General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer setup question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-12 8:45 AM

User image

Subject: Trainer setup question
Background - I have a KK Road Machine, when I accelerate quickly, I often hear some squeaking. I've tried tightening more, but I still get the squeak when I accelerate. Also when I get over about 21 or so, I get a ton of wobble. I have a trainer wheel and tire, the wheel may be out of true.

Is the vibration just going to happen? Could it be caused by the contact tension being too high? Any advice on what to do, or do I just have to live with it? WOuld truing the wheel help?

2011-09-12 8:48 AM
in reply to: #3682026

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Trainer setup question

I don't think you should expect the wobble. I have ridden thousands of miles on my KK, and I don't get that at all.

I get more tire squeak when starting up if the tension is set a bit too low. I aim to calibrate the tension as KK recommends, such that there's a ~13.8s coast down time from 20mph. That's the tension that is assumed in their speed-to-power curve. At that tension I tend to get a little tire squeak when accelerating from zero, and none otherwise.

2011-09-12 10:55 AM

User image

Put your bike in 39/15 or so
put it on the trainer
Yank up on the rear of the rear wheel.
If it squeaks, tighten 1/2 turn
repeat until no squeak
After that, get on bike and honk down on the pedal and try to get it to squeak.
If it squeaks, tighten about 1/4 turn
After that, it's set. It will squeak occasionally, ignore it.

Wobble is a different story. Are you set up on carpet by any chance? That might do it.

Might want to put a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood under the trainer and see if that helps.

2011-09-12 11:02 AM

User image

Thanks for the replies.
I am not set up on carpet, I am on concrete, in the garage. And I guess I should clarify, the whole trainer isn't wobbling - in fact wobble is probably highly inaccurate. It is more of a dramatic vibration of the roller and flywheel, enough that I can feel it through the bike - it feels almost like riding over pavestones or something with a lot of seams closely spaced. It also seems cadence related, higher speed (likely nearing my current max) and higher cadence around 115-120.
2011-09-12 11:07 AM

User image

Do you leave the bike attached to the trainer? I've found I get a hop in the tire if I leave it on the trainer, where the flywheel dents the tire for a couple days.

That and truing but I can't imagine it could get THAT out of true and still work.

2011-09-12 11:11 AM

User image

I leave it in the trainer, but completely remove tension from the flywheel. There is no tire contact. It just happens to be the easiest place to store the bike as well.

2011-09-20 2:09 PM

User image

Pulling up an old post, but I wanted to share my resolution to the issue. I was travelling last week and wasn't home to ride. Hopped on the trainer last night, felt the wobble at 20 ish looked down and noticed the quick release was "closed" but loose. Apparently I had loosened the skewer installing it on the trainer.

My problem is now fixed and worth noting just in case some other moron comes along in the future with a similar question.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer setup question Rss Feed