2011-10-06 8:59 AM
in reply to: #3713442

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: slow runners pity party
Goosedog - 2011-10-06 8:46 AM
kaburns1214 - 2011-10-06 6:55 AM

While I know a lot of you are convinced that you're destined to be slow runners, . . . .

This is a pity party, not a solution party.  Apparently.

It is not an either/or thing.  Many, if not all, of the people who have posted here have worked hard and continue to learn and do their best to improve.  Sometimes it's just nice to have some company and shared experiences on the journey. 

2011-10-06 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3713461

User image

NC
squirt - 2011-10-06 9:59 AM

It is not an either/or thing.  

Agreed.  It was a joke thing.

2011-10-06 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3713473

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Goosedog - 2011-10-06 9:07 AM
squirt - 2011-10-06 9:59 AM

It is not an either/or thing.  

Agreed.  It was a joke thing.

Ahh...gotcha, and glad to hear it!

2011-10-06 9:15 AM
in reply to: #3710349

User image

Pro
Burbs

Before IronBabyBoy was born, I was running an 8:50 pace for marathons.

Now I can barely keep a 10 mm on training runs, but I'm getting there!

2011-10-06 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3712744

User image

Elite
Socks - 2011-10-05 3:20 PM HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD???? 

Seriously? 

Yes I am a slow runner.  10mm is BLISTERING for me.  Sometimes I can get below that and occasionally dip into the 8s but typically I am around 11-12 minute miles.  Those days are few and far between and can count the number of sub 30 minute 5Ks I have run on one hand.  Amputees pass me, guys with AFOs pass me blind people pass me.  I have been passed by THOUSANDS on the run in olys, HIMs and IMs.  No, really go look at my race reports.  I have had the WORST run time of the ENTIRE race.  WHatever

SO

What have I done?

1-I have a coach
2-He has tried to help me with my gait but the majority of the coaching is remote
3-I saw Dr. Irene Davis PT, PhD and gait guru for a gait anaylsis and director of the running clinic at Harvard
4-4 sets of orthotics
5-More runnign shoes than I can count
6-Physical therapy
7-Personal trainers to try and help my gait
8-many many many run analyses

I'm no faster nor am I any less injured, but its ok because

1-I try my best every single time and thats all anyone can do
2-I've watched too many friends battle dread diseases and injuries who would be on cloud nine to be able to participate and run as slowly as I do
3-I work as hard at this as my body will allow me to

So yes I understand slow is relative and I am OK with my inner slowness but I would caution anyone running 7s or 8s to whine to me about being slow.

Just for you Sue.
2011-10-06 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3713486

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I think it would be great if I could run quite a lot faster.   I am just not that athletically gifted, sorry!   Yes, I could run more and I could certainly lose weight, but I can't make a miracle happen.   Do I have to run 100 mile weeks?  It takes a long time to run that much at our pace

Does this logic extend to all things?  If I practiced the piano for 4 hours a day would I be an accomplished pianist?  Doubtful.   

Why aren't american runners able to keep up with the record setting Kenyan marathoners?  Are they just not training enough?

I am sure there are things I am good at that can't be taught to some people.    My body type (short legs) makes me an excellent limboer.     This is a rare skill among adults, I assure you.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2011-10-06 9:26 AM

2011-10-06 9:32 AM
in reply to: #3712978

User image

Master
Central Kansas
MacMadame - 2011-10-05 7:15 PM

I am somewhat confused because people are saying "I run X mm" but you aren't saying at what distance. I mean 10 mm for a marathon would be awesome IMO. Not so much if that's your 1 mile TT time though.

Now you're playing my song . . .

On my "long runs" (which are still only 7-8 miles, not considering the half marathon I did), I tell myself that this is my "ultra" pace. If I ever run 100 miles . . . I've got that pace down.

Speaking of the half marathon . . . my plan was to do the first three miles at 13 m/m. Yes. That's not a typo. That was my plan. For mile 3, I ran with a race walker. Yes. She was walking, and I was "running," and we were going exactly the same speed. I looked over to her and said, "How sad is this???" She was really sweet: "Well, I'm only about five inches taller than you, so . . ."

I had to stop at mile 7 for a potty/family visiting break for five minutes, and while I was . . . um . . . busy . . . she evidently passed me, because I saw her again at about mile 8.5. Since she was keeping close track of her pace (and I only keep a general track), I asked her how we were doing. Then I wished her well and went on. I ended up beating her by only 10 minutes.

At my first 5k, I was passed at about mile 2 by a 75 year old guy that I thought was going to have a heart attack. He was breathing so hard and his face was so red, and he was barely shuffling. But, yep. He passed me, three or four times before he eventually left me in his "dust."

One more . . . I run quite a bit at night, for scheduling reasons. One morning after a short run at night, one of my students said, "Oh, I saw you running last night." I'm thinking. Dang! Now he knows how really slow I am. So I stammered a little, and said, "Well, that was recovery run." (lol) He kind of nodded and playing along said, "Oh, well I was wondering why you were going so slowly."

And as slow as I am on the run . . . it's my strongest leg of the triathlon. I still pass a lot of people on the run because just about everyone passes me in the water and on the bike.

But I'm okay with it. Like most everyone else has said, I'm still faster than my couch.

Edited by KansasMom 2011-10-06 9:34 AM
2011-10-06 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3713486

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
trishie - 2011-10-06 10:15 AM

But I'd wager you had more time, more energy and could do more running (and quality running) before ironbaby was born?

Question for everyone who doesn't seem to get any faster despite running, and apologies if someone already noted this (I haven't read all 6 pages of this) have you consistently ran 20+ miles a week for months? For me, 15-20 miles a week seems to be a place where running feels better. I see on these boards a lot questions like "how do I get faster at running? I run 2X/week, 2 miles each time. Do I need to do speedwork?". No, you just need to run more. So even if you have been running for a long time, is that 3X3 miles a week, which I think will never make you any faster, or are you really running 4-6X/week, one long run, one tempo run and 3-4 easy runs (or some variation on that theme?), getting 20+ miles/week spread across those runs? Try that for 6 months and you will be faster. But maybe that is not the point of this thread and maybe it is more to just enjoy the pity party, in which case, rock on and ignore this.

2011-10-06 10:18 AM

User image

Regular
Maryland

I don't run often enough to be any good.  I recognize and accept that.

My form stinks.  I'm working to correct that.  Over-striding heel striker.

My back is aching because of my crummy form, which makes me run less.

As a priority: I'd rather correct my form and run pain-free, than run lots and work on speed.

I live in a hilly neighborhood so training runs are slow, and if I set the HR alarm to Zone 2, I end up walking more than jogging (it's a laugh to say I'm "running"). 

I'd love to be a MOP runner.  Maybe in the bigger events I can be, but I have a preference for the smaller events which makes my runs stand out much moreso at the back of the pack.

However, I can smoke the bike. Wink 

2011-10-06 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3713625

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH
louiskie - 2011-10-06 10:17 AM

But I'd wager you had more time, more energy and could do more running (and quality running) before ironbaby was born?

Question for everyone who doesn't seem to get any faster despite running, and apologies if someone already noted this (I haven't read all 6 pages of this) have you consistently ran 20+ miles a week for months? For me, 15-20 miles a week seems to be a place where running feels better. I see on these boards a lot questions like "how do I get faster at running? I run 2X/week, 2 miles each time. Do I need to do speedwork?". No, you just need to run more. So even if you have been running for a long time, is that 3X3 miles a week, which I think will never make you any faster, or are you really running 4-6X/week, one long run, one tempo run and 3-4 easy runs (or some variation on that theme?), getting 20+ miles/week spread across those runs? Try that for 6 months and you will be faster. But maybe that is not the point of this thread and maybe it is more to just enjoy the pity party, in which case, rock on and ignore this.

Just recently has running become something that could be comfortable for me so the idea of multiple 20+ weeks seemed like a nightmare before. Now that I've found a groove and am building base milage for a marathon, I'm hoping that keeping above 20 miles a week will work some magic on my speed. If not, I'm still happy with my progress so far, but that doesn't mean it's not fun to pity party every once in a while.
2011-10-06 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3713640

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
csikes - 2011-10-06 11:24 AM

Just recently has running become something that could be comfortable for me so the idea of multiple 20+ weeks seemed like a nightmare before. Now that I've found a groove and am building base milage for a marathon, I'm hoping that keeping above 20 miles a week will work some magic on my speed. If not, I'm still happy with my progress so far, but that doesn't mean it's not fun to pity party every once in a while.

Agreed, and I didn't mean to rain on the pity party. :-) But at some point it is good to move past that and if you really want to improve, there are ways to do that, but it takes a lot of work and a lot of commitment. Sometimes you look at people's race results and can't believe they run that fast, but you also dont know how many of those are natural runners with a background and how many just work really hard at it. But for those of us who are not natural runners, working hard can make you faster. Maybe not 6 min/mile fast, but faster than you are now.

2011-10-06 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3713505

User image

Master
Central Kansas

BikerGrrrl - 2011-10-06 9:25 AM

Does this logic extend to all things?  If I practiced the piano for 4 hours a day would I be an accomplished pianist?  Doubtful.   

Hooray! Something I know something about. The answer to the piano question is "yes." With lessons and coaching, of course. I was an excellent pianist in college -- and that's being modest. I practiced 2-3 hours a day -- sometimes 4. But I also had one hour lessons two times a week. If I could have practiced four hours a day, every day. I'd be on tour now and not grading freshmen composition essays.

2011-10-06 12:01 PM

Yeah, I took the bullet for this about 4 pages ago.

2011-10-06 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3713682

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
KansasMom - 2011-10-06 10:47 AM

Hooray! Something I know something about. The answer to the piano question is "yes." With lessons and coaching, of course. I was an excellent pianist in college -- and that's being modest. I practiced 2-3 hours a day -- sometimes 4. But I also had one hour lessons two times a week. If I could have practiced four hours a day, every day. I'd be on tour now and not grading freshmen composition essays.

You could be.   But could everyone?  What if I have no ear for music or my dexterity is poor?  I can't believe that practicing is the only factor.

KansasMom - I know you're not the one saying that more running is the answer to everything.  I just thought I had a good point and need to stick up for it
2011-10-06 1:04 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
louiskie - 2011-10-06 11:17 AM

I regularly run 25-30 mpw I have gotten a little faster -- closer to my old speed -- but I know it will take time. I am a big fan of Run More!

And yeah, I had more time, energy, and mileage before the baby was born. Also, I have to remember that a c-section is major surgery, and while I am certainy completely recovered, it did change my body.

2011-10-06 1:07 PM
in reply to: #3710848

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
saltman95 - 2011-10-04 11:54 AM

Have to say I am a very slow runner for a mid 30s male.  Most recent 5K was 23:30 and that was a stand alone 5K.  Here is the problem, I have run a grand total of 522 miles all year!  In the world for fast runners that is basically nothing.   Last year I ran a 22:30 5K, but only ran about 780 miles all year and the vast majority in the first 6 months, still nothing.

In my last OLY race which was in June 2010, I ran 49:40 off the bike on a very hilly run course.  It doesn't seem that fast, but I was only passed twice that day on the run and I my run split was 63rd overall out of about 310.  Certainly not FOP, but one of the more respectable runs I have had off the bike.  I had spent the winter and spring running a minimum of 5 days/week, usually 6 and had averaged 30 miles/week over the 6 weeks leading up to the race.  As the season progressed and I began riding a lot more and running a lot less.  My run miles came mostly in the form of 1 long run, 1 tempo run and 1 easy run every week, at most 25 miles/week and my run began to suffer especially off the bike.  By the end of the year a promising season was destroyed because I was back to running like caca.

What I learned?  Really I already knew this and ignored it.  If you want to run fast you have to run more.  This is especially true for those of us limited by natural running talent.  For me there was a big jump in my running on just 30 miles/week over at least 4 weeks (building to it slowly of course).  If I could ever commit to building to 40 miles/week and staying there for say 6 months who knows what could happen?   

I would encourage all of you to try a run build in the off season.  Focus on frequency and make your weekly long run no more than 25% of your total mileage.  To avoid injury, avoid speedwork, just run lots.  See what happens, you might be surprised. 

In a week and a half I'm starting a training program that has me running a lot more than I have been.  I hope that helps with my run time.  I'm quoting this, because I think this a post that had good advice, but was responded to very poorly.

2011-10-06 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3713819

User image

NC
saltman95 - 2011-10-06 1:01 PM

Yeah, I took the bullet for this about 4 pages ago.

Hilarious!

2011-10-06 1:09 PM

User image

Expert
Anaheim Hills, CA

At my first 5k earlier this year about mile 3, just outside Angel Stadium I caught up to a father and his 5-6 year old daughter that had run the entire course.  So yes I ran the same pace as a 5-6 year old.

ETA: I did however think that it was the coolest thing that she had run the whole course though.  I found it very motivating.

Edited by Panda_Jack 2011-10-06 1:10 PM
2011-10-06 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

This thread is awesome, I feel like I have come home. Thank you TurtleGirl for starting this.

I PR'd a half marathon two weeks ago. My time was 2:38 (12:05 pace).  I was and still am ecstatic! And while I say I would love to get faster, the bottom line is that I don't put in anywhere near enough miles to make it happen.

I prefer to think of myself not as slow, but merely "less fast".

2011-10-06 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3713879

User image

Master
Central Kansas
BikerGrrrl - 2011-10-06 12:39 PM
KansasMom - 2011-10-06 10:47 AM

You could be.   But could everyone?  What if I have no ear for music or my dexterity is poor?  I can't believe that practicing is the only factor.

KansasMom - I know you're not the one saying that more running is the answer to everything.  I just thought I had a good point and need to stick up for it

Oh, you did have a good point. I just wanted to talk piano for a few minutes. But maybe fast runners feel a little like good pianists. People would hear me play and say, "You have such a gift." Well, yeah, I guess. But it was also a heck of a lot of work and time and tears and relaxation meditation. lol

2011-10-06 1:53 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I am now officially jealous.

Jealous of everyone here that has posted a race photo (or has one as their avatar) and you're running in the pic!  Every single race pic that's been taken on the 'run' (whether taken by the course photographers, or by friends) not ONE of the 'run' pics actually looks like I'm running!  Death march, shuffle, walk, whatever you want to call it - but there's no way you could ever call it running as at no time are both of my feet actually off the ground at the same time! 

2011-10-06 2:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Missoula

Let's see em Monica. 

Seems like this thread needs more posts anyway!  

By the way, what's the record for thread pages? We may be slow runners, but we can post like nobody's business.

2011-10-06 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3714011

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Here's every runner's dream.  I am literally sprinting (oh, about 9s at this point) on the 3rd leg of Ragnar and this guy comes up, huffing and puffing, asking if he can pace off me.   This dude is built to run (look at those legs!) but didn't train a single mile ALL year.   I have trained for this race like a half marathon and I am just barely holding him off.   We actually did have a sprint to the finish and I darn near had to cut him off in order to beat him. 

I averaged about 9:20 pace for this 3.4 mile run and, honestly, I felt like I sprinting the whole way.

(298527_251245361583293_100000934930523_670853_596472579_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
298527_251245361583293_100000934930523_670853_596472579_n.jpg (79KB - 24 downloads)
2011-10-06 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Missoula

Hey Bikergrrrl,  

At least he had had an excuse for losing to you, you know with his bum knee and all. 

Seriously though, nice work.

2011-10-06 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3710382

User image

Expert
Hammond

tuwood - 2011-10-04 8:10 AM Just remember, your slow is somebody else's fast.  My wife gets excited when she breaks 14 minute miles and would do anything to be able to run at a 10 minute mile pace.

x2 on this. I'm thrilled when I hit a 12:30 mile. 10 min mile would be lightning quick for me.

Shelly

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » slow runners pity party Rss Feed  

of 8