General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1ST tri, what to wear and transitions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-15 12:19 PM

Subject: 1ST tri, what to wear and transitions

Im training for my first tri in dec and am curious about how the transitions work and what a noob like me should wear for the event.  Im planning on purchasing a pair of tri specific shorts to wear for the swim section. Should I wear them throughout the rest of the race or during the transition to the bike pull them down and slide on some bike shorts? Its a short distance tri so 750m swim, 12.4 mile ride, 3.1 mile run. Do most average people take a minute to change into something more suited to part of the tri they are on. Last question, before the race does each person set up there equipment at each transition station?

Thanks, darko

2011-09-15 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3688072

User image

Subject: RE: 1ST tri, what to wear and transitions
Get tri short and a compression shirt or tri top.
Wear that set the whole time. Don't try to put on a top onto a wet body, unless you like dancing and amusing everyone watching.

Yes, you set up your transition area prior to the race.

2011-09-15 12:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
....and just to be clear, there is only one transition area(for most races, especially shorter ones). Your bike, gear, and running shoes will all be kept in one small space.
2011-09-15 12:50 PM

ok thanks, I tried finding out about how the transitions worked and had no luck. The month is months away am I just want to make sure I know how everything works during the race. Would I be better off wearing a tri suit compared to just the shorts and a separate top?

2011-09-15 12:59 PM

User image

in a van, down by the river

I"m a beginner too, just did my first this weekend, and I found a lot of value in going to youtube.com and watching various triathlon transitions.  There are many good vids there.

If possible, visit a different tri at some point and observe the transition area (from outside, out of the way).  

may I suggest going to local running / tri shop and buying a book called "your first triathlon" or similar.  Immensely helpful to me.

Lastly, my stress and anxiety level on the whole topic dropped dramatically once I identified a training plan to follow.  There are several here on BT.   Just pick the one that looks best and try to follow it (in general terms, not strict or absolute terms).  Then it's as simple as following a written instruction-- major relief !  Follow the plan and event day will NOT be torture, it will be rewarding.  Wing it on your own, and you'll be stressed and improperly prepared.

Good luck to you, you'll find this site very helpful as well.

2011-09-15 1:11 PM

I'll check out the book. I found a training plan on the site here and have been following it and it seems to be very helpful, even though prior i've ran and biked regularyly so I wont be shocked at the distance. Just need to get used to doing 3 sports in one day. I'll see what youtube has to offer as well.

Thanks for all the info, its greatly appreciated.

2011-09-15 1:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

This is a great book I recommend to everyone doing their first tri. 

http://www.amazon.com/Your-First-Triathlon-Joe-Friel/dp/1931382859/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316110353&sr=1-1

2011-09-15 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3688182

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
ponyup - 2011-09-15 2:12 PM

This is a great book I recommend to everyone doing their first tri. 

http://www.amazon.com/Your-First-Triathlon-Joe-Friel/dp/1931382859/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316110353&sr=1-1

x2- I have the book and read it before my first triathlon and it is a great resource. All you will need for the race is a pair of tri shorts and a shirt or compression shirt. I usually just wear tri shorts and put on a under armour shirt on once I get out of the water. Good luck at your race.

2011-09-15 2:03 PM
in reply to: #3688137

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
doodlespeed - 2011-09-15 1:50 PM

ok thanks, I tried finding out about how the transitions worked and had no luck. The month is months away am I just want to make sure I know how everything works during the race. Would I be better off wearing a tri suit compared to just the shorts and a separate top?

The suit vs. separates question is a personal one. As in, what you like better personally. For me, the shape of my body is better suited (ha!) to a trisuit. Otherwise the top always rides up over my belly, and that's just mean to the spectators. Then again, if you like to visit the potty a lot, a two piece might make life a little easier.
Oh, and from an aesthetic perspective, I really like my trisuit because it doesn't dig in and make me look lumpy. And really, if I'm going to wear spandex in public, its important that I don't look lumpy for my own confidence.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1ST tri, what to wear and transitions Rss Feed