General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Floods change plans...need advice. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-09 12:17 PM

Subject: Floods change plans...need advice.

I was scheduled to to a sprint tri tomorrow but was just informed by organizers that the swim portion was canceled because the lake and adjacent area was "flooded out" and is unsafe for swimming... so they've converted it into a duathon (a concurrent duathon was scheduled so now everyone does the duathon)

Well...I'm bummed as I really looked forward to the swim as it is my best stage. Nedless to say the run is my least favorite and worst event....and now more running..ugh. Didn't really train for the additional run distance but will go for it.

I've never done a duathon for the above reasons so and didn't train for it in this manner:

1) How does one approach transitions in these events? (running shoes start, running shoes of bike shoes on, bike shoes off/running shoes on)...I guess people who use threir running shoes all they way may haver better transition times - hopefully once on the bike clipless pedals are faster.

any other duathon transition tips?

2) Effort wise should you do a fast or slow start (only a two mile start run, three mile second run) since the bike will break things up? Didn't train for a 5 mile run (2/3) but will deal with it.

Overall I'm resided to the fact that my overall time will be much slower without the swim and with the additional run... the advantage I had  with the swim is gone and the disadvange I had with the run will now double.

Any last minute advice, suggestions for duathon racing.

2011-09-09 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3679467

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Floods change plans...need advice.
1) Since you are never going to run in biking shoes, the question boils down to do you bike in running shoes. I personally would not. With running shoes, you reduce the efficiency of your rotation. Even with a cage you will lose efficiency as your sole flexes.

2) I've done several sprint duathlons and both of my running efforts (2.5 run, 14.5 bike, 2.5 run) were at something just over 5k effort. It is pretty tough as you are going pretty hard the entire time as it is a sprint.
2011-09-09 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO

Duathlon...

Run, bike, run? I used running shoes for the run and cycle shoes for the bike....did I miss something in the OP question?

Effort: Haul butt on the 1st run and bike and go as hard as you can on the 2nd run...

I was surprise in my last duathlon my second run was nearly as fast as my first. You may feel like you are running slower but you may be running at almost the same speed as the first run.

Good luck

2011-09-09 3:16 PM

User image

Champion
MA
If you have two pairs of running shoes, use one for first run, set up second one nice for second run then you can quickly remove shoes in T1 w/o concern that you be able to put them in T2.
2011-09-09 6:04 PM

User image

Master
Houston
  1. Put on your helmet before the run
  2. Leave your bike shoes clipped in
  3. Grab your bike in T1 and go to the Bike out with your running shoes on.
  4. Pedal with running shoes on top of your bike shoes till you get going
  5. slip off your running shoes and put them in your back cycle jersey pockets, then slip them into your bike shoes.
  6. This should take you to about the half way point... so start to reverse the process and swap back into your running shoes.
  7. Jump off the bike in T2 and head for the run.
  8. Do not remove your helmet.

Optionally, if you want to go hard core, you can simply take the bike with you on both runs and never stop at your rack.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Floods change plans...need advice. Rss Feed