General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help deciding to run HM or not (long) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-04 10:31 AM

User image

, Texas
Subject: Help deciding to run HM or not (long)
I really don't have a strong itch to run a HM, but I need motivation for my training.

Background info:
In March of this year, I started exercising after a 12 year lazy-fest. By mid May I was up to a 6 mi. long run and started really getting into tri training which held my long run at 6 mi or less. I picked up cycling and swimming and have completed two sprint tris this year.

Now, I plan on being a "recreational" triathlete (job and two young kids take up plenty of time) with a couple of each sprint and oly tris for 2006. My 2-5 year goals being completing 2-4 tris per year of which would be mostly Oly and 1 HIM per year. Basically, I really like the crosstraining required to complete tris and the tris will keep me motivated to not fall back into the lazy-fest I found myself in when I started my real job.

I had also planned on upping my long run to 8 mi this offseason, but now am contemplating running a HM in the beginning of April.

I have found a HM plan from Hal Higdon that calls for 3 days running, 1 day cross, and 1 day run or cross. This would fit well into my current schedule, although I would only have 1 day of pure rest as opposed to two. I really don't know if I'm to the point where I should be concerned about running a HM or just continue with my general training.

2005-11-04 10:52 AM
in reply to: #278056

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: RE: Help deciding to run HM or not (long)
Running a half-mary would only improve your tri times (sprint, oly or HIM) as it builds upon your core endurance run muscles ... and by the time the run comes for me, I need all of the training I can fall back upon.

A good number of tri-training plans call for overloading on discipline for a while. You can use the half-mary training as your overload for the run.

Just my 2 psi ...

PS: BTW, think it is great that you would contemplate both - lazyfest days are overrate (unless thee is a good football game on!)
2005-11-04 11:12 AM
in reply to: #278056

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Help deciding to run HM or not (long)

Only you can decide if you actually want to run one, but half-marathon training would certainly benefit your pursuit of your goals. A half marathon is a very sane distance, you can train for one by running less than 20 miles per week, very stress free and easy to fit into anyone's schedule, less than four hours per week at most paces.

I'd say, "Why not?"

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help deciding to run HM or not (long) Rss Feed