General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Glute muscles not firiing, anyone? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-17 1:17 PM

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Subject: Glute muscles not firiing, anyone?

Ok, here is the deal, my right glute doesn't fire like my left glute.

Result:  My right Quad/IT band scream at me on hills and pace and I go numb down my right leg.  It is very frustrating.

So, I am getting adjustments and A.R.T.,  this is the strangest think and actually I think its been a chronic problem for me thru the years.

So how about you, have any of you had this issue and what did you do about it?

2011-10-17 5:38 PM
in reply to: #3726974

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Glute muscles not firiing, anyone?

I know what you mean. I dont have the same leg issues as you (my knees hurt bec of weak glutes) but my PT gave me links to glute exs on this website and they are really good:

http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/movements/glute-activation-half-kneeling.html

That's just one exercise, you can search for lots of others. Some of the strengthening Exs for soccer players are useful.

2011-10-19 5:44 AM
in reply to: #3727432

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
I think its a good idea to strengthen the glutes, so thanks for the link, I am sure I have an imbalance...just wondering why when I push off it will not fire - its the craziest thing.
2011-10-19 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3729423

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Blueraider_Mike - 2011-10-19 6:44 AM I think its a good idea to strengthen the glutes, so thanks for the link, I am sure I have an imbalance...just wondering why when I push off it will not fire - its the craziest thing.

Its probably a chronic weakness that developed over time.  Do the strengthening.  See a PT if you can.  ART etc are all well and good but if you do not correct the imbalances wit some strengthening you will continue to have problems

2011-10-21 3:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member

Had this issue for sometime. I only found out about it when having a casual conversation with a PT while I was being treated for a back problem. She did a simple test and sure enough my R) glutes were not firing. All the work being done by the R)hamstrings leading to lots of issues......

I had developed a R) knee Patellar Tendonopathy 18 months ago that was not resolving with regular treatment. Until this diagnosis I was treating the symptoms (Patellar Tendonopathy) not the underlying cause - the misfiring glutes. I then  went for an opinion from a sports docs and then went to Pilates to strengthen the core and get the kinetic chain working in synch again ( incl. the troublesome butt muscles!). Not mat pilates mind you, but a  full 'reformer' pilates with the instructors being trained PT's  with a max instructor:student ratio of 1:4.

The results have been amazing - been going 2x per week for 8weeks and I am back to competing in tris for the first time in 5 years and able to run longer and stronger with less effort in more time than I can remember.

Interesting that you mention the ITB going nuts. As part of the Pilates session I roll the ITB (ouch!) each time and I think this improved flexibility has helped too.

2011-10-21 8:19 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
My chiro believed this is what was causing my back issues, glutes not working much and back doing most of the work.  He gave me a series of exercises to do to strengthen them.  I am sure they are easy enough to find online, usually involves various types of squats.  You just have to make sure that you're doing them correctly so it's the glute doing the work not your back.

2011-10-21 11:49 AM
in reply to: #3732700

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Konabound - 2011-10-21 4:52 AM

Had this issue for sometime. I only found out about it when having a casual conversation with a PT while I was being treated for a back problem. She did a simple test and sure enough my R) glutes were not firing. All the work being done by the R)hamstrings leading to lots of issues......

I had developed a R) knee Patellar Tendonopathy 18 months ago that was not resolving with regular treatment. Until this diagnosis I was treating the symptoms (Patellar Tendonopathy) not the underlying cause - the misfiring glutes. I then  went for an opinion from a sports docs and then went to Pilates to strengthen the core and get the kinetic chain working in synch again ( incl. the troublesome butt muscles!). Not mat pilates mind you, but a  full 'reformer' pilates with the instructors being trained PT's  with a max instructor:student ratio of 1:4.

The results have been amazing - been going 2x per week for 8weeks and I am back to competing in tris for the first time in 5 years and able to run longer and stronger with less effort in more time than I can remember.

Interesting that you mention the ITB going nuts. As part of the Pilates session I roll the ITB (ouch!) each time and I think this improved flexibility has helped too.

Glad your feeling better, your story is encouraging for me - I desperately want to compete again. ...a lot of my imbalance is cause by a "twisted" spine...working a strengthening the entire posterior chain - began with the "foundation" stuff yesterday.   My whole back side was shaking!

Got to love the foam roller!

2011-11-30 2:23 PM

Just came to the forum to check out the occurance of weak glutes with ITBS and patellarfemoral syndrome.

Finally saw a sports medicine doc and physical therapist in the same session and they found my right glute fires quite a bit more slowly that my left glute. I also have to concentrate very hard to flex the muscle. This is causing my hamstring to do all the work, creating IT pain. The weak glute also is allowing my femor to rotate inward thus doing a chain reaction of sorts all the way down to my foot, creating a slight pigeon toeness when I run.

No running for a month (can't do more than a 1/2 mile anyways, so no biggie), and I have a slew of exercises to do, as well as trying to flex my butt every time my right foot strikes the ground while walking. My glutes are getting tired!

The pure definition of 'lazy a__'. I'm going to have to look at pilates instructors that may help with this, as it sounds like an encouraging option. Right now I do glute bridges and a few other complicated movements.

2011-11-30 4:16 PM

User image

New user

I found that pilates was great for building strenght and flexibility in my legs.  Also Shiatsu massage therapy is great.  Better results than with chiropractor.  Check out shiatsu on line for more info and find a shiatsu massage therapist that has extensively studied the art through Eastern medicine

2023-11-16 2:00 PM

Feet together lean over without touching floor, bending knees slightly and lean into the weaker glute to strengthen. Doing a Curtsy and leaning into weaker glute strengthens hamstring. I like to lean over with feet together and about 6 inches apart. I put my hands between my knees so balancing helps strengthen the weaker glutes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Glute muscles not firiing, anyone? Rss Feed