Endurance Development Series
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 53s
Overall Rank = 93/332
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/26
Pre-race routine:

Arrived 1.5 hours early. Picked up my packet, and set up my transition area all before the sun came up. Ate a peanut butter/honey protein bar on the ride up.
Event warmup:

Got in the pool and swam roughly 500 meters. Then took a very short run just to loosen up and to feel how my new shoes were going to feel.
Swim
  • 05m 29s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

Felt really good starting out having no one directly in front of me. In previous races I caught up to and had to pass people in front of me, so this was nice. I got passed by 2 swimmers and didn't put up a fight at all. I just maintained my pace and felt pretty good about this leg of the race.
What would you do differently?:

I could've manuvered under the lane lines quicker. I probably lost some time on these, but otherwise a pretty good swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

I moved well in T1. I actually left the transition area before the 2 swimmers that passed me did, and they were at least :30 ahead of me coming out of the water.

Nothing, felt good about T1.
Bike
  • 36m 32s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 20.36 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my best bike leg ever! Funny how quickly I'm improving on the bike. I really only ride 1-2 times per week and average about 35-50 miles/week.
Comparing this race to Riverwood which were the same distance, I cut 9 minutes off the bike leg alone!!! That's how much I've improved in 5 months.

I need to keep my pace up while taking in water. These were the only 3 times that I 'let up' at all, but I probably could've cut some time off if I had kept my pace up.
I'll have to look into a system that attaches to the bike that I only have to lean down and drink from a straw.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Really gassed at the end of the bike, so I got to the entrance to T2 and walked to my area (which was right at the entrance). Took my time putting on socks and shoes, and drank in some much needed water.

Nothing.
Run
  • 29m 22s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

For only doing triathlons for 1 year, and not really concentrating on running till a month ago, I think this was a fairly good time. I was still under 10:00/mile pace even though it took me 1+ mile to feel at all comfortable.

I need to try to push through the first part of the run till I get comfortable. I run very slowly coming out of T2.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water, ate 1/2 a banana and drank a Sprite. Did some light stratching, but over all felt good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training for the run. I need to work on this more than anything else in the off-season.

Event comments:

It was a great facility to host the event, hopefully it will be here next year. I had a great time.

Last updated: 2005-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:29 | 300 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/26
Overall: 47/332
Performance: Average
Had no one in front of me, I was #20 and #19 never showed for the race. So I had smooth water in front.
Suit: Knee-length Speedo
Course: Down & back then under the lane line.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:32 | 12.4 miles | 20.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/26
Overall: 45/332
Performance: Good
Time online says - 38:02, but this includes transition #1 which was about 1:30 for me. So I subtracted it out to come up with the 36:32.
Wind: Little
Course: 2 Laps on a smooth rural road. Not much traffic to deal with. One gradual incline that I had trouble finding the right gear in. It was too steep to be in the big ring, but when I dropped to the 2nd ring, it was too easy. So the 2nd lap, I kept it in the big ring, and it wore me out a bit, but I was going faster than in the 2nd ring.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:22 | 03.1 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/26
Overall: 192/332
Performance: Average
Time online says 31:22, but subtracted 2:00 for T2. I got to T2, and I was really laboring to catch my breath. I chased a 22 year old that passed me early on, and never let him get away, but I could never pass him either. We cursed each other in T2, but it made both of us go faster on the bike. Of course, he ran right away from me out of T2.
Course: Rolling hills. Some pavement, some path through the woods. Turn-around was on a packed gravel.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes