General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Proper way to adjust Don Fink training plan... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-08 2:17 PM

Subject: Proper way to adjust Don Fink training plan...
Planning on using Don Fink's Be Iron Fit beginner training plan. The plan calls for a half-iron distance on week 20. The race I'm planning on doing will fall on week 17. Might sound insignificant, but I would really like to follow a plan correctly. What would be the proper way to adjust this and get right back on track. He seems to really stress the half-iron only at 20! (If there were any other options for a half iron at week 20 I would...but there isn't)

2011-10-08 6:30 PM
in reply to: #3716280

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
Subject: RE: Proper way to adjust Don Fink training plan...
I have the 2nd edition of the book and for the intermediate program, it had an Olympic race at week 18 and a half at week 22 - it looks like the "just finish" plan is the same. I did a half at week 20 instead, and adjusted the plan by ramping up to a little higher level on the long run and bike between weeks 15 and 18, then ramping up gradually to the week 24 levels after the half, then sticking to the plan after that. I put the one week taper from week w21 as the week leading up to the half unchanged, and the one-week recovery from w23 right after the half unchanged. Just make sure you get the long bike and run distance you need for a half in week 16 or 17. Or do a train-through Olympic during week 17 and skip the half altogether - some people don't think doing a half benefits you a whole lot in an Ironman, I tend to agree.
2011-10-09 6:27 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Have you started training yet? If not, I would consider starting the plan early, so that you reach "week 20" of the plan when it's time for your HIM, that way you can be pretty certain that you have adequate volume for the HIM without having to try and ramp up too quickly (and risk injury) or race the distance too early (and risk injury). After the HIM, you can repeat a couple week's training - for example, do week 21 2x, then week 22, then pick back up at week 23 or 24 at the point where it would put you back on track to finish the IM plan. I hope that made sense -- LOL!
2011-10-09 8:41 AM

Thanks for the advice, I'm thinking that adjusting the plan like jsnowash said, and starting it so week 20 falls on the HM date. Repeat a couple of weeks appropriately, then continue on to IMMOOO!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Proper way to adjust Don Fink training plan... Rss Feed