YMCA
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 02m 8s
Overall Rank = 63/74
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 4/7
Pre-race routine:

Ate some Szechuan dumplings, a bowl of Lucky Charms, and a mini peanut butter cup
Event warmup:

Walked to race site from home (~3/4 mile)
Run
  • 1h 02m 8s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first 10K. I had a 10 mile training run scheduled for the next day, so I went about halfway between my 5K pace & my long run pace. The hill was ridiculous, but I was dropping so many people that I ran the whole thing. Looking at the race results, I think that I was way in the back before the hill, since I passed at least ten people.

My pace was my goal half-marathon pace. I was tired but not dead at the end. I could have done three more miles at that pace. Seven, no. I'm not worried about finishing the half-mary at this point, but I'd like to break 2:15.

Since the overall winner was in my age group, I would have actually gotten an award if I'd stuck around. Cool.

I like the 10K distance - 5Ks have a huge spread of runners, from super-sprinters to walkers. The 10K was more clustered - everyone was there to run, but they pace themselves.
What would you do differently?:

Eat the good-ole fruit and peanut butter brekkie instead of the nausea special.
Post race
Warm down:

Mmmm, barbecue.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mugginess, holding back for training run, combo of chinese food & lucky charms. Dumping water on my head/down my shirt instead of drinking it.

Event comments:

This was a great race - fanstastically organized on the course, with tons of water and every intersection manned. They should really publicize it better and/or have online registration - there were only about 200 runners in all the races, and they could handle more.

Last updated: 2005-09-19 12:00 AM
Running
01:02:08 | 06.21 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 7/74
Performance: Average
Course: Rolling hills and flats, with the exception of mile 3, which was one huge hill, a small hill, and then a medium downhill.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes