General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Suggestions Needed - Sign For Wife's First Half-Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-11 7:39 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: Suggestions Needed - Sign For Wife's First Half-Marathon

I'm doing something I never did before this Sunday. I'll be at the finish line of a race. My wife is doing the Hershey half-marathon, her first race of any distance beyond 5k. I'll be at the finish with our two kids, who just found out we're going back to Disney in January so Mommy and Daddy can both do the half-marathon.

I believe the finish line is inside hersheypark stadium. which makes sense. I somewhat want something so she can find us, but I want it to be a supportive race sign too. Since I won't be along the route, it won't be as clever as some of those I've heard of.

Any suggestions? Something non-chocolate related, as that's obvious and too easy for this event. They do chocolate at mile 10.

2011-10-11 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3718860

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: RE: Suggestions Needed - Sign For Wife's First Half-Marathon
A big heart shaped Board with "Congratulations Mommy" with photos of the kids
2011-10-11 7:43 AM

User image

Regular

How about instead of a sign, flowers and a calf massage? I'll bet they'd be just as much appreciated.

Of course, I only say that cause I'm not clever enough to think up a funny sign.

2011-10-11 7:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ARLINGTON
"You Inspire Us", with pics of the kids.
2011-10-11 9:07 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

Come on now.. anyone can do one sign... 

I would get about a dozen signs and put them out all over on the course.. All with her name on it, so everyone running will be wondering "who was _____??   that always makes me laugh when I see one person's family that puts up lots of signs so I'm always thinking who is this person

the one of the last ones could be something like,  "Your training was easy compared to putting up all these signs"

others

"____ first 1/2 mary... my first sign"

"go ___ yes your outift matches"

The other mom's are lame. ___ is the best"

"___run faster you need to cook my dinner"--  of course you will be taking her out to dinner that night

the last one at the finish line with you holding should be a family one, but by holding it she can take it home.

2011-10-11 9:12 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO

One that I saw last weekend was "My mommy ran a half marathon this weekend, what did your mommy do?"

And I agree with signs on the course if you can swing it although I can see how it would be difficult to pull off with 2 kids in tow. 

2011-10-11 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte

Who fartleked?

Worst Parade EVER!

Why Lie?  You all look terrible!

Chocolate isn't supposed to smell like that...

Or if you must:  GO MOMMY GO!

2011-10-11 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City

Claaaw,

I think you should wear your Doughboy shirt to the race, she will easliy be able to spot you with that on and even though you are not racing, its still a race and you should keep the tradition alive! but I also think that any sign you create for her will be special. I would say to try and make it as personal as possible but no matter what, she will love it because you and the kids are there for her at the finish. Wish her luck for me. Oh and after its all said and done, she will be able to give you alot of insight into the race so you will be prepared for the Disney Half.

2011-10-11 12:02 PM

User image

Pro
TheClaaaw - 2011-10-11 7:39 AM

I'm doing something I never did before this Sunday. I'll be at the finish line of a race. My wife is doing the Hershey half-marathon, her first race of any distance beyond 5k. I'll be at the finish with our two kids, who just found out we're going back to Disney in January so Mommy and Daddy can both do the half-marathon.

I believe the finish line is inside hersheypark stadium. which makes sense. I somewhat want something so she can find us, but I want it to be a supportive race sign too. Since I won't be along the route, it won't be as clever as some of those I've heard of.

Any suggestions? Something non-chocolate related, as that's obvious and too easy for this event. They do chocolate at mile 10.

Pic of the kids with something like "We believe" or something like that. Truth is you'll see her for about 10 seconds if at all, but her seeing you will mean a lot.

Why not greet her twice, once on the course (at a hill or tough part?) and once at the finish? My mom always comes out for the Philly Marathon and carries a sign. Don't ask me what's on it, I can never remember. Strategically it's great - I see her at the 6.5 mile mark just as we exit the city and head uphill, and my running buddies get a good laugh. She's 70 and definitely the loudest person on the course. My kids wake up later and meet me at the finish.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Suggestions Needed - Sign For Wife's First Half-Marathon Rss Feed