General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hal Higdon's Marathon training + tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-13 10:50 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Subject: Hal Higdon's Marathon training + tri
I had planned to do a 1/2 marathon in early Feb, but the post about the Mardi Gras Marathon got me thinking....could I do a full marathon 16 weeks from now?

Found Hal Higdon's novice marathon guide: http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00novice.htm
My current schedule for this week is almost identical to his week 2, actually just a tad more than what he suggests. I could easily jump into week 3 of his schedule on Monday, which would put me exactly right for either of the marathons I'd like to do in Feb.

My question is this -- I have only been running for just over a year, only been training for triathlon for just over a year. I consider myself to have a good level of fitness to embark on just about anything I want to do at this point, as long as I do it sensibly. I can fit the marathon training into my schedule timewise and not drop my committment to swimming 3x a week. I can hopefully stick with the strength training, too. I meet all of Higdon's requirements but he's not tacking tri training on top of his marathon training. With only a year of running behind me, am I taking on too much to start marathon training?

I'm not looking for the usual rah-rah-you-can-do-it that this board is so wonderful about. I know I can do it if I want to. I just don't want my swimming and strength training to suffer. The cycling is a conscious decision to let slide, since I'm only doing sprints again next year...not that 20K on a bike is easy, but it's easy to get back to my level of cycling for that distance in a short period of time. I want guidance on if I'm being realistic, or overreaching like I usually do.

2005-10-13 10:59 AM
in reply to: #264642

User image

Master
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Hal Higdon's Marathon training + tri
all rah -rah aside- why not ? When is your first tri and when is your ist "A" race- would consider that-
If you are letting cycling "slide"- running & swimming are perfectly complimentry- if you have the time to put in - no hx of injuries- WHY NOT ???
2005-10-13 11:04 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Oh, yeah, should've put that info, thanks isis. First tri of 06 would be end of April, and I don't really have any "A" races at this point -- they're mostly for fun, mini-vacations, and progress indicators.
2005-10-13 11:09 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

No one here is less rah-rah or more pragmatic than I, but I really think you have the base, and have time to implement the training program before Mardi Gras, so go for it, I'll see you there!

I'm a big fan of Higdon's plan, simple yet effective.

Not a big fan of dropping the cycling, though. Cycling is the best thing I've done to improve my running, allows you to work the "non-running" muscles in your legs to give you balance and improves your aerobic conditioning in a non-impact setting. I'd heartily recommend that you maintain the cycling at least two (preferably three) times per week, at least an hour at a time. Do it on Hal's cross-training days, and/or as an evening workout to compliment your morning run.

2005-10-13 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
I've used both Higdon's beginner and Intermediate 1 training plans for the marathon's I've run and found them to do the trick VERY nicely. That said - the beginner plan will do just what it promises -- get you to the finish line. If you want to "perform" in the marathon, my opinion is that you will want to do at least the Intermediate level training. I've had several friends do the intermediate plan for their first marathon, and they have also done very well with it.

Now -- I'm not Rah-Rahing you here, but with your training base, you should have absolutely NO problem training with either of those programs and having a successful marathon. I personally went from COUCH POTATO to finishing my first marathon in 7 months time, and on to complete a total of 5 to date. So with your current base level of training -- no sweat! (Well you'll sweat a lot -- but you get the drift )

As how to coincide with your swimming/biking/tri training, I can't really say, as I'm still training for my first triathlon, but I would certainly want to do things to maintain that base. Of course, keep in mind that Higdon plans at least one day a week for cross training activities. Maybe you could get your bike ride in then.

At any rate -- Go for it! It's a great experience!

2005-10-13 11:51 AM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
I agree with Bear, I would scale back the weight training in favor of the bike. I'm scheduled for my first marathon 12 Nov and have been using the Intermediate Level I training plan which I jumped into at week 10 after my last tri. Even with this plan I could have kept up on my tri training, with the built in cross training and doubling up on short run days. I plan on incorporating the training cycles in this plan into my 1/2 IM training for the spring. Also, from what I've read, I'm not sure that weight training is going to provide much help to running the marathon. I think that the weight training would be more beneficial during base training.

Ernie

2005-10-13 12:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
Well, the average long-distance running plan has 5-6 days of running a week, right? A long run, a key workout (hills, fartlek, etc.) and 3-4 days of "garbage mileage". No, these aren't really garbage miles, but their main function is to keep you primed for the key workouts. You can cross-train some of these miles - just try to keep it equivalent in terms of time & intensity. I plan to use this approach ramping up to the marathon, because I find boredom to be a limiting factor, especially after dreadmilling 8 miles last night.

Maybe I'll see you in February!
2005-10-13 1:36 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Thanks all. I'm going to do it. It just fits too neatly into my already-planned winter training to not go for it.

And Bear, I knew you were going to chastise me for dropping cycling. I WILL get back to cycling, I know how good it is for running. But I hate it, so I had to take a break from it. November, I'm back to it.

Talking to the SO about logistics of getting to the Mardi Gras marathon...I think this one will be very special. If that's not worth training for, nothing is. Hopefully will see some of ya'll there.
2005-10-13 1:45 PM
in reply to: #264754

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

madeye - 2005-10-13 12:36 PM Thanks all. I'm going to do it. It just fits too neatly into my already-planned winter training to not go for it. And Bear, I knew you were going to chastise me for dropping cycling. I WILL get back to cycling, I know how good it is for running. But I hate it, so I had to take a break from it. November, I'm back to it. Talking to the SO about logistics of getting to the Mardi Gras marathon...I think this one will be very special. If that's not worth training for, nothing is. Hopefully will see some of ya'll there.

Cool. Let me know if you want any insight into the event or the course. I've done it (half or full) each of the past four years. Of course, everything is subject to change in this brave new world. The promoters claim this will be the " the first major sporting event back in New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina brought the Crescent City to its knees on that dark Monday morning in August."

http://www.mardigrasmarathon.com/article.php?story=pr1.marathonison

2005-10-13 1:53 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Madeye,

Go for it. I'm on Hal's plan (thanks bear) and it's awesome. In fact because I was training for a HIM I was already well into week four. But started over because I got the time. Here's to our first marathon. Woo Hoo.

2005-10-13 2:40 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

Wow, major deja-vu.

My '05 season begain in October of '04 when I started the Higdon beginner plan for my first marathon in NOLA at the end of February. I also planned my first Half Iron at White Lake NC in the beginning of May

You can check my logs for the beginning of this year to see how I did. As others have said, the Higdon beginner plan will get you to the finish line. In my case, I was truly a little disappointed in my results. My predictors (1:45 1/2 mara and 44:00 10k) would have had me finish the maraton better than the 4:35 I posted. Of course, I do place some blame on my own eagerness to show my wife all the cool stuff in NOLA (she had never been there).

Likewise, my half iron did not go exactly as I had hoped (2:25 run after a 0:42 swim and a 2:48 bike for a 6:02) I cooked my legs on the bike. I believe that my focus on marathon training at the expense of bike base miles was a big factor here.

So. Yes you can do a marathon on 16 weeks of training. I'd reccommend more long runs than Higdon puts in his plan, I'd also reccommend that if you do the New Orleans Marathon that you save the dining and drinking and sight seeing until after the race. Hell, you get a right proper city tour on the race route.

I am seriously entertaining the notion of running the half this year even though my training plan is geared towards sprint and oly races.

good luck, run slow (for a long time)

2005-10-13 3:00 PM
in reply to: #264804

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2005-10-13 1:40 PM

You can check my logs for the beginning of this year to see how I did. As others have said, the Higdon beginner plan will get you to the finish line. In my case, I was truly a little disappointed in my results. My predictors (1:45 1/2 mara and 44:00 10k) would have had me finish the maraton better than the 4:35 I posted. Of course, I do place some blame on my own eagerness to show my wife all the cool stuff in NOLA (she had never been there).

So. Yes you can do a marathon on 16 weeks of training. I'd reccommend more long runs than Higdon puts in his plan.

This is what Higdon's novice plan is designed to do: get you to the finish line. My first word of advice to virgin marathoners is to forego any time goals and focus on finishing (there are exceptions, Joel ). Given that goal, Higdon's novice plan is perfect.

If you insist on time goals, I would point you to Higdon's Intermediate plans, which have 2 and 3 20+-mile runs, or better yet, to Pfitzinger and Douglas' Advanced Marathoning.

2005-10-13 3:02 PM
in reply to: #264819

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

Yep, the time goals disappeared at mile 14.

I probably should have drunk more beer along the route.

2005-10-13 3:06 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Bear -- yeah, any information would of course be appreciated. I spent some time on the site...it will be interesting to see if they can stick to their route. I haven't been through some of those areas in a long, long time.

Ride_like...NO is pretty much home for me, so I can probably lay off the sightseeing the night before. I'm definitely in the "just finish" camp -- crossing the finish line before cutoff time will be enough for me, this first time, so if Higdon's plan can get me there I'm happy with it. Glad to see so many here have used that particular plan.

Now the big, big, big deal -- I really will scout up my HRM that I tossed away long ago and start using it to train with. I figure if I'm doing all this slow running, I ought to do it right. YOU PEOPLE HAVE CORRUPTED ME.
2005-10-13 3:28 PM

Online or Offline

Could I at least be credited to starting the corruption process??

Congrats on deciding to do the marathon!! I'm going to see how well my body recovers from Marine Corps before deciding on Mardi Gras....

2005-10-13 3:42 PM
in reply to: #264855

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA

My first mary will be the MGM.  I am also doing the Hal Higdon beginner plan.  I did his 1/2 Mary plan and liked it.  I was going to White Rock but I just had too many breaks in my training with everything going on.

2005-10-14 8:42 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Well I talked to the SO and reviewed the finances, and a mini-vacation to New Orleans in Feb isn't going to be able to happen moneywise. So I won't see ya'll there, but I see on the site where I can still send them some cash and get a shirt, so will go that route.

If anybody is on the East Coast near Savannah GA, I'll be doing the Tybee Marathon instead. Guess I'll do MGM in 07.

I never in my life thought the words "I'll be doing the X marathon" would appear.

So for those who did Higdon's novice plan -- I run really slowly. The longest run he has planned is 20 miles. For me, that additional 6.2 is going to be well over an hour. Does that make any difference, or is it assumed that if you can run 4 hours you can run 5 and just won't notice?

I know this has been asked before, so I'll go hunt around. Right now that just seems almost insurmountable -- nearly 5 hours of running. That's a hell of a lot. I guess I'll use it as an excuse to buy an ipod.
2005-10-14 2:12 PM
in reply to: #265145

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

madeye - 2005-10-14 7:42 AM So for those who did Higdon's novice plan -- I run really slowly. The longest run he has planned is 20 miles. For me, that additional 6.2 is going to be well over an hour. Does that make any difference, or is it assumed that if you can run 4 hours you can run 5 and just won't notice? I know this has been asked before, so I'll go hunt around. Right now that just seems almost insurmountable -- nearly 5 hours of running. That's a hell of a lot. I guess I'll use it as an excuse to buy an ipod.

Sorry you won't make it down this way, but Tybee has a decent reputation as well: flat, well-supported, though a double loop is not my favorite course structure. Also looks to be considerably smaller than MG, with ~300 finishers.

Yeah, traditional thought is that "if you can finish 20, you can finish 26.2." Very few novice plans have you running over 20, even most advanced plans rarely go over 22 for the long run. If anything, you will find coaches out there that tell you that runs over three hours are counter-productive. I tend to disagree with this philosophy, especially as it applies to slower runners. If your target is 5 hours (~11:30 pace), then your training pace might be 12:30 to 13 minutes per mile. At 12:30 pace, you can cover less than 14.5 miles in three hours. I'm not sure I would have anyone attempt to run a marathon with a long run of less than 14.5 miles. Twenty miles at that pace would take 4:10.

Five hours of running ain't nothing but a thing, girl!

2005-10-14 2:23 PM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

Have you considered FIRST to the Finish Training Program? It's three runs per week, at least two crosstraining sessions (or one easy run). The only thing is that the weekly runs can be pretty intense with one tempo and one interval workout a week. I'm working my way through the program and it offers a nice variety of workouts to keep me from getting bored. Just a thought...

2005-10-14 2:33 PM
in reply to: #265417

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
marina - 2005-10-14 1:23 PM

Have you considered FIRST to the Finish Training Program? It's three runs per week, at least two crosstraining sessions (or one easy run). The only thing is that the weekly runs can be pretty intense with one tempo and one interval workout a week. I'm working my way through the program and it offers a nice variety of workouts to keep me from getting bored. Just a thought...

Marina,

Don't know if you intended to post this one, but the reason it's so intense is because it's their program for experienced marathoners looing to improve their times. Their Finish with FIRST program is the one for beginners.

2005-10-14 2:36 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Tybee is pretty small, although the 1/2 marathon that happens at the same time is over 1000 people. That's about as big as events get down here, except for the dreaded Bridge Run.

Thanks for the answer about the long run / race day gap. Thinking about it in terms of time, it makes sense...if I do 20 miles at a 12:30 training pace, and I'm shooting for an 11:30 marathon pace, then the actual time gap isn't all that much. I have so much to learn. Thanks again.

2005-10-14 2:48 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Marina,

Yes, I saw this in Runner's World. The volume of training on the beginner's plan isn't too different from Higdon's plan, and I had no intention of dropping my speed and tempo days when starting up the marathon training unless it just seemed too much. Thanks for reminding me about this, I like the structure of their workouts and it wouldn't hurt me to take a look at what they're doing. And I had been trying to remember where I saw "speed" and "tempo" defined in terms of current race pace, and this was it, so thanks!

Higdon's plan fits my schedule a little bit better right now.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hal Higdon's Marathon training + tri Rss Feed