General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aquabikers - bike race times vs training times Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-07 10:10 PM

Subject: Aquabikers - bike race times vs training times
I am a newby to aqaubike racing and my bike times in my two races have been about to 1.5 to 2 mph slower than my training times.  My legs feel drained after the swim, even though I am trying yo limit my kicking to save my legs.  Is this a typical difference?

2011-09-07 10:13 PM
in reply to: #3677190

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Aquabikers - bike race times vs training times

When I do aquabikes my bike times are typically faster 1-2 mph on race than on similar terrain in training.

How much swim training are you doing? bike training? How long have you been training? Are you comparing similar terrain and distance for bike portion of race vs. training?

2011-09-07 10:24 PM
in reply to: #3677192

I usually do swimming 2-3 times per week and cycling 2-3 times per week.  I sometimes take a couple days off ( I am 58 yrs. old and seem to need more off time).  Last year I did the bike portion of an olympic triathlon as part of a team (same distance as the aquabikes I have done), and I did about 1 mph faster than in training.  The courses I have done are similar to what I train on (as far as hills), and my training course actually has more turns. 

One point of note - I was really stressed about the 1500m OW swim - I had NO OW swim training prior to my first race and the swim was a disaster.  My second swim went fine, but I was really stressed about it due to the first race.  Maybe that had some impact - I don't know.

P.S. - Kathy G is also my wife's name

2011-09-07 10:29 PM
in reply to: #3677192

Also - I started training in February , but didn't do a lot in late March to early May, but them started up again May to my first aquabike in August, and second on Labor day weekend.  Ussually do about 20 to 30 miles per bike training session, with about three quarters of that time trying to do a time trial speed.  Occassionally I flip that with three fourths easy and one-fourth hard. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aquabikers - bike race times vs training times Rss Feed