General Discussion Race Reports! » Carlos O'Brien's Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Carlos O'Brien's Olympic Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Peoria, Arizona
United States
Tri Family Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 51m 7s
Overall Rank = 28/160
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/12
Pre-race routine:

Started taking 100mg a day of Potasium to get rid of any possible race day cramping. Started doing this about 1 1/2 weeks prior to race day. On the last 2 days before I'll take 200mg a day to top off.

Start going over my bike 2 days before race and making sure everything is tight and working properly.

Event warmup:

I rented a wetsuit the day before the race...so did Ron. We went down to the water and practiced for 15 min in our new wetsuits. I LOVE WETSUITS!!!

I got to meet John and Robin from BT.com. This made for an excellent, get your mind off the pre-race jitters, that useually gives me butterflies. John got to tell, in person, his tragic but inspiring story about his race last year...that was awesome...and Robin was commenting on how she just loved all the guys who were wearing speedo's. She even mentioned she couldn't keep her eyes off them, I almost had to hold her back from jumping this one guy who was kinda hairy and with a huge black beard. Who woulda thought, Robin loves hairy dudes in speedo's LOL.

I can't wait to ride with her soon!
Swim
  • 28m 34s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

Since I was doing the Olympic distance I had to do 2 laps around the bouy's. As I was heading into the second lap you were supposed to swim past the starting point but not into it...well I sighted the starting bouys as the next bouy and ended up swimming about 50-100m off course.

Once I realized my mistake I swam double hard trying to make up for lost time. Normally I like to take the swim slow since it's my strong point and I can just cruise and save energy for the bike and run. I think I did a good job of making up time but I'll have to wait for the race report to find out for sure.
What would you do differently?:

Work on getting in some more open water swims and stop using other people as way points.
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

T1 could have been a little bit faster if I had put the baby powder in my socks. I always thought that it didn't make a difference so I decided not to use it this race. Word of advice for those who are reading this...it makes a world of difference.

Do the baby powder
Bike
  • 1h 21m 20s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 18.30 mile/hr
Comments:

Why do we have to dismount after the first lap...isn't that why they made it so the Oly guys wouldn't have to go through the transition area...so we wouldn't have to dismount and run through.

UGH!

I ran my front wheel into the back of the guy in front of me who stopped all of a sudden to get back on his bike. That was kinda funny. He almost crashed his nuts on the top tube of his bike, I appologized though.

Make sure I knock him off and run over him while he's down...no just kidding.

I had a goal of AVG 19MPH for the bike portion of the race. When I got to T2 my bike computer said I AVG'D 19.01, and I felt great!
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Had a little difficulty getting rid of some of the bike gear I had in my trisuit before taking off for the run but it was maybe 5 seconds.

Nothing, it was great.
Run
  • 58m 50s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I stopped to walk 2x...one of them I can live with, the other was me giving up. I stopped at the halfway turn around aid station as did everyone else I was competing with. I had a GU and two cups of water because I knew the next aid station was 1.5 miles away and it was going to be a tough 1.5 miles cause I had just ran it.

The second stop was just after the aid booth when we got back on pavement. There was a nice downhill that crossed a bridge and then a long up hill run. I stopped on the up hill. Somebody I had passed earlier came up on me and whispered "pick it back up"...he finished just 1 place ahead of me in the race and because of him I was able to refocus my mind.

Stash my hiking boots on the course and have a minni T3 shoe change.
Post race
Warm down:

Poured water all over my body...I should have gone back down to the lake and went for a swim.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The course...plain and simple, I wasn't ready for that type of off road conditions.

Event comments:

If this is going to be your first Oly...re-think your race schedule. I'm no pussy...even some of the top finishers that I talked to said they won't be doing this course again unless the run changes...there is a lot of injury risk involved when running on crappy surface like that when your already pushing hard.

I would recommend the sprint...it's still plenty challanging.

Last updated: 2005-09-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:34 | 1500 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 35/160
Performance: Average
I wore my HRM that and data recorder but did this race without the watch this year. I figured with the wetsuit that it would read but it was pretty speratic data so I'm not sure if any of it is even valid.
Suit: Wetsuit no arms
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:34
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:21:20 | 24.8 miles | 18.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 37/160
Performance: Good
My heart rate was high off the start after T1 but it steadily decreased through-out the bike course. I remember thinking that I wasn't huffing and puffing like I was at the begining when I was going into T2. I'm wondering if I could have pushed harder...but in retrospect, I needed all the energy that I had for the run.
Wind: Some
Course: I will never forget the image of the girl that crashed on lap 1. That really made me wonder if all this is worth the chance of that happening to me. So many people had bike issues this year...what in the world was on the ground, tacs? Funny story though...I got my bike home and by the next morning when I went to check it out the front tire was flat. I still haven't changed it yet to determine the route cause but I'm just glad it waited until the race was over. I suspect due to high heat in the back of my truck that the tube may have broke near the stem of the valve.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: n/a
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:58:50 | 06.2 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 27/160
My HR was on a decline from the get go on the bike but then it shot back up to the highest level while on the bike and remained there for the entire run. Looks like good data and I'd say it's just about what I's like to see for a perfect race.
Course: Can I say shitty on here? I'm never doing this Oly again due to the off road trails for this course. If they change the course to on the road hills instead I'd sign up no problem.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %n/a
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2005-10-04 6:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ
Subject: Carlos O'Brien's Olympic Triathlon

2005-10-04 11:25 PM
in reply to: #259495

User image

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
Subject: RE: Carlos O'Brien's Olympic Triathlon
Great race Casey! Only walking twice, holy crap thats great. I could only dream about walking so little on that course. I glad you enjoy my tale from last year.

Once again, great job!
2005-10-04 11:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, right hairy guys in speedos...you forgot to add, unless you're under 25 DO NOT WEAR SPEEDOS!!!

It was so nice meeting you finally and your lovely wife and baby.  We will ride soon!

Great race.
2005-10-05 3:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ

Well there goes my hopes for wearing a speedo then...

P.S.

My first tri I did in a speedo (the intire race) which was a sprint distance...I wonder if I can dig up pictures from that event.  It was bad, I had no tan, out of shape love handles, and to top it off nasty body hair on my legs.  Come to think of it I think I looked like that guy we saw Robin except he had a few things I didn't.

That was the last time I wore those speedo's that I had owned from highschool when I weighed 135.  I knew I had to invest in something less eye catching!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carlos O'Brien's Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed