General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon Tips or Tricks or Whatever you've learned Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2005-09-20 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas
Subject: Marathon Tips or Tricks or Whatever you've learned

Week 15 of my Hal Higdon marathon training

I’m glad to see that all of my training is coming to a close… not that I’ve got issues with training I’ve got issues with the Wichita Marathon being less than 4 weeks away and I feel ready to run it!!!

This week should be long week with a total of 42 scheduled miles for the week my long run of 20 miles will be on Sunday.

Any suggestions from you experienced marathoners on race day prep, what to eat before the race, put band aids over my nipples… etc… ?

2005-09-20 9:20 AM
in reply to: #250057

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-09-20 9:32 AM

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Marathon Tips or Tricks or Whatever you've learned

Hopefully your long runs have told you everything you need to know about the race   Body glide or vaseline EVERYWHERE is always a good plan   Okay, not everywhere...but anywhere you ever felt discomfort on your long runs.

Have you figured out a during race nutrition plan that you have tried on long runs?  You don't want your belly surprised by the stuff they have out on the course.

Pre-race routine...varies by people.  But tried and true lessons are:
1. Don't spend all day on your feet at packet pickup/expo the day before.
2. Get to the race site early on race day...always better to be standing around idle than rushing around panicky.
3. Night before meal and prerace meal should be something you had good results with in training.
4. Stay hydrated.
5. Have fun.

2005-09-20 9:32 AM

Champion
When they blow the whistle to go...GO! When you reach the finish line...STOP! Talk to other triathletes at the race, make new friends, laugh a lot, have a good time. That's what's really important.
2005-09-20 9:36 AM
in reply to: #250072

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

max - 2005-09-20 10:32 AM When they blow the whistle to go...GO! When you reach the finish line...STOP! Talk to other triathletes at the race, make new friends, laugh a lot, have a good time. That's what's really important.

You forgot one Max- wear high heels and a wig

2005-09-20 9:38 AM

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Body Glide does the trick better than vaseline for me -- don't forget it!

The three best tips I can give after doing 8 marathons are:

1. Start S L O W -- you'll be pumped up, but the old saying that "seconds too fast per mile at the beginning equals minutes too slow at the end" has been proven to my personal satisfaction more times than I'd like to admit. If you've trained with walking breaks, by all means use them. If not, keep the pace 15-30 seconds per mile slower than your goal for the first 5-6 miles.

2. Pack a salty treat. I usually take a few pretzels along in a baggy. They taste great around the 15-20 mile range. Believe me, you'll get sick of sweet energy drinks and sticky gels after a while. The salty snacks are a nice change of taste and keep your sodium levels up.

3. Pay attention to creature comforts. You'll probably be on the course for a while. Take advantage of people passing out things like damp cloths, hard candies, whatever. Just wiping the dried sweat off of your face after 2-3 hours of running is a real pleasure, and makes a psychological difference.

Best of luck! A marathon is a very neat experience -- you'll be a happy camper when they put that medal around your neck!

2005-09-20 9:50 AM
in reply to: #250078

Expert
Kansas

For the life of me I’m not sure what makes me this way but I’ve tried to keep the thought of a goal time out of my head and focus on fun and just run the race (Example: 1 Cor 9:24-27) BUT… I’ve got this goal of doing a sub 4 hour marathon and all my training is in that pace range… Just tell me to put this silly notion to bed and focus on finishing!!!

2005-09-20 10:02 AM

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
There's a lot of good things to be said for that attitude (have fun and finish), but I'd suggest you go out with a plan, even if it's only for the first few miles.

But hey, it's not an exact science, and I can't make coffee in the morning without a plan. Have fun!
2005-09-20 10:51 AM

Veteran
McAllen, TX
Start slow and pace yourself. A good trick for first-timers is to follow a pace group. If you want to finish sub-4 hrs, stick to the 4 hr pace group. After mile 20 if you still feel good, push the pace and leave the group behind. Pace groups are usually organized according to target times every 15 minutes (4:00, 3:45, 3:30, etc..). They’re great because you get all the support from your fellow pace-groupers and it’s a lot of fun to run with people that share the same goal.

Remember to have fun and run smart! You’ve done all the training, so be confident that you can do it!

Good luck!
2005-09-20 11:13 AM

Extreme Veteran
Texas
A marathon is a 20 mile warm up followed by a 6 mile race. Start at the pace you have practiced or a bit slower. After your 20 mile training run take an ice bath, it will help your muscles recover faster (and make sure you have a warm drink in hand while in the ice bath, hot chocolate is a good choice!)

If you haven't practiced with Body Glide on your feet don't do it on race day (I found that out the hard way). Of course don't try anything new on race day.

Treat your 20 mile run as the race, carbo load two days before, hyrdate the day before, eat your prerace meal that day and wear your race day clothes for that run.

Most importanly enjoy your first marathon! It is hard work but worth it when you cross the finish line!
2005-09-20 11:55 AM
in reply to: #250165

Expert
Colchester, CT

There is no such thing as putting time in the bank.  Any time saved over the first 20 miles, will likely be withdrawn at double the rate over the last 6 miles.  Pacing, Pacing, Pacing, can't emphasize it enough.  Drink every water stop, don't wait until you are thirsty. And most importantly, when you get to the finish line, wait a few seconds to stop your watch.  In 5 of my 10 marathons, I have finish line pictures of me looking down at my watch as I stop it.  DOH.

Chris

2005-09-20 1:36 PM

Giver
DON'T eat 20 "three mile island" wings from TacoMac the night before...
2005-09-20 2:16 PM
in reply to: #250302

Expert
Kansas

that is noted Jim

2005-09-20 3:50 PM

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Have fun with it.  Give the volunteers that you pass, a quick thanks.  And nothing different to eat leading up to the event...Also, two nights before the race should be your good nite of sleep, since the night before will be all tossing and turning.
2005-09-20 4:09 PM

Master
New Jersey
Plan your race, race your plan. (don't make any rash decisions such as "hey I'm feeling good at mile 2 - let me push the pace a little.")

Don't do anything new that you haven't done in training.

For the first half of the race - if you don't think you're running too slow, you're running too fast.

Conserve your energy. Relax before the race.
2005-09-21 6:20 AM

Master
Saskatchewan

I wrote my target paces through out the race on my arm. It helped tremendously because although I may think that I can do the math during the race, at mile 23, I have a hard time even remembering my own name.

Stick to the plan...run a negative split.

Start slower than you think you should because that'll probably be your planned pace anyway  - you'll go faster with the excitement at the start.

There's no embarrassment in walking aid stations - I get more fluid in my mouth and it's a nice 20 second break that will help me go even faster later on.

If someone offers you beer at any point on the course, although it may sound so good and the perfect refreshment at the time, politely decline and stick to your favorite sports drink. You can have as many beers as you want after the race although they may now taste as good as during the race.

Good luck!

2005-09-21 8:06 AM

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
Everyone above has posted wonderful tips.

-for many, it helps to walk the aid stations, being able to get the water down + the walk break helps considerably
-don't allow yourself to focus too much the first 10 miles, enjoy the experience...the crowds..you'll have to focus enough around mile 16/17
-if you begin hurting around mile 20, find a friend. people usually will be willing to share their energy and vice versa. good luck!
2005-09-21 11:13 AM

Master
Calgary, Alberta
Re your nipples. Find a running store and see if they carry Nipple guards. WWW.Nipguards.com

Re what to eat before - same thing as what has worked for you in training. Do NOT try anything new.

Re 4 hour goal for first time marathon - Goal # 1 for me was to finish. Goal # 2 for me was to finish under 4 hours. So it sounds like you have the same goal I had. What worked for me was to I started with the 4 hour pace bunny and stuck with him until the half way point. This kept me from going out too fast. I then ran at my own pace and finished in 3:53. I was happy to have completed both of my goals but really in reflection what I am most happy about is being able to say I completed a marathon (2 now).

Wish you a great race. Sounds like you have put in the training so enjoy it and come back here to let us know how it went!
2005-09-21 1:02 PM

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
I like to put my name on my running singlet/tank for marathons.  It's really awesome when I would be struggling and a complete stranger would yell out my name and encourage me!  It was like a had a fan club!  Little kids would yell out my name too- it was cute!  I usually put a piece on duct tape on the front.back and write my name in big bold letters with a black marker. Some people will pin apiece of paper to their back with their name on it, but I prefer the tape.
2005-09-21 11:06 PM

Expert
Kansas

It’s sort of fun to look back to see how much I’ve gained in the past year in regards to personal fitness…. Before I got married I came from a power lifting background and would dabble in natural bodybuilding but after I got married (2 years ago) I went from a lean 180 to a chubby/fat 210. (dang that ice cream & pizza) A year after I was married I woke up and decided to change my physical appearance.

Started running a little but walking a ton due to the hound dog that you see on my blog (Lilly) It was the only way I could keep her under control was by walking her 3 miles in the morning.

After walking a ton I started running more and my mileage was up to about 20 miles a week so to help me keep motivated I decided on a 15k, after that I started to lose more weight (170lbs) cause I bumped up my weekly mileage.

Then decided to do a tri with group of my church friends but (this is a big but) I didn’t know how to swim… joined the masters swim at my local YMCA and after 3 months of drinking pool water I figured out how to swim (I tell people that I went from being able to swim 50m to 400m over night) I did my first tri in 1:08 which was disappointing but I finished the course and I tried to fight a good fight but jumping off the bike and running about killed me… (more bricks 4 me)

During the training for the tri I decided to train for a marathon thus is my story to date.

Eric

P.S.

Thanks for all the help and I will give you my results from this weeks 20 miler and race day

2005-09-22 7:11 AM

Lets see; my pointers that I wish I listened to for my first marathon.

I wish I ran to fininsh instead of getting a goal in my head, I finished great but a lot slower than planned and that still nags me, enjoy the race, until you have done a marathon you won't no what will go thru your head, race to finish and it should leave you excited to do another one. That one set gaols for time!

Walk thru the aid stations, 1;you will actually swallow some of the fliuds and 2; you get a small rest, don't feel bad for walking even the pros do it!

Write your name on your shirt, people cheer for you the whole time!

Enjoy yourself! What an accomplishment!

Keep walking when you finish, you will feel woozy, walking helps this (even though collapsing sounds better)

Good Luck

2005-09-22 7:33 AM

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Incidentally, the "name on the front of the singlet" thing is helpful for us volunteers too. I was a wheelchair runner at the Columbus Marathon last year...some people didn't even remember their own names after finishing and it was really nice to be able to address them by one and it helped the med tent people.

Also! Don't refuse help unless you REALLY REALLY DON'T need it. Let people help you first, that's what we're there to do. The perspective of other people is much different from your own. You very well may be having a Chariots of Fire moment in your head, but the rest of us see a guy bleeding profusely from the nipples crawling across the line. We had several people refuse wheelchairs when we KNEW they couldn't stand...it sucks picking up a sweaty, combative marathoner from the ground and trying to put them in a chair.
2005-09-22 1:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
I am not "experienced" but I learned couple things....
- Run in your most confortable training clothes
- If it is cold, wear layers, warmer clothes you do not mind leaving behind.
- Do not forget to use BodyGlide (I use it on my feet and inner legs) and cover your nipples! I heard blody nipples are a common problem for guys.
- Get a nice pair of running socks (I like Asics Nimbus or Nike anti Blisters) use them before the race in your training. They are not cheap but they are great!
- Check the marathon route, be familiar with the water stops and coordinate your food intake. I prefer to carry my own goo and schedule the intake to my convenience.
- Do not eat anything different on race day (or before) I try to avoid those big pasta dinners as I tend to over eat...
- Break the long distance in smaller chunks, I usually break mine in chunks of 6 miles. I only think on the next 6 miles.... otherwise It may get a little scary
- Listen to your body! I like to start slow, take it easy and save energy for the end. It is a common mistake to go to fast at the beginning. Set your pace and if you can speed up towards the end, go for it.
Good Luck!
2005-09-22 4:11 PM

Extreme Veteran
Shiloh Illinois
youll feel like sh*t at some point in the race, youll feel good at some point in the race.
just relax and enjoy the experience, the last .2 make it worth the 26 before

and a major tip, make sure you have a fully stocked kitchen for afterwards
2005-09-22 4:36 PM

Tuscon, AZ
One suggestion (that I didn't read in any of the other posts) is to just think positive. The mental stress is far greater than the physical stress (towards the end of the marathon). That same physical stress is going to be there after 20 miles of running if you run either really slow or really fast, but your head starts asking the question "why the hell am I doing this?", epsecially when you see others dropping out right and left.

So just keep up that positive thinking and you'll finish ...

Also, don't stop moving right after you cross the finish line ... I sat down for about 5 mins right after crossing the finish on my 1st marathon and once I started moving again, my legs had minds of their own and I felt a little out of mind (which was trippy since nothing really bad happened, but I wouldn't want to do that again).

Lastly, have fun and cheer back at the crowd cheering you on ...

jim
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon Tips or Tricks or Whatever you've learned Rss Feed  

of 1