chin. (I used this chin-tuck method, which got my head very low in the water - but  which apparently slows me down.)

2011-09-03 1:31 PM

User image

Interesting.  My initial take on this is that the head up position is improving the breathing part of the stroke.  Whereas the head down position promotes too much and uneven body roll in the breathing cycle. 

I have always beleived in the head down position, but that maybe an artifact from my college swimming days, where during a 50 or 100 yard race, I would breathe only once or twice a lap.  Keeping your head down keeps the water flowing easily over your head and promotes better balance, but it requires more rotation to breathe. 

You have given me a lot to think about,  I think a trip to the pool to do some experimentation is in order.

2011-09-03 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3671440

User image

Melon Presser
agarose2000 - 2011-09-03 8:43 AM

This is what I used to do, but in looking at the elite swimmers, they don't seem to do this. I haven't seen any of them actually tuck their chin to near their chest. They all actually seem to be looking fairly forward, and there is no real tuck under their chin. (I used this chin-tuck method, which got my head very low in the water - but  which apparently slows me down.)

This. The chin-tuck may have worked for you for a while as a means to an end, but it's not supposed to be the end.

The idea is to have your head fairly in line with your spine, but the spine has some natural curvatures, so you'll see variation in the head angle as well--but overall the head is in line with the spine.

2011-09-03 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3671440

User image

Melon Presser
agarose2000 - 2011-09-03 8:43 AM

This. The chin-tuck may have worked for you for a while as a means to an end, but it's not supposed to be the end.

The idea is to have your head fairly in line with your spine, but the spine has some natural curvatures, so you'll see variation in the head angle as well--but overall the head is in line with the spine.

2011-09-03 4:13 PM

User image

Expert
Portland
I noticed the same thing when I made the same change.  It became easier to find and breath in the "pocket" which I think was the biggest help.  I think it has a lot to do with keeping your body higher in the water.  Pushing less water=move faster in the water.
2011-09-03 4:37 PM
in reply to: #3672112

Master

menglo - 2011-09-03 4:13 PM I noticed the same thing when I made the same change.  It became easier to find and breath in the "pocket" which I think was the biggest help.  I think it has a lot to do with keeping your body higher in the water.  Pushing less water=move faster in the water.

I agree with this sensation. I actually think that for me, it's less about the turbulence caused by head movement than the phenomena of being more 'boatlike' and getting my head up out of the water rather than dragging like a lead anchor as I pull through. 

With my head forward and purposely popped up high enough so water's at my forehead (but my legs are still high in the water), I feel a lot more like a boat rather than a submarine. That's probably the best analogy I can come up with - it's a lot easier to row a boat than it is to row a submarine, and that's the exact sensation I'm feeling with my stroke between the two positions.

Will further fine tune this week and see how it goes - thanks for the advice and feedback - just wanted to make sure I wasn't going too far off the deep end in experimentation here.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Surprised by a swim speed increase with 'head-forward' position Rss Feed