General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question on different phases of training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-11 11:32 AM

Subject: Question on different phases of training
I have been reading a book on offseason training and the triathletes bible. My question is this. Are the prep and base phases the offseason work and is the build phases the in season? So, are the training plans that are offered on this website considered the build phase because they are 16 to 20 weeks out from the race. Prior to these plans I would want to establish my prep and base training. Is this correct? Do I get it? Thanks, Donna

2005-10-11 11:42 AM
in reply to: #263418

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Question on different phases of training

Some of the basic plans on this site are really just "base".  They get you in a position to finish the distance.  Some of the more specific plans (e.g. Beginner 1/2 IM), actually have their own periodization built into them (prep, base, build, etc.) but assume that when you start them you already have a certain level of fitness base built up.

If you are starting from scratch, using the couch-to plans is a pretty safe way to start building your fitness and get you to the starting line of your race.

2005-10-11 12:52 PM

The problem is I am in great shape. I already swim 2000 or more yards( was on high school and college teams) , can run 45-60 minutes, and bike for 60 minutes. I take spin classes and have been lifting weights for years. I am very strong and even though I am a first time triathlete and I am not inexperienced as far as training goes. So the couch program you have is too easy. Even the beginnings of some of the beginning programs are far to low in volume for my level. That is why I am trying to design my own program and I just want to understand the components to it. I work as a personal trainer and group instructer so I am used to designing plans and workouts. I am just new to planning a program for a triathlon and could use advice. I need something more than beginner but less than the other programs I guess. Maybe an article on how to design your own individualized off and on season programs would be an awesome idea for those of us who wish to do so. Anyway, let me know what you think. Thanks, Donna

Edited by donnajo 2005-10-11 12:53 PM
2005-10-11 1:49 PM
in reply to: #263493

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

In that case the TTB should give you a pretty good idea how to design a program.  Start by picking out your A race(s).  Put these on the calandar as Race week.  Then start working backwards (taper, build, base, etc.).  Usually each block is 3-4 weeks with the last week of the block a "recovery" week.  Then you set up the actual workouts by using the guidelines from the book. 

I'd suggest taking a look at the 1/2 IM plan on this site which follows this type of outline.  Also, you might want to check out Training Plans for Multisport Athletes which has some more plans built on the TTB model.

2005-10-11 1:53 PM

Thank you. I will check that book and the programs out . Donna
2005-10-11 2:07 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Your volume is going to depend on your goals - sprint or IM.  According to TTB, select your 'A' races and plan backwards from them, especially your first of the season.  The keys to any plan are acquiring enough sport-specific base to handle the rigors of the build period, and spending the right amount of time in build to increase your performance but not so much where you injure yourself or burn out.  I think Friel's typical periodization plan calls for 8-12 weeks of build phases, at least for Olympic distance. 

Edited by wyecrab 2005-10-11 2:08 PM

2005-10-11 6:11 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

Donna,

Tudor Bompa who is the father of the periodization principle breaks down your year into macrocycles (can be a year or two years) Mesocycles (months, i.e base, build, speed phases) and Microcycles (week or a few days). By doing this you are letting your body rest and recover when it needs to, build aerobic base to begin the season with a strong foundation, build phases to overtrain and recover, speed work, and a taper phase that will deliver you to the start line of your "A" race uninjured and in peak form. What may seem easy now is laying the foundation for your upcoming season, patience is the key. Overtraining now only leads to burn out and you peaking sometime in March (not good when your "A" race is in June!!). It sounds like you have a great base of fitness already built up so you might want to work on technique during the winter. Good Luck in  your training.

2005-10-12 6:51 PM

Thanks everyone. Does anyone have any suggestions on what books or websites would be good to look at for developing the individual workouts for each phase. I really want to learn how to design my plan on my own. Its the trainer in me. I tend to overcomplicate things though and drive myself nuts. Anyone have advice on keeping it simple. I tend to over analyze and think everything. Sometimes the more you know is not always better. Any advice appreciated before I overcomplicate things. I feel like each workout has to be planned and have a reason or focus and right now I am just getting out there and running, biking , and swimming for endurance. The swimming and strenght training are the places I am comfortable designing workouts for. Its the running and biking. For them I just do one long and one short workout a week and that is as specific as it gets. donna
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question on different phases of training Rss Feed