General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first flat (and some questions) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-20 11:59 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: My first flat (and some questions)

With my 1st TRI less than 2 weeks away, I just made the comment that I need to practice changing a flat (because I have never done that on my road bike that I have owned since Jan).

Well, I got my wish this morning on the way to work!  Yippee!  Man did that sucker blow - scared the crap out of me!

It probably took me at least 10 minutes to change the flat (and I don't know how much time I spent scrutinizing the tire while I rode the rest of the way to work).

My tire changing technique leaves alot to be desired.

I have some questions:

- how many tubes/C02 cartridges do you usually carry?
- do you take the entire tire off the rim, or just slip the new tube in?
- do you use those C02 cartridges?
- is it possible to get freezer burn from the cartridge "freezing over" when it discharges? (I had no idea this happens and was somewhat startled by it).
- how long does it take most people to change?
- are there some tips to speed this up?
- can "snake bite" tire punctures be repaired, or should I toss the tube?
- do patches work on theses higher pressure road tires?
- does anyone also carry a pump in case of problems with the cartridges?
- is it possible to overfill the tire using those cartridges?
- anything else useful to know?

Dan

Edited by dhyte 2004-04-20 12:00 PM

2004-04-20 12:52 PM
in reply to: #20295

User image

Veteran
St. Catharines, Ontario
Subject: RE: My first flat (and some questions)
Always a pump. I like to take the tire completely off and check for glass or anything that might have punctured the tire. When I put the tire back on, I put one side of the tire on the rim. put the tube in and then put the other bead over the rim. Partially inflate the tube with a pump first. I don't patch road tubes but yes it is possible to patch them.
You also want to check and make sure the tube is seated properly. Make sure the tube isn't stuck under the bead of the tire before you inflate it.

Edited by owie 2004-04-20 12:55 PM
2004-04-20 1:01 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Dan,

- how many tubes/C02 cartridges do you usually carry?
2 or 3 tubes, no CO2, just a pump
- do you take the entire tire off the rim, or just slip the new tube in?
No, pry it off one side
- remove the tube,
- feel inside of tire casing for sharp objects imbedded in it,
- remove object if necessary,
- if casing is split, insert something like a rag or a dollar bill to preven tube coming out
No, i always carry a mini-pump
- is it possible to get freezer burn from the cartridge "freezing over" when it discharges? (I had no idea this happens and was somewhat startled by it).
Yes, it happens.
I don't know about most people but it takes me anywhere between 3 and 5 minutes
Be methodical
- can "snake bite" tire punctures be repaired, or should I toss the tube?
Yes, that is the most common puncture and I repair these until I run out of patches
- do patches work on theses higher pressure road tires?
Yes, they work very well;
- just don't use the glueless patches, these don't work on higher pressure tires
No cartridge, just a pump
- is it possible to overfill the tire using those cartridges?
Yes
- anything else useful to know?
Get yourself a mini-pump, it is a lifesaver
I keep mine in the leg of my cycling shorts against my thigh

Dan
2004-04-20 3:56 PM

User image

NW Suburbs of Chicago
Interesting thread.
I had heard so much about the CO2 cartridges I thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread.
However, I went to the bike shop AGAIN this week and the owners/speed cyclists all say they only use pumps.
Their recommendation was to carry 2 tubes and a pump and to pump up the tube a tad before inserting it into the tire to prevent pinching the tube - the cause of the "snake bite".

I am going to carry my pump and tubes for training rides and use a CO2 cartridge in a race and experiment.

2004-04-20 6:58 PM

User image

Regular
Seattle
For my first tri, I carried 2 CO2 and 3 tubes. I noticed a cartridge fall at mile 5 or so, but didn't think much of it (hey, I was going fast). Well, roundabout mile 90, I got a flat. Andguesswhat? The cartridge I had dropped was the one with the adapter (or whatever you call the part that attaches to the valve). OOOPS. Biked/walked a mile to the top of the big hill, where I managed to borrow an adaptor from another rider, but the new tube went flat. Wound up borrowing a pump from another rider. But, by this time, my rim was thrashed, and the new tubes went flat immediately. (*&(*&^$(*^#

For my next race, I will carry a pump AND CO2. CO2 will be first choice, since they're fast, and can inflate better than a small hand-pump. Pump will be there as backup.

Given my prior experience, I'll probably also carry a mini patch kit (2 glueless patches). Again, as backup.

How many to carry? 2 or 3 tubes should do it. One thing to consider for a long race (IM or 1/2) - toss a tube and extra cartridge in your special needs bag. Now, most races you won't get this bag back if you don't use it, but nice to have the extra. (ie, you flat in the first 20 miles, it's nice to get a new spare tube just in case.)

How long does it take? Heck, I've changed my touring bike's tires 10 times, and usually take about 10 minutes. Rode my wife's racing bike (20mm tires), though, and it took me 30 minutes because I just kinda slapped it on there at first. Take your time, and it'll go smoother.

Can you patch a snakebite? I'd say yes for a training tube, and also for in-race repair. But I'd want a new tube for any race. While you can get a good patch, I don't see why you'd risk it on race day. The patched tube can be a nice backup.

As for freezer burn - my race was the first time I'd ever used a cartridge (dumb). I couldn't tell if it was working, so I held it up to my ear to listen... and got a full blast right in my ear. To be honest, I was afraid I'd done permanent damage, because I couldn't hear out of that ear for an hour or more. And that's the kind of day it was!
2004-04-20 10:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
Dan;
I forget which number it is but I am sure having a flat the morning after you talk about practicing changing a flat is definitely one of Murphy's law's (not your dog's laws by the way).

Non-the less it sounds like it was quite the experience.

2004-04-21 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Hey Dan,
I use CO2 in races only - light weight, small/compact and very fast; but very expensive compared to free air from my pump...

- is it possible to get freezer burn from the cartridge "freezing over" when it discharges? (I had no idea this happens and was somewhat startled by it)
most cartridges come with a foam case around them. you can also get special shells (which i use only due to lack of any idea of what the may be called) you can place the cartridges in.

tube change wars at the bike shop somethin like 1min 30sec (700c wheel in bike start and finish)

as above, be systematic, know the process; practice

- can "snake bite" tire punctures be repaired, or should I toss the tube?
best prevented with care. some are going to happen, most are preventable. yeah, can be fixed no probs

seems to defeat the purpose in a sprint - cartridges save you carrying big heavy pumps, and allow you to stay competitive in a race if you get a flat. in a longer endurance race however - I would probly take a pump just in case

aidan
2004-05-06 7:59 PM

Just had my first flat this morning...and it came as quite a surprise. Does anyone have any idea as to how often I can expect to get a flat? It would appear based on comments from others that I may have been lucky to go for so long without experiencing my first!
2004-05-06 8:25 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Michel and Aiden answered most of the questions (as did others, too)--but one thing I would say tip-wise that has proven very, very helpful!

When replacing the tire after changing the tube and you have that last bit to place in the rim. It should be the valve area and do it away from your body.

Let's see...

What I mean is, tuck the side of the tire away from the valve into your groin (horizontal to the ground) and then using your thumbs and pushing away from your body but towards your palms, press those last few inches around the valve back into the rim.

I hope I was able to explain it! That dropped, like 3 minutes off of my tube changing technique!

Never use CO2 pumps. I figure the day that I'm actually in danger of placing within the top 20 of my age group, I'll start to incorporate that into race day strategies, but until then--for me, it's a waste of money and of resources (Earth first, my friend!!)

Dana :-)
2004-05-07 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MN.
On the pump issue, Last weekend I picked up two pumps one for me and one for the wife (tribarbie), they are made by crank brothers, very small and light comparable to the co2 size pumps, they will fit in a small to medium size wedge bag, and they say that they will pump up to 100 psi. They also have a way to switch them to high volume low pressure so you can use for mountain bike tires as well. Thought I would mention this because I was happy to find them so we wouldn't have to have frame pumps on the bike. AL.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first flat (and some questions) Rss Feed