General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Beginner - Coeur dÁlene Ironman 2012 Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-19 2:03 AM

Coeur dálene, and Mexico
Subject: Beginner - Coeur dÁlene Ironman 2012

Hello, 

I saw the Coeur dÁlene a few years ago and wanted to signup the next day... I did signup but got distracted and by the time the date came around I wasn´t thinking about Ironman. I´ve recently changed quite a bit and see this goal as one of the few things I´d really like to accomplish personally.

I´ve signed up again for the race a couple days ago, bought a camelbak, some running shoes, an iphone, swim gear, and am looking at bikes. I have basically no experience, I am an above average swimmer but have never ran significantly or biked, never competed in a long distance race of any sort, and am 6´, 220lbs.

I´ve got 9 months and 5 days until the race, the day after my birthday. I´ve signed up for a gold membership here and am going to go jog / walking in a few hours, next week I am going to check in on a gym where there´s a coach with Ironman experience. I also bought some Ironman ebooks. 

From what I´ve read so far it´s possible. I can dedicate a lot of time and the necessary expense to my training. Look forward to meeting like minds here and maybe on race day in CDA, my brothers family lives there.

2011-09-19 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3691576

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, Wa
Subject: RE: Beginner - Coeur dÁlene Ironman 2012
Welcome to triathlon. You've chosen a great race. If I were you I would recommend trying to a find a shorter race between now and next June to see what the whole thing is all about. While it's not unheard of to have an IM be your first race it's not the best way to do it. Where do you live? A coach is a good start, but make sure you find the right coach. Somebody online that has a proven track record coaching first time Ironman triathletes would be a great place to start. Lastly there is thread on here specifically for ironman Cda. If you go to the race listing on this site you can add Cda to your calendar and start participating in the conversation or just lay back and learn from those who have done it before. This will be my third time in Cda and fourth overall ironman. I have some posts about it on my blog and also some posts about my experience learning about the world of triathlon.
2011-09-19 7:33 PM

Coeur dálene, and Mexico

Thanks for the response. 

I work and live in Mexico most of the time. I have a house rented in Cuernavaca where I looked into gyms and found out that at the Gold´s Gym there are several Ironman competitors, some who have done two or more Ironman races one after the other, don´t know the details.. One trainer who works at the gym as a coach has completed several Ironman races, I hope to talk to him this week. 

I also am in Durango much of the time when there are good ample highways for bike training and running and a reservoir 20 minutes out which would serve well for open water training, at Gold´s in Cuernavaca they have a 50m pool. 

My brother lives in Post Falls, just next to Coeur dAlene, and I stay with him when I am in the States. 

What do you think of my goal though, considering my current unconditioned state, how much of a push is it going to require.. the limits of my psyche, consistent intense effort?

2011-09-19 7:46 PM

User image

Regular

My advice would be to get an experienced triathlon coach right away.  To be honest, it is very very ambitious to go from being a complete non-biker and non-runner to doing an ironman in 9 months.  You need somebody that knows exactly what they are doing - to help you use your time well and keep you from hurting yourself.

Make sure this guy has more credentials then just having done an ironman.  Make sure whoever you go with has an actual degree behind them and has coached numerous other athletes to ironman for many years.

I'm not trying to be a downer; just saying you need help and you need smart help.

2011-09-19 10:47 PM
in reply to: #3692813

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, Wa
It's ambitious but it us doable. For the next couple months I would focus on the bike and run. If you really are an above average swimmer I would completely ignore that leg for now. Your next step would be to get a bike and become best friends with it.
2011-09-20 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3692989

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Buy a bike ASAP and get your tush on it!

In the next 3 months, build up to being comfortable with 50 mile rides and 10 mile runs.  Then start your Ironman Plan.

2011-09-20 9:15 AM
in reply to: #3692824

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
_Deb_ - 2011-09-19 8:46 PM

My advice would be to get an experienced triathlon coach right away.  To be honest, it is very very ambitious to go from being a complete non-biker and non-runner to doing an ironman in 9 months.  You need somebody that knows exactly what they are doing - to help you use your time well and keep you from hurting yourself.

Make sure this guy has more credentials then just having done an ironman.  Make sure whoever you go with has an actual degree behind them and has coached numerous other athletes to ironman for many years.

I'm not trying to be a downer; just saying you need help and you need smart help.

I agree with everything you say. 140.6 miles is not difficult to think about in theory ("oh, I have xx months to train"), but Coeur d'Alene is a pretty difficult venue. The goal is to have fun, first and foremost; if not properly approached, you are looking for a miserable day, and we don't want that!

I will echo advice of others 1) get a coach who knows what he/she is doing 2) start yesterday. 9 months is a long time, but from no background, you need as much time as you can handle.

Good luck
2011-09-20 11:42 AM
in reply to: #3693282

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, Wa
If you're looking for a coach I recommend Derek Garcia. He lives in Post Falls and works at the Kroc center in couer d Alene. He has tons of experience getting people to their first ironman finish with a smile on their face. http://www.trikirkcoaching.com/p/meet-coaches.htmlTellhim Scott Allen sent you.
2011-09-21 11:17 PM

Coeur dálene, and Mexico

thanks a ton for the info. I will contact Derek and try to meet him when I am in Post Falls.

2011-09-27 11:10 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

IM Coeur D'Alene is a great venue. 

Ironman is about the training.  Put in the time to train and stay healthy (that's where a coach can help) and then race with a decent strategy and you'll have a great day. 

As for shorter races, they won't tell you much to prepare yourself for IMCdA, so do them if you really WANT to.  (IM is a long day in Z1-Z2 versus a sprint where you're redlined for 60-90 minutes)

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Beginner - Coeur dÁlene Ironman 2012 Rss Feed