General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Back in the saddle again... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-20 1:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
Subject: Back in the saddle again...
After a one week layoff, I started my training again...but slowly. You see, April 6th was my 40th birthday, April 10th was my first Tri and Saturday was my big party. Let's just say that the refreshments looked like Gatorade, smelled like Gatorade, but they sure didn't taste like Gatorade. It was at my birthday party that I told all my friends what I did. That fact that I turned 40 has had little or no effect on me. But whenever I think about how hard I worked to finish my first tri, the emotion begins to well up in me as I still can't believe that I did it.

Check out my reaction when Shanna Armstrong (2003 Women's Ultraman World Champion) tells me that she has withdrawn from the race because the weather is too bad. Are you KIDDING me!!!

Shanna Armstrong stopped by my office today to see how I was doing and discuss which races I was interested in doing. We mapped out a race schedule to strategize. She kept telling me how my first tri time in Amarillo was faster than hers and she had good weather. Meanwhile, she would love for me to make the leap to the Buffalo Springs Lake 1/2 Ironman, but I am going to take it slow. Did I mention that I turned 40? Meanwhile, she talked to her biking and running coaches who expressed interest in working with me.

I have to give Shanna most of the credit for me completing my first Tri. She has been very attentive in my workout regimine. She makes a point to ask me how I am feeling, if I am having any difficulties, etc. In fact, there is probably not a day that goes by that I don't hear from her. Thank you Shanna for helping me reach my FIRST goal. I hope you will be there for me next time, too.

I have become a firm believer that no matter how resilient and determined you may be, a support group is key to success in TRI. I am glad I found BT. Thank you BT and thank you to all its loving and caring members.

Peter

2004-04-20 10:21 AM
in reply to: #20210

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Back in the saddle again...
Well, Happy late Birthday! :-) Sounds like you have a great support system and that 1/2 Ironman may be one of your goals yet!
2004-04-20 4:57 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX

I head buffalo springs has a nice start to the cycling leg . . . if you can do a sprint in a winter storm, you ought to be up for most anything . . .

I have to agree with you on one thing - Thanks BT.  The folks here make training a little easier and a lot more enjoyable.  I know it helped me through my tri this past weekend.

TB

2004-04-20 9:58 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
A BIG CONGRATULATIONS on meeting your first goal!! I agree with what you have to say and can't wait till May when I attempt my first TRI. Sounds like you have received some wonderful guidance, keep up the good work. :-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Back in the saddle again... Rss Feed