General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kid tri training guide/plan (Meek & mighty) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-04 10:50 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: Kid tri training guide/plan (Meek & mighty)
My son is 6 and has indicated that he wants to do a kids only tri our YMCA is looking at doing next spring. He is on the YMCA swim team now and loves to ride his bike and run. I haven't started to look around for an entry level training guide/plan for kids, is there such a thing? If not this would be a great addition on BT!

Looks like the distances for kids of this age (typicall 7-10) are around 100 yards swim, 3 miles or so bike and 1/2-1 mile run. I want to keep it fun for him and at the same time let him learn what it involves. I don't want to pressure him and will let him decide the course whether or not he actually does it or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Don

2005-11-04 7:56 PM
in reply to: #278088

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Kid tri training guide/plan (Meek & mighty)

I've looked around before and never found anything. If you find something pass it along, please. It is exciting to have your son want to do a tri. I worry about them doing to much or pushing themselves to much. I like that many kid tris have increasing distances as you get older so the oldest kids are doing 50-70% of a regular sprint but usually lighter on the run.

For my daughters just turned 11 and 9, we worked around their soccer and track/cross country schedule which gave us 3 days a week to do stuff.

My oldest daughter took training very seriously. She did a duathlon last Sunday. We found a course in our neighborhood that was the same distance and she practiced 2-3 times a week..she'd run, bike, run. It helped her learn how to pace herself and she took the hilly route which helped her biking. She won her AG by about 15% less time than #2. Most kids don't really train.

For tris, I'd take the girls outside, make them get their feet wet and run around a tree 10 times, then practice transtioning to the bike, then after biking onto the run. It helped them do better in transtions. Many kids really lollygag along in transtions. We'd go to the pool at family swim time, I'd do laps, the girls would play and once or twice during the time, they come do laps. Your son sounds like he is way far ahead of my girls in swimming sills.

I found from doing 2 kids tris and a duathlon, many kids need more help at pacing themselves and also with transtions.

Emily our oldest wants to do a sprint tri with me next year. She is over 5' and should be able to do it. I asked my coach about tri'ing for her and he just said she needs to build up her run distance 3-4 weeks before the event. I am trying to get her to do a long run each week but she resists the idea, so I drop it. But when she brings up training and what she should do I suggest it again. She also thinks riding her bike 10-15 miles is daunting. She is amazing and flies up the hills and really doesn't know what  all she can do. I often ride with her about 20' or 5 miles at the start of my bike rides and use it as a warm up and then drop her off at home and go. I would go with her on her run-bike-runs, but would ride the whole time since she runs much faster than I do. I like doing some of my training with my kids...you may try that.

We are thinking of making up a calendar for them so they have a trainning plan like I do.

2005-11-04 10:19 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
It's nice to be able to train with your kids.  Sadly, I was never faster at my mother in running, despite having played running sports all my life.  She started "jogging" at about age 45, mabye a little younger.  The Great Race in Pittsburgh (see my recent race report) was her first race back then, and she won her age group!

I could probably outrun her now, but that's only because she tore her achilles last year and is still rehabing it.  She visited me in Colorado and I was a little nervious biking with her...I was out of breath keeping pace with her around town!  She's pretty amazing, I'm lucky to have gotten good genes from her, and your kids are lucky to have gotten good sticktoitiveness genes from you!
2005-11-05 6:39 AM

I would be interested in this also. DS7 has found out about Ironkids tri & wants to do one next year. I think it's great for him, just need to figure out training.
2005-11-05 6:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
My 9 year old did a tri last year and loved it.  I agree with the need to practice transitions and pacing.  The cool thing about triathlons for kids is that many of them (at least mine!) spend their summers swimming, biking, & running - so it's a natural.  My son is a swimmer so that's not an issue, but the run pacing has been important.  He has done some 5Ks with me this fall and he's starting to figure out what he needs to do to finish and still feel good. (He's obviously a faster study than his mom).  I think we will work on a training schedule for him as well; adding biking and running as cross-training for his 4 days a week in the pool would be a help.
2005-11-05 11:46 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

My 10 year old did 2 kid's tris last year.  Basically I just tried to encourage her to swim, bike or run most days.   A lot of times I would take my cel phone with me when I biked or ran, and I'd give her a call when I was 5 minutes away from home, then her workout was my cooldown.  Closer to race date we did a practice tri on the actual course, altho it was shorter than her race. We did a couple of very short bricks too. 

She's not very athletically inclined so my goal was to keep it fun and low pressure, just to get her active.  She had a lot of fun and is already talking about next season!  Which means I have ANOTHER bike to buy

Edited by CindyK 2005-11-05 11:46 PM

2005-11-06 7:03 AM
in reply to: #278977

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
CindyK - 2005-11-05 10:46 PM
She had a lot of fun and is already talking about next season!  Which means I have ANOTHER bike to buy

Cindy, I can think of a whole lot of much worse things to have to buy for your kid! Man I can;t wait to have kids, seeing them emerge into little people, with goals and interests, must be so cool!
2005-11-06 9:05 AM
in reply to: #279005

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
possum - 2005-11-06 7:03 AM

CindyK - 2005-11-05 10:46 PM

Cindy, I can think of a whole lot of much worse things to have to buy for your kid! Man I can;t wait to have kids, seeing them emerge into little people, with goals and interests, must be so cool!

Yeah, me too Possum! I actually can't wait to take her shopping...there are 2 companies that sell bikes small enough. She sez she might want to start riding with the club too.

And you are right Possum. My older girls turned 14 yesterday, they are so grown up with so many thoughts flying in their heads...it's coolest thing EVER!
2005-11-06 10:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA
My 10 year old daughter did two tri's this summer....she was 9 then, and just did her first duathlon last week.

When she saw that I was preparing for a tri she really wanted to do one too. She has been on a swim team before so she was prepared for that ,but didn't really train consistently for the bike and run. I didn't want to push her too much and take the fun out of it. She is not that athletically inclined but she finished both tris and was really proud of herself.

Now when she did the duathlon she hadn't practiced at all and she came in last in her age group and was a little bummed out.
I have to say that she was TOTALLY impressed by Kathy G's daughter Emily, who came in 1st place. GO EMILY!!! She was really awesome Kathy!!
I told her that Emily practices several times a week. So now she has been out running and biking ever since.
We have done 2 5K road races together this fall and she does the run/walk. She really enjoys getting the t shirts and she pins all her race numbers to her bulletin board.
Your son sound like he'll do fine already with his background. I would encourage him to train little with you, but don't push if he doesn't want to. Most likely he will still finish the race and feel good about himself.
2005-11-06 5:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Add me to the list if you find anything! My son has shown interest while my daughter has not. He is 6 and has jogged with me a little. I tell he has to run at a pace where he can chit-chat - which was about a 11-minute mile. He has done mtn bike races (kid's course) but has not done any swim events. He doesn't really like swimming.

Now, now my 8-year old daughter loves to swim, but doesn't like competition. Not her thing. That is OK.
2005-11-06 11:47 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio, TX
I also have a son who has show quite a bit of interest after watching me train. He already spends the fall on the football team and the winter on the wrestling team. Summer tris should fit right in. I'm just not sure how to have him train. Any info would be great.

Thanks,
Dave

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kid tri training guide/plan (Meek & mighty) Rss Feed