Pacific Sports, LLC
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 50s
Overall Rank = 63/636
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/58
Pre-race routine:

Wake up, stretch, eat breakfast (banana + milk), stretch more, listen to iPod, set up area, stretch more...never did feel loose today.
Event warmup:

stretching and 100 meters of swimming
Swim
  • 13m 25s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

course was a bit different this year. Turn bouys were hard to see in the water because they were so far out. Race starter kept telling the waves to stay near the boats when you pass the pier (pack kept drifting right, then having to come back left to the bouy).... this helped a lot. After the turn, I got cut off by a boat that was floating in the water --a few of us had to make hard turns around the boat to get back into the main pack.... things were very crowded near the pier.

Time was a bit worse than last year, but I think the distance was longer/closer to the reported distance.

Goal: 15:24 Actual: 13:25 +/-: 1:59 under
What would you do differently?:

Be more careful when I dove into the water. I never dive into the water at the start, but today I did. I then had to swim the 1st 200 with a goggle full of sea water. What was I thinking?
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Forgot to hit the lap button when I left T1. Had a bad transition spot this year. Hard to find, no room to maneuver. Slowed everything down a bit. Had trouble getting left foot into pedal before the first hill. Also, I had to walk a ways from the water exit to my spot because it was so crowded with people. That sucked.

Goal: 1:40 Actual: 1:50 +/-: 0:10 over

Get to race earlier to get better spot.
Bike
  • 41m 30s
  • 9.94 miles
  • 14.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Tried to push it on the bike a bit more this year. Ended up beating last year's time by almost 4 minutes.

Almost died on the first lap downhill. Came around a tight switchback in the shade. Road was still wet. The bike slid to the outside of the turn in about 0.00000036 seconds. Luckily, it regained traction right about the time I figured out what was going on. Didn't leave the road, but I could have.

There were LOTS of crashes this year. Saw the ambulance a few times and there were scads of people bloodied and bruised throughout the course.

I was passed by two people on the bike: one a guy in my age group that ended up beating me by a few minutes overall. The other was a woman that in any other situation would be considered overweight and out of shape. I had passed her on the downhill and she returned the favor on the long flat on the end of the loop. I was passing people easily doing 25mph. She came around me on her aero bars. I ended up passing her when the road started to bend again, but props to her for hammering on the open road.

I keep hoping to get average pace on this race over 15mph, but the hills and turns just keep that from happening.

Goal: 38:24 Actual: 41:30 +/-: 3:06 over

Be more careful on the downhill, push harder on the flats.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Back to the bad transition spot. Had to move people's things so I could rack my bike. Then had no room to get shoes on. Had to stand/sit in the sand to get stuff on. Ended up with lots of sand in the shoes, but didn't have any problem with it on the run (thankfully!).

The one good thing was that my transition spot was right by the bike entry/exit. Required no time to get there.

Goal: 1:28 Actual: 1:22 +/-: 0:06 under

Get there earlier to grab a better spot. Also, need to train without socks to get to the point where I don't need them anymore on sprints.
Run
  • 23m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Mile 1: 7:55
Mile 2: 9:35
Mile 3: 6:13

There is just no way to prepare for this run segment. It certainly tests your will and your physical conditioning. It gets constantly steeper on the way out. By the time you turn, your spirit can be completely broken.

Was passed by probably 2 dozen people today. I thought I'd been doing enough hill training, but apparently not. My pace slowed to a crawl as I got to the turn around. When I turned, I tried to fly, but the legs were shot. Right hamstring was on the verge of cramping/popping. Left shin was screaming. Thought I might ramp up the final few hundred yards, but the legs wouldn't respond.

Comparing times, it shows that I was almost a minute slower on this leg this year. I should have been able to beat that time.

Goal: 22:44 Actual: 23:43 +/-: 0:59 over

Do more hill work. Do more speed work. Find more heart.
Post race
Warm down:

Eat some oranges, cheer on my fellow racers, stretch a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still missing speed work in my training. Plus, need to stretch more regularly. Tight hammie killed my final run.

This was my best race this year in terms of mental state. Was competitive and focused throughout (except for a few minutes there toward the top of the hill on the run).

Event comments:

I still love this race. It's hard, it's well organized, and it has a great atmosphere. It's a great year-end race to see how fit you are.

The roads are more and more potholed, which need to be addressed.

Going in, I wanted to get a top 10 finish in my age group and top 100 overall. I ended up 11th and 63rd overall. I'll take that as meeting my goals. If I hadn't bonked a bit on the run, I could have made both goals.

HRM: 1:54 above, 1:02:47 w\in zone, 2:38 below zone.

Overall Goal: 1:19:22 Actual: 1:21:50 +/-: 2:28 over

Last updated: 2005-11-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:25 | 800 meters | 01m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 22/58
Overall: 160/636
Performance: Good
Water had some swell to it today. Had trouble getting air, but didn't swallow too much water.
Suit: Xterra Ventilator Long John
Course: Out on north side of pier straight to bouy turn right, go 20 meters, turn right and return to shore on south side of pier.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:50
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:30 | 9.94 miles | 14.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/58
Overall: 39/636
152 average BPM 163 max on hills 140 on downhills Cadence on hills: 65-70 Cadence on flats: 90
Wind: None
Course: 3 times up and over the hill to the Wrigley hotel. Hard cornering on downhills, two steep sections on uphill
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 75
Turns: Below average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:23:43 | 03.11 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/58
Overall: 156/636
Performance: Below average
159 average BPM 162 max 156 min Had planned on really red lining on the second half. Didn't get myself to do it.
Course: Uphill the whole way to the turn around. Gets much steeper after mile 1 marker. All downhill on the way back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes