General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looks like I am done:( Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-02 2:37 PM

Subject: Looks like I am done:(
Well, I have almost decided to shut it down for my iron distance race at the end of this month. I have done all I know to do to get healed quickly from this L5/S1 disc/SI/piriformis issue that I know to do. I am on my second round of prednisone(12 days)-day 5. Ihave tried to train through it but can't walk the next day. I have stopped training for 6 days with better results in my back but not my mind! Started back this week with a 70 mile ride yesterday that was OK but had radiating pain after it. Did a 90 min walk today and had the radiation again for most of the walk. All of it doesn't make me stop but I pay for it later.
I have spent about 450-500 bucks this month in MD, chiro, massage, acupuncture visits and don't think I can spend another dollar on it-I would if I thought it would get me to the start line healthy and without lasting issues after the race.
I am just feeling like such a loser, cry baby etc! I want this race as I am older(53) and don't know how much longer I can do the long stuff which I love! I also know that if I continue to flare this up that it can take months for it to heal.
I want to get to the place where I know I am doing the healthiest thing and I will be better for it next season and can do another iron distance race. Right now, I am depressed a bit and really feeling like I should do the race, then the other side of me says it is crazy to ride my bike and pull over to take steroids so I can keep going!
How do I get past this disappointment quickly? I will be going to the race to support a dear friend which I should be racing with-not watching. I don't want to cry the whole time!
Suggestions?
Thanks for your time.....

2011-10-02 2:46 PM
in reply to: #3708189

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Subject: RE: Looks like I am done:(

Ouch, thats a tough and depressing call you made.  The only real advice I can give is to just get better and do whatever it takes.  Making the call to not do the IM was tough but probably the right decision.  You don't want to go into one of those with any major issues, because they will creep up in the race, and DNF'ing an IM sucks alot worse than dns'ing.

Just do what you have to do, get your mind off training if you have to, and get better.

2011-10-02 2:56 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Man, I feel for you. Sucks to have chronic issues, blow money at them, and have to miss such a major race. I've gotten 50-90% of the way through training for three iron races that I had to forfeit.

It's very good of you to go to support your friend. That's something that helps me--even if I can't train, I CAN visit others' logs, answer questions on the forum, etc. There's endless satisfaction in others ... me, I'm just one person.

I'm younger than you, I don't know, but I've heard it from quite a few people in their 80s that they wish they'd known how young they were at 50.

Speaking of which ... you'll probably make it to 80, so all the more reason to keep in as good shape as you can for the long-term.

What CAN you do? Stretching? Yoga? Water running? Other activities?

2011-10-02 4:43 PM

User image

Bronze member

First off, you are doing the right thing.

I feel for you. I have been struggling with lingering issues since my HIM in June. Tendonitis in my foot took longer than I had hoped to heal. It is finally gone, I started running again, then I wiped out on my bike. Now my lower back is flared up so again, no running.

I have been down this road before. It can really make me mental not to be able to do what I love and that does not even factor in the disappointment of not being able to race. Since I have dealt with injuries so many times I know that I will heal. That is what I focus on. I repeat it to myself. I think of every positive and focus my energy on getting well. The same mental strength that got you through those tough IM workouts will get you through this disappointment.

Good luck!

2011-10-02 4:49 PM

User image

Boy my heart goes out to you big time.... it is such a big dream, I know, but it sounds like you are probably making the right call.... 54 really isn't older than 53 so to do it healthier next year, fingers crossed, would be a heck of a lot more fun in the long run probably.  I know this is very hard... hang in there.
2011-10-02 5:10 PM

User image

Pro

We're the same age.  I always look at training at this level, at this age, like I'm running with a grenade in my pocket, never knowing when it will go off.  Yours hasn't.  Let it go for a few months.  Winter is coming. (in more ways then we care to admit Laughing  

Let your body catch up to itself, and it will.  If it were me, and I understand other ways of thinking, I'd get off all the meds and rest my body.  If I could swim, I would, but if not, I'd let that go too for now.  I understand how hard it is, I've had to do it, but I came back stronger every time.  And yeah, at our age, you have to wonder how many "comebacks" you have left, but I'd say we have as many as we want to have, but our goals may have to shift.

Relax, heal.....and then start again.  You know the drill.

Edited by Left Brain 2011-10-02 5:14 PM

2011-10-02 5:23 PM

Thanks guys. I had this same disc issue(actually 3 discs) about 6 years ago-had to change my job, lost 30 pounds and came out of that in the best shape of my life. It took over a year to do that and I really don't want to do that again-very difficult year. But like I said-came out of it better than ever. So I will try to learn from this what I need to and get better for next year so I can do another IM. I feel like I have lost something!
2011-10-02 5:56 PM
in reply to: #3708311

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Cayenne - 2011-10-02 5:23 PM Thanks guys. I had this same disc issue(actually 3 discs) about 6 years ago-had to change my job, lost 30 pounds and came out of that in the best shape of my life. It took over a year to do that and I really don't want to do that again-very difficult year. But like I said-came out of it better than ever. So I will try to learn from this what I need to and get better for next year so I can do another IM. I feel like I have lost something!

I think you should congratulate yourself for being smart and trying to recover and not push it.  Your health is more important.

2011-10-02 7:50 PM
in reply to: #3708343

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
1stTimeTri - 2011-10-02 5:56 PM

Cayenne - 2011-10-02 5:23 PM Thanks guys. I had this same disc issue(actually 3 discs) about 6 years ago-had to change my job, lost 30 pounds and came out of that in the best shape of my life. It took over a year to do that and I really don't want to do that again-very difficult year. But like I said-came out of it better than ever. So I will try to learn from this what I need to and get better for next year so I can do another IM. I feel like I have lost something!

I think you should congratulate yourself for being smart and trying to recover and not push it.  Your health is more important.

+1

2011-10-02 8:56 PM

User image

My dh has the same periformus issue you describe.  He is a rugby player and went back too soon after the initial issue and of course, reinjured his lower back.  I can tell you the 2nd go 'round of this pain has been more intense and taken more effort and longer to heal.  You are doing the right thing to let your body heal.  PT was a life saver for him as he worked on strengthening his core and increasing flexibility.  

Best of luck to you on your recovery and working through the tough decision.  

2011-10-02 9:06 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Very tough call...and I hope you have peace with your decision.

I had to pull out of an IM this year...it was tough to deal with. I'm signed up to do IMFL and have some injury issues (trying to avoid knee replacement) . I had steroid shot in my shoulder and symvisc in my knee last week. I have seen many physicians and PTs, and have the go ahead to do IM but will have surgery post IM and be on crutches for up to 12 weeks.  I'm participating and plan on walking the run. Being able to participate is good but a bit bittersweet.

It sucks to be getting older, have injuries and want to follow our hearts, but our bodies won't allow it.

I fear the time will come when I can't participate. The depression and mental stuff I went through this spring was ugly. You sound like me tris helped me change myself in both my body and mind and find joy. Taking the ability to do that away was very tough.

I'm not sure there is a way to get over the disappointment quickly. When something is a big goal it can take longer. Putting things in perspective and learning to accept what is a process and some of us do it more quickly than others. I found setting other goals helped. For me aquabikes are something I can participate in. The nice thing since I stopped running my knee doesn't hurt all the time anymore and I don't limp as often.

Trust your heart and do what feels right. Support your friend at the race if you think that is the right path for you.

Good luck with healing up!

2011-10-02 9:21 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

It's a tough situation, but your livelihood doesn't depend on whether you start or finish an Ironman race, does it? 

Finishing an Ironman isn't going to change how people close to you (spouse, children, parents) view you, is it? 

But...pushing and attempting an Ironman race when you're not healthy CAN cause further health issues that might affect your livelihood and/or the quality of life you experience with your family. 

2011-10-02 10:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas

58 years old here and former back surgery recovery person.  I waiting and healed and worked very slowly on abs and lower back strengthening.  Waiting is hard, but def worth every minute.  a re-injury is horrible and much worse than the initial one.

Be patient with your body and the recovery.  As a teen athlete, I would simply wrap it and keep playing, but now it takes weeks or even months to heal my injuries.

Even if you can work out, you may be making adjustments to compensate for your pain and cause additional injuires elsewhere.

Swimming or even just walking in the water might help.  Your reduced body weight and the restance in the water will still give you a workout and feel great.

Good luck and remember be patient and heal.

Edited by SWIM2LIVE 2011-10-02 10:01 PM
2011-10-02 10:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So, so, sorry Cayenne, that really sucks. Our bodies just don't always cooperate and that's frustrating. I can't imagine how dissapointing it would be to plan and train for a full only to be curtailed by injury.

Now though, you should concentrate on letting your body heal, be nice to it for a while and just do what will help it.

You will get better and you will do the ironman, so don't worry about that, just worry about getting healed up so you can come at it again healthy and strong.

Take care!

Patsy

2011-10-02 10:27 PM

User image

Xenia
There have been some very positive points made by other members here, so I wont belabor those points. You need some more time to get both your mental and physical approach to healing squared away. Set some realistic goals that include some initial downtime. You have plenty of time to get yourself re-prepared. Don't let this be a bigger mental issue than it already is, it will drain you of your mojo.P-man
2011-10-03 7:22 AM

User image

Elite
Cayenne - 2011-10-02 2:37 PM Well, I have almost decided to shut it down for my iron distance race at the end of this month. I have done all I know to do to get healed quickly from this L5/S1 disc/SI/piriformis issue that I know to do. I am on my second round of prednisone(12 days)-day 5. Ihave tried to train through it but can't walk the next day. I have stopped training for 6 days with better results in my back but not my mind! Started back this week with a 70 mile ride yesterday that was OK but had radiating pain after it. Did a 90 min walk today and had the radiation again for most of the walk. All of it doesn't make me stop but I pay for it later. I have spent about 450-500 bucks this month in MD, chiro, massage, acupuncture visits and don't think I can spend another dollar on it-I would if I thought it would get me to the start line healthy and without lasting issues after the race. I am just feeling like such a loser, cry baby etc! I want this race as I am older(53) and don't know how much longer I can do the long stuff which I love! I also know that if I continue to flare this up that it can take months for it to heal. I want to get to the place where I know I am doing the healthiest thing and I will be better for it next season and can do another iron distance race. Right now, I am depressed a bit and really feeling like I should do the race, then the other side of me says it is crazy to ride my bike and pull over to take steroids so I can keep going! How do I get past this disappointment quickly? I will be going to the race to support a dear friend which I should be racing with-not watching. I don't want to cry the whole time! Suggestions? Thanks for your time.....

Just sympathesizing...I spent $3200 ABOVE my insurance copays to get through my season last year. This year? I've already had knee surgery and am shutting it down myself. 

It happens, more often than not. Take the time.  You WILL be able to.  I am planning on resting up, let's find something fun to do that does not hurt and brings joy.   My biggest fear is that I'm actually injuring myself from riding horses (that is my biggest love) but I am going to start learning to cook and volunteering at a rescue shelter.

Come up with a plan that will help you actively heal (mentally) and you will feel better.

2011-10-03 7:53 AM

Wow guys-all the support is so appreciated! No, I don't pay the bills with tris(God, I would be homeless!) and I don't think my family would change their view of me. However, DH loves the fact that I train long as it gives him time for himself as well. It also is the place he shines as far a being a support for me(he is an old powerlifting coach)-he kinda struggles in the other areas.

My hope is that I shut it down only to be able to keep training for years to come. I hate to think, and wont right now, that it is over forever-just for 2011. My plan is to rest for a week or two, start yoga, work in the yard and drop 20 pounds to come back stronger than ever.

The older you get, it is harder and takes longer to recup and the potential for long term issues is greater. That is at least what I feel happens to me. Much more time spent on flexibility, core, recovery and strengthening of hips/core. Not enough hours in the day.

I am feeling a bit better thanks to all your responces and thoughts for next year already-IMF or B2B? Is it too early to plan this far ahead? I know IMF will fill up in a day so hopefully by early Nov I can at least be solidly on the raod to recovery so I can decide and not waste money again-although it is an investment in yourself,never a waste!

Thanks again!
C
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looks like I am done:( Rss Feed