General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike insurance? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-20 12:35 AM

User image

Walla Walla, WA
Subject: bike insurance?
Does anyone know anything about bike insurance? How much does it cost? Where do you get it? What does it cover?

Anyone?
-S

2004-04-20 7:54 AM
in reply to: #20209

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: bike insurance?
Your bike should be covered under your home insurance. Ask your agent just to be on the safe side.
2004-04-20 9:28 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: Be VERY careful about using home insurance
Your bike may be covered by home insurance, but that is probably the LAST thing you want to use. You should never use your home insurance for losses under $10k. The insurance companies are having a really tough time right now and are likely to drop ANYONE who files a claim once it comes time to renew. Furthermore, once you're dropped, you'll have a heck of a time finding ANY company to insure you again, much less at a reasonable price. Basically, the companies don't want to insure people who have a history of actually using their insurance. The only exception I can think of is if your agent puts an additional rider on the insurance for which you pay extra so that if you need to file a claim, it won't be under your "general" plan.

I'd suggest calling some bike shops around town and ask them if they know of any companies that specialize in bike insurance. I haven't seen anything on the web for the U.S. (lots for the U.K.) but they may know of something local. If that doesn't turn up anything, call your home insurance agent, but be very blunt about asking how filing a bike claim could affect you come renewal time and ask about additional costs.

Personally, depending on how much your bike is worth, I would just self-insure. In other words, save up some money every month until you have enough to be your own insurance. It will probably be easier in the long-run to just save up $5k and be able to take care of any problems that arise without having to jeopardize your homeowner's insurance and jump through hoops to file a claim that the insurance company may worm their way out of paying anyway.

Edited by Whit 2004-04-20 9:29 AM
2004-04-20 1:10 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-04-20 2:17 PM

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
i do not own a home but do have renter's insurance but that only covers it against theft or fire ec. that occur while the bike is in the apt.

do not know about insurance specifically for you bike ...maybe under car? since some bikes costs are well into the 1000's ...
2004-04-20 4:02 PM

New user
Iowa
I'm in insurance and be careful about claiming on auto insurance, as most generally auto ins would NOT cover a stolen bike, even if attached to vehicle via carrier. Auto ins covers permanently installed equipment - such as after market stereo systems. Just had a client the other day have $400 worth of CD's taken and they were not covered items under auto ins as they were not permanently installed.

Whit is absolutely correct - try not to claim under homewoner ins as they are cancelling for as little as 1 claim.

I've got my road bike covered by a special endorsement, but would self-insure before filing a claim.

Just my 2 cents!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike insurance? Rss Feed