General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mental aspect of OWS Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-23 10:27 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: Mental aspect of OWS

I have my last tri of the season this Sunday...a .5 mile ocean swim.

I am not aggressive at all in the swim portion of my Tris. I let everyone go and have a hard time getting in the same groove I get in when I swim not in a race. In practice I get in a place where I don't think...I just swim and I feel relaxed and just go...I don't get to that place when racing. I breath turning my head to the right (working on bilateral but not very good) and do much better on clockwise swims...only one out of 6 races this year. This one is counterclockwise again. I swim a 30-40 strokes sighting as I go and then stop and look around and go at it again. I feel calm and not nervous. I don't like the washing machine feel of a mass start. Please give me some advice or mental thoughts I can focus on so I can do better and not keep stopping. Any ideas?

My tri swim history in brief: In my first and second tris I panicked big time in the swim. Third swim it was 58 degrees .6 mile swim and I focused on having fun (repeated I'm having fun during the swim) and almost didn't start, but did it came out of the water last. The mantra really helped me keep calm and finish the swim. I had a major swim break through in late June and now easily can swim over 2000 yds in a swim session. I have done lots of ows over the summer and have found it often takes me swimming 20+ minutes to get in the groove to do the continuos swimming and the not slow, stop and look around type I normally do in races. I think I may be cautious in my swims since I have had problems in the past....but I feel comfortable now doing ows. I am frustrated that I don't do my best while racing.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

2005-09-24 6:20 AM
in reply to: #252728

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: Mental aspect of OWS

The best way to get "comfortable" with the washing machine start is to do more races and not wait until everyone passes.  "Face your fear" is such a dumb sounding cliche but unfortunately it's quite true.

Mental aspect?  Perhaps you should think of the fact that it is incredibly difficult to drown.  Seriously.  If you inhale water into your lungs, you will not drown.  If you get smacked in the face/goggles, you will not drown.  If you get kicked in the head, you will not drown.

When you get more experience in the middle of the "washing machine" (aka face your fear) and then get bumped and nudged (aka you will not drown) you will become much better in the water.

Bottom line is that most people, believe it or not, feel the same way about getting bumped in the middle of the "washing machine" and if you think of that while swimming in a race and also take notice of when you bump and nudge others that they get out of your way, your confidence will sky rocket.  Besides, almost everyone is anxious or nervous before the start of the swim.  Hell, I've been racing for years and am anxious/nervous before swim starts but I still am able to mix it up with everyone regardless.

Remember that thing our mom's use to tell us about spiders and insects and snakes?  "They are more afraid of you than you are of them."  Well, this is quite true in the water of a race and a great thing to mentally focus on to raise your confidence.

Good luck and don't worry about drowning....it's extremely difficult.

Edited by Steve- 2005-09-24 6:21 AM

2005-09-24 7:54 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Maybe try starting to the outside instead of in the back....I grew up swimming in open water...I have a healthy respect for it.  I actually feel better swimming with people around me than out in the great big ocean all by myself.  I feel safer.  I guess because I swim by myself all the time in practice I feel like I am swimming with a bunch of buddies to keep me safe.  Remember you can always breast stroke for a while...it will keep people at a little more distance and it is easy to sight doing breast.  I know you will do great...put all those neagtive thoughts aside.  You KNOW you can do it...you have been here before.  When I did the race in CA there was fairly big surf to get out past and I just concentrated on gettting to the first bouy because then I knew I would be home free...Take it one buoy at a time.  then by the time you get half way there you will be all...." well I'm half done now I might as well finish"  I read a tip to put bright colored bands on both your wrists so you can see your hands in front of you.  A livestrong bracelet on each wrist would work perfect I bet.  GOOD luck...you will be fine

Edited by sue7013 2005-09-24 7:55 AM
2005-09-24 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Sounds like this has nothing to do with open water, but with the racing element of the tri. The washing machine is unavoidable, I used to start behind off to the side....I don't do that any more....let it happen, it isn't going to kill you....taking a more aggressive attitude may help you focus more on what you are going to do rather than what people are going to do to you....besides the field opens up in a matter of minutes and you can swim more normally.....open water races are not very efficient because of course sighting, chop, other swimmers, it's part of the deal, same as hills, bad terrain and wind in the other segments hurt your efficiency.
2005-09-24 2:36 PM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

I know what you mean. At my last two tri's I have totally panicked during the swim. I couldn't let everyone go ahead because the waves of people just kept on coming! I told myself not to stop but I did, and seeing alll the people everywhere made it worse.

I'm hoping that as I become a more confident swimmer, period, that I'll feel better swimming in a crowd.

2005-09-24 4:07 PM

Elite Veteran
KathyG, is your next swim a wave start separated by age and gender (i.e., only swimming with women)? If it is, I'd recommend starting in the middle to the left side. That way you can look at swimmers to your right so you don't have to sight so much.

If it is a mixed wave, I'd start 3/4s of the way back, again on the left. I've never been swum over or kicked or punched on a swim, but I don't go looking to mix it up with the guys either.

Since you've successfully done several OW swims, you know you'll have some incidental contact, especially at the start. So just remind yourself that you haven't worked as hard as you have just to lolligag around and avoid being touched. You get touched/bumped? No biggie. Expect it. Just keep swimming. Remind yourself how hard you've worked.

Another thing that works for me is to try to catch up to the swimmers in front of me. I usually don't, but it reminds me that my goal is to spend the shortest amount of time in the water as possible. Good luck tomorrow.

2005-09-24 5:14 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Thanks for all the advice.

I went to our local pond to get one more ows practice in this afternoon and you know what I kept stopping. First I was swimming even with the shore and when I would swim into a shadow and the water would change from green water to black water and I would look up wondering if I was way off course.

I did better the longer I swam but not terrific. I wondered if doing pools swimming I do open turns every 25 yds so that is my rythmn...go 25 stop turn go 25 yds...so I'm not really used to swimming 500 yds without stopping. I think doing an open turn every 25 yds lets me catch my breath better than straight freestyle...if that makes sense. Or it is a mental issue. I don't think I'm afraid of drowning. I stop when noone is around too.

I agree I need to be more competitive and my best swim on the year was a all women start with fast men after us...I drafted as the fast guys went by me. Tomorrow it looks like it will be all women in my wave...will go to the middle on the left so I can watch everyone else as I swim.

Another key is to stay positive. Last race I was with mostly men...and I got mad at myself for piddling along and having a breaststroking guy keep up with me. Negative thoughts beget negative thoughts....need to keep positive and do the best I can do.

Thanks!

2005-09-24 6:10 PM

Elite Veteran
Kathy, I really hate it when I can't pass the breast strokers so I can relate. But I wouldn't gauge today's effort with tomorrow's. I really hate swimming in OW when I'm all alone so don't worry about stopping each time your sight picture changed today. I think that is pretty normal.

And you've done enough "tourist" swims. You know, the looking around, taking pictures, wondering how everybody else is doing. I've done a lot of them myself, and there isn't anything wrong with it.

But tomorrow your mantra needs to be "RACE." You and I both know that in the end, how you place really doesn't matter unless you are a pro, so take any and all time goals off of your shoulders. You're looking at a way to try something new that doesn't make you last out of the water. So try a new swim strategy. You've worked so hard. Remember how hard you've worked. I'm really excited for you. And once again, good luck. Can't wait for the RR.
2005-09-24 8:14 PM
in reply to: #252910

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

lynda - 2005-09-24 7:10 PM And you've done enough "tourist" swims. You know, the looking around, taking pictures, wondering how everybody else is doing. I've done a lot of them myself, and there isn't anything wrong with it. But tomorrow your mantra needs to be "RACE."

That's great advice. Next season, I'm not gonna be a tourist, I'm gonna be a racer!

2005-09-25 8:53 AM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
I always just keep telling myself that I have swam a lot farther than the race distance. This seems to work for me. As far as sighting goes, a lot of people sight a lot but the keep moving while they are sighting....some breast stroke and some of the stronger swimmers just pick their head and chest out of the water for 3-4 freestyle strokes (can be very exhausting). Do not think you are the only one that is sighting. The frontrunners are doing it as well.
2005-09-25 10:18 AM
in reply to: #252900

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Tri is one of the few sports where such huge performance differentials show up for the same race, and it is inimidating, but also very cool! Even on this site, there are guys running sub 18 minute 5Ks! Okay, if you could be with a bunch of slugs, would that make you feel better? Don't say yes ;-)

2005-09-25 4:59 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: the good news

I love the idea that I was not our tourist but a racer and kept saying that over and over last night and this morning.

I thought I'd report in on how it went. I started with Isis54, Joanne 1st in her AG, in the last wave. As we waited to swim the waves continued to get larger and larger...lovely. Talking with her before the start really helped me stay calm and I didn't get the thoughts like normal...why am I doing this...is this fun? It was fun.

I started in the middle back on the left....Swim was a sort of a diamond shape. But just like all races within 50 yds everyone was ahead of me. It was wavy and I was trying to make sure I was going straight. I started swimming and counting strokes...get to 30 stroke cycles and I can take a little break at breast stroke...okay I did that feeling okay..not feeling bad I'm last. I kept counting and made it to the first bouy. Now swimming into the waves...two people are ahead of me...one from my wave and one from the previous...try to keep counting and going towards them. Was making about 60 strokes before a pause....make it around final bouy ...last bouy made a straight line sort of. This is the longest way...keep on counting...waves carrying me in. I made it counting up to 100 stroke cycles or 200 strokes before a pause. I feel in the groove...doing okay...feeling okay I've lost the other two, but I'm swimming, feeling calm and not stopping. I was gliding and riding the waves and I am actually having fun!! I finished feeling good kept my HR in the 140's and felt very positve about my swim. Sure I was last out of the water, but I would guess not the slowiest swimmer. I don't care if I was. I improved and that is what is important...I'm competing against me not all the other racers.

I wasn't a tourist...not sure I was a racer, but I did well for me. The ocean swimming demon is gone....great way to end the season.

2005-09-25 6:05 PM

Elite Veteran
Congrats, Kathy. What a fantastic and motivational end to your season. Nice job putting it all together.

You ARE a racer!
2005-09-25 6:28 PM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan
Congrats! It's great to hear that you stayed calm and did your own thing!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mental aspect of OWS Rss Feed