General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cramping hamstring. What to do? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-10 7:33 AM

New user
Subject: Cramping hamstring. What to do?
Well I went out for a metric century the other day. At mile 31 I dismounted to switch water bottles. When I bend my leg to get off the bike I get a real intense pain in my hamstrings. I stretch for awhile and then I feel okay to get back on the bike. I nurse it a little but it doesn't seem to give me problems. I ride up a few big hills then at mile 45 something hits and sticks to my tire. I get off and again when i bend my leg I get INTENSE pain in my hamstrings. It hurt so bad when I did that I though I had just shredded my hamstring. I stretch for 15 minutes then slowly ride to the next town to use a phone (cell wasnt' working) so anyways I massage the hell out of it, stretch, and now it feels fine. What happened?

2005-10-10 8:02 PM
in reply to: #262542

User image

Expert
WV
Subject: RE: Cramping hamstring. What to do?
You had been sitting in a shortened position for 45 miles. The hamstring had adapted to a slightly shortened position. WHen you bent over to stretch, you changed the muscle length greatly and quickly. The quick lenghtening of the muscle belly was a little bit of a shock to the system and the system responded with pain.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cramping hamstring. What to do? Rss Feed