General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lack of Hunger Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-20 9:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shiloh Illinois
Subject: Lack of Hunger
Ever since my marathon I went from really hungry to not hungry at all. Im forcing myself to eat so I can maintain weight though. Is it normal to have a decreased appetite after an even like that? or something else..

2004-04-21 10:37 AM
in reply to: #20396

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Subject: RE: Lack of Hunger
my guess is that the marathon has thrown the homeostasis of your metabolism out the window. your body recovered by inducing hunger to restock energy levels, and now that you are recovering from the marathon, you are not burning any energy, therefore you arent hungry. How long ago was the marathon? it may be your body is not used to this kind of physical exertion, and therefore behaves in that way? I seem to remember your are teenager like me , I ran a half marathon when I was 12 and was feeling the effects months afterwards (i competed in the sydney half marathon under the instructions of a bad coach). It was however, a lesson well learnt that until physical maturity, doing such endurance events (especially high impact events such as the marathon) probably isnt the greatest idea. The main consequense of this is burning out at a young age. I would suggest focusing your training and race schedual on shorter distance events such as the 800m, but also including maybe a 5 - 10km x-country run for an endurance base (with adequate recovery days). Is it possible to be a world class endurance runner without a sprint to finish off the race? most do amazing final lap splits in the low 50s, and can do that due to the sprinting base they build in their teens.
aim high, but be sure you go the right way about achieving your goals. smart training now = better performances in the future.

aidan

Edited by Pro_rider 2004-04-21 10:57 AM
2004-04-21 4:28 PM
in reply to: #20396

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shiloh Illinois
Subject: RE: Lack of Hunger
It was 3 and a half weeks ago, Ive been running long distance for a year and a half now, so my body is used to it. It seems like once you get a taste for endurance events you cant stop.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lack of Hunger Rss Feed